What's new

Help Needed

Hi Guys
I usually live in the straight razor section of the forum but I suspect I may find some help here. I have a Parker 180 which was given to me by my brother and is of great sentimental value. (I will try to attach a pic).
I would love to be able to use it but the rubber bladder that is pressed to fill it with ink is rock hard. I live in Canada and if anyone can supply me with a supplier of Parker parts and could tell me what I should ask for I would really appreciate it.
Thanks. Gord
IMG_4281.JPG

Hi Guys
I usually live in the straight razor section of the forum but I suspect I may find some help here. I have a Parker 180 which was given to me by my brother and is of great sentimental value. (I will try to attach a pic).
I would love to be able to use it but the rubber bladder that is pressed to fill it with ink is rock hard. I live in Canada and if anyone can supply me with a supplier of Parker parts and could tell me what I should ask for I would really appreciate it.
Thanks. GordView attachment 1799428
That is a really cool looking pen. I'm no expert on the Parker 180, but I did a quick search and found this link that may be of interest. http://richardspens.com/ref/profiles/180.htm According to the website these pens can be fitted with modern Parker converters and cartridges. However, if you want a complete restoration, if they can be repaired you need to find a repair shop. There might be some NOS available of them as well. I am not sure. I am sure that someone with more knowledge on this will chime in on these as well.

Just searched the bay for "Parker 180 converter" and there was two NOS available. Looks like $22.50 + $4.00 shipping. Ops you are in Canada. Can you shop on US bay?

Thanks for the quick response. I am not looking for a restoration back to original. I just need something that will allow me to use it.

As noted, any Parker converter will work. They're readily available on EBay. Also, you can buy Parker ink in cartridge and use that instead of using a converter with a bottle of ink. The cartridge is more convenient, but the converter allows you to use whatever bottled ink you like.

A fun fact about the 180 is that the nib can be used both rightside up and upside down. The majority of the 180s I run into have medium nibs, but write as an extra fine when flipped over.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
If Richard Binder is still running Richard's Pens, that's a great place to get your pen fixed. I've bought several Namiki Vanishing Points from him -- he will "tune" the nib to one's request. Having used his up against a stock VP I can say there's a positive difference.

I also had him restore my father's Military Clip that he carried through WWII, and also the Shaeffer that he was presented after the war for his work serving the veterinary profession as a field consultant and "traveling salesman."

I realize you're not wanting to "restore" but giving a pen a good work-over, addressing any found issues, will give you back a pen that honours the memory of the person who gave it to you and the history you have with them.

O.H.

1. Lovely Pen.

2. Concur re use of modern converter and/or cartridge. Indeed, I will go a step further and say that “disposable” plastic cartridges can be refilled easily with ink via syringe

3. Strongly concur re Danny Fudge at the Write Pen.

Hi Guys
Thanks. GordView attachment 1799428
Oh I wish that I could write, I love pens.

Thanks for all the responses, I have not checked the site for a while due to illness but I'm now on the mend.
Many many years ago my wife bought me a Parker 51 and I have never used the cartridges that came with it. Based on your messages, I dug them out and was disappointed to find that the outside diameter was too big to fit the faulty 180.
I intend to find some modern cartridges locally, and if they don't fit I will contact one of the Canadian suppliers that were recommended on this forum and purchase a converter. Or I may go straight for the converter as I would much prefer to use bottled ink.
Thanks again for your help.

Top Bottom