What's new

Merkur 34c thoughts, review and comparison to Maggard V3

So I purchased a 34c on a whim. I use a maggard V3 as a daily driver. I shaved with the 34c today for the first time.

It is more mild than the V3. It took three passes, plus touch ups, to get the same closeness as two passes with the V3. I had no irritation and used Stirling Phoenician Dreamcicle.

I think it is impossible to cut yourself with the merkur 34c. The build is good and the angle is easy to find. I did use 4 day old polsilver SI so that may have affected the shave some. I am using a 7 day gsb on the V3 with no increased passes needed. I am normally a two pass shaver with touch ups so HAVING to do more passes may just take some getting used to.

I think the merkur 34c is a good razor. I am not sure if it is a fit for me.

The 34C is a great mild razor, you just have to be willing to accept and work within its characteristics. If I had no other choices I would certainly be fine using it, but it's not up to the efficiency level I'm accustomed to.

The 34C is a great mild razor, you just have to be willing to accept and work within its characteristics. If I had no other choices I would certainly be fine using it, but it's not up to the efficiency level I'm accustomed to.
True. Debating on keeping it or not. May be good just to have for emergencies since I already own it.

The 34c was my first razor when I stopped using disposables. It's a bit too inefficient for me now that I have multiple razors to choose from, but it's undeniably a nice little shaver. It's now my designated travel razor.

I had a 34C for a short time, before passing it to one of my sons. I was quite pleased with it, but agree that the V3 is a bit more aggressive. Both are well made for their price points.

The 34C is my daily razor. To me its perfect.

I have a heavy beard, and I do two passes and a cleanup for a BBS (Astra SP blades)

I agree that the Merkur 34C is a mild razor. Perhaps too mild for me. However, when I finally added a Merkur 34C HD to my collection, I already had a lot of razors, which means it doesn't get into the shave rotation that often. So I have yet to master my technique, or pair it with the right blade.

Still, when a Fatboy on a Astra SP with 23 shaves on it gives me a better shave than a 34C loaded with a Gillette 7 O'clock Green w/ 6 shaves, something is up.

What I do love about the 34C HD is the heft and how it feels in my hand. That and the almost impossibility of giving myself an irritated shave. I don't mind the extra pass and touch needed, as long as the shave is comfortable.

The 34c is a great razor. I own a large number of razors and it is still one of my favorites. I can get near BBS with it in two passes.

The Merkur HD 34C is a average aggression razor, similar to a Gillette Flare Tip or a Muhle R89. It is a good razor to learn to shave with, and it has a good "appearance" and feel.

The 34C is my daily razor. To me its perfect.

I have a heavy beard, and I do two passes and a cleanup for a BBS (Astra SP blades)

I may have one Astra blade left. I haven't luck with them. If I do I will try it.

I agree with others. As many passes and touch ups as I did today would have lead to serious irritation with my other razors.

I like it. I think a fresher blade a couple more uses will solve my issues with numerous passes.

34C is not mild, It is smooth and efficent paired with sharp smooth Polsilver.

Its my #1 out of 12 vintage and new razors I own, and its the least expensive one.

I started DE shaving with the HD and still use it in my 8 razor rotation. Just a nice little driver that's an easy/auto shave for me, I think I could use if I was half asleep.

Had my second shave with it today. I used a new GSB and different software. Did my normal two pass. Got a DFS. No touch ups. Pretty good razor. With a few more shaves it will be dialed in nicely. Still more mild than what I am used to but it I see what all hoopla is about. I enjoy it.

So I purchased a 34c on a whim. I use a maggard V3 as a daily driver. I shaved with the 34c today for the first time.

It is more mild than the V3. It took three passes, plus touch ups, to get the same closeness as two passes with the V3. I had no irritation and used Stirling Phoenician Dreamcicle.

I think it is impossible to cut yourself with the merkur 34c. The build is good and the angle is easy to find. I did use 4 day old polsilver SI so that may have affected the shave some. I am using a 7 day gsb on the V3 with no increased passes needed. I am normally a two pass shaver with touch ups so HAVING to do more passes may just take some getting used to.

I think the merkur 34c is a good razor. I am not sure if it is a fit for me.

I started DE shaving with the Heavy Duty 34C, and I can testify that it will bite when provoked! Once it tamed my bad habits from cartridge shaving, it performed nicely and I honed my skills on it. I PIF'd mine to a gent who was helping out a friend. Now I am vintage Gillette, and find that paired with the right blade that razors pegged as mild give me a great shave without drama!

I started DE shaving with the Heavy Duty 34C, and I can testify that it will bite when provoked! Once it tamed my bad habits from cartridge shaving, it performed nicely and I honed my skills on it. I PIF'd mine to a gent who was helping out a friend. Now I am vintage Gillette, and find that paired with the right blade that razors pegged as mild give me a great shave without drama!
You may be right but I think the V3 tamed me. It bit me hard several times.

It takes me awhile to 'dial in' a new razor, find the sweetest angle, optimal blade, etc., etc.

Thus, my opinion is that it is not really fair to compare a brand new razor to your daily driver without a reasonable period of exploration first. Just my $0.02. (I also like the 34c, especially with a sharp blade!)

The 34c is one of my two razors, the other being an Edwin Jagger DE89lbl. I have not found a reason to add another one yet, although I probably will get an adjustable someday...just because. Both of these razors seem to give about the same results for me, although I might give a sight edge to the Merkur because of the knurled handle being easier to hold with wet, soapy hands.

I find handle of Merkur 34 to be increasingly slippery compared to Edwin Jagger 3D handle, and awkwardly short.
Which Maggard head comparable to performance with Merkur 34 ?

Top Bottom