What's new

Tape after no tape

If....a razor has been properly honed without using tape, is it practicible to (after a while) re-hone the blade on different stones without re-setting the bevel, but using tape.?

I would think you'll need to continue using tape going forward, until the bevel is reset, if you do use tape now.

Yes it is doable, by going to tape you create a micro bevel but from that point forward you will have to always use tape or reset the bevel if you decide later not to use tape.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I would just reset the thing if you move to tape. Especially if you are planning on a different finishing method. Adding microbevels to planes and chisels help because instead of lapping a 1/4" wide bevel you lap maybe a 1/32" one instead. Less material to finish. On a hollow ground razor the bevels are pretty small already so I never understood the unicot method, but many use it and like it. YMMV

Why do you want to use tape? Tried it but I can see no reason for it.
Dave"Slawman" Huffman

Lots of "Honers" use tape as they don't want any hone wear and ones that don't hone and have nice razors with gold wash or worked spines want tape used, heck even I hone with tape on razors but just the ones that have the worked spines and gold wash but i have honed for others that request tape sometimes when they send them to me.

Top Bottom