What's new

Straight razor shaving and cartridges.

I enjoy shaving with straights and with DE's. I recently ordered a Trac II handle with a few blades just for fun. I remember how long some of those cartridges lasted for me (as I was also using an electric razor).

Now, when I use a straight, I frequently have to do a little touch-up with my DE. I think it's just because of the size of the straight blade and the angles of my chin.

I'm thinking it might be fun to use a cartridge for this. Rather than go over my whole face, perhaps even several times, to clean up after a straight I'll use a two bladed cartridge. I probably won't need to use it in any area other than the chin. This also means that a cartridge should last forever as long as I keep it clean and dry.

It will be a good excuse to play around with a cartridge again.

I'm never going to go back to cartridges as my primary means of shaving but they do have certain things that are are good at.

Do any of you pull out the old cartridges sometimes (other than for travelling) just ...because? :)

I've got an old original Track II from around my college days. If I'd been satisfied and stuck with it and not been lured into the newest multi-blade thing being offered I might still be using carts. That said I do pull it out sometimes when I'm pressed for time, or not feeling well, or sometimes just because... But usually not more than once or twice in a month.

I pitched or PIF'd them all. My brother in law was psyched. I travel with a straight and strop now. If I can't use a straight, I'll find one of the DEs hidden under the sink.

I got the Trac II in the mail today. I was in a hurry to shave, which usually means I don't use a straight but I pulled it out for one pass and then used the Trac II to finish up.

It was kind of fun and reminded me of what the Trac II is good for. It's good for being in a hurry as it requires no technique and if you want to go over a tough to get spot you can do it over and over with no injuries. :)

It isn't exactly "fun" to use but it was interesting to have that option. It was also interesting to use a cartridge with a brush and shaving soap and it was interesting to use a cartridge now that I'm used to multiply pass (which I still did with the cartridge).

Yes when I use mine I do use the multi pass process. One thing good about the Trac II, it is more forgiving on the lather which is what makes it more useful to me when I'm running late or not feeling well. :)

Top Bottom