What's new

Could anyone provide info on this J.A. Hencklels Rapide please?

Hi,
My first post here so please excuse my ignorance. I found this razor at a Garage sale for $1. TBH I got it because I liked the dove tail box. I have tried the razor and it shaves well but I have to go a lot slower and getting used to a new angle was a bit dodgy. Anyway here are a few pictures and if anyone could provide any info I would appreciate it. What years it was made, how common it is etc. I'm not looking to sell but would like to know about what its worth. Thanks.

Attachments

• $Rapide 1.jpg
    $Rapide 1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 80
  • $Rapide 2.jpg
    $Rapide 2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 79
  • $Rapide 3.jpg
    $Rapide 3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 78
Worth is $1.00. [emoji4] I recently picked one up like yours for about $40, so you saved yourself some cash. Great find!

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
It's worth whatever you are willing to pay. B&B is not an appraisal site. It is against our terms of use. As with all antiques, they are subject to the market. It's a nice razor, at any rate! Enjoy it!

Kindly,
Adam

Thanks all for the responses. Sorry about asking worth. I wasn't looking for an appraisal but was just curious. I was more interested in finding out the history of it. I searched the web and the best I could find was that it was probably made 1910-1930 but I could find none with a wooden case like this one. It was interesting trying to figure out how the blade loaded and finding that my local grocery store carried the blades from GEM.

[MENTION=113616]Daves-M1A[/MENTION]

I think those boxes are box-joint, not dovetail.

Last edited:
The Rapide is my favorite razor. I do not find it overly aggressive. In fact I don't think it can nick you and it is wonderfully loud -- The Ultimate Shaving Machine . Upon someone's recommendation here, I use the spine off the back of a Gem blade as a shim on the underside of the Gem blade loaded onto the razor. Or half of a spine. (I have a different model Rapide though.)

TobyC do you have a Rapide?

The Rapide is my favorite razor. I do not find it overly aggressive. In fact I don't think it can nick you and it is wonderfully loud -- The Ultimate Shaving Machine . Upon someone's recommendation here, I use the spine off the back of a Gem blade as a shim on the underside of the Gem blade loaded onto the razor. Or half of a spine. (I have a different model Rapide though.)

TobyC do you have a Rapide?

Nope.

The Rapide was originally developed by Ernst Scharff in Frankfort, Germany, and patented in 1891. It was well regarded and when Scharff's patent expired in 1911 several companies, most notably Henckels, were quick to come out with their own versions of the Rapide. Production of these razors continued at least into the 1930's.

The Scharff Rapide and the subsequent copies were all designed to use wedge style blades that were meant to be stropped before each use and honed when they became dull. Most sets included a blade or two and a stropping handle.

$rapides.jpg

Fortunately, most Rapides will also accept a modern Gem style single edge blade. The Rapide is a smooth and aggressive shaver when loaded with one of these.

However, the Rapide needs to be loaded with one of the wedge blades it was designed to use, properly honed and stropped, in order to really be appreciated.

Lately I've been using several of the new single edge razors that use the Feather Artist Club type blade. Despite being developed well over a century ago the Rapide (with a well prepared blade) is capable of delivering a shave that is as good or better than the best results from these modern razors.

$rapide_blhol.jpg

Rapides were quite popular, especially in Europe, and it is not too difficult to find good user grade specimens at reasonable prices (although $1 is certainly a bargain). Mint condition sets complete with all accessories and good blades are sought after by collectors and will fetch premium prices.

Congratulations on a great score.

--Bob

Based on one Rapide I have, marked Ernst Scharff, I suspect that Henckels may have produced razors for Scharff prior to the patent expiring, in 1911 I have read. The razor is in a red painted tin box with the Henckels twins logo on it but the Henckels name is not any where on the razor or box. No Henckels twins logo on the razor either. The razor is the early version without blade stops so using it with a modern Gem blade is a bit of a PITA though per posts from others it can be done. The razor is pictured on the box top along with the word "Rapide" and the twins logo. Also the words "Sicherheits-Rasirmesser" "Rasoir de Surete" and "Safety Razor". Case is a bit beat up but not bad for 110 years old or so. The tin box is two piece and has the inner part slide out of one end to open. The Henckels twins logo is on the closed end of the outer part as well as on the top. The razor itself uses set screws pressing on the face of the wedge blade to set blade height.

I also have a very similar appearing Henckels Rapide in a similar red tin box but it has blade stops and the spring loaded blade guides more commonly seen. Readily usable with Gem type blades or Feather blades for the Valet Autostrop razor. That box has the Henckels name and twins logo prominently applied to the box though the razor inside is completely unmarked. The twins logo is repeated four times on the box. Al markings on the second box are in German. No English or French. It was bought from a seller in the Czech Republic.

Top Bottom