What's new

Best Bulk Tobaccos To Cellar?

Hey BL folks! I'm looking to grow my tobacco cellar...and I figure its time to start thinking a little bit more economically than just buying tins.

What is your favorite inexpensive bulk tobacco to cellar?
Your favorite expensive bulk tobacco?

Lets keep em to the readily available varieties rather than the penzance/stonehavens.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Good questions! Here are some of my bulk tobacco favorites for the cellar. I'd categorize these all as "cheap" since I typically buy 1-2 pounds at a time to maximize the volume discounts, and do so when I have a 20% off coupon to really bring the prices down:

McClelland 2015 (excellent VaPer), 5100 (straight red virginia, great on its own or as a blending component)
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, Luxury Bullseye Flake, Luxury Twist Flake - buy these by the 1.5 pound box
Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices--1# bags are cheap and this stuff cellars great.
MacBaren Mixture (Scottish Blend)--this stuff is dirt cheap in the 1# bag
Dunhill - about once a year pipesandcigars.com runs a 1# special on EMP, Nightcap, and 965 which make these pretty affordable to cellar

I'll also make a plug here for buying pipe cleaners by the box and on sale: Smokingpipes sells the 48 bundle box of BJ Long regulars for ~$48; get that with a coupon, and you're printing money.

I've always loved Dunhill 965, Nightcap, and Early Morning Pipe. I would say you can't go wrong with any of those ......... if you like them of course. I'm just now broadening my horizons trying various Cornell & Diehl blends, such as, Bayou Morning, Haunted Bookshop, and if you like burley, Pegasus. All in bulk of course.

I'll second both C&D Bayou Morning, and Luxury Bullseye Flake for inexpensive bulk. On the more expensive side to cellar, I'd have to say Salty Dogs or some of the C&D Cellar series offerings.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The Peter Stokkebye blends that have been mentioned.
Every bulk McClelland Va-based blend that I've tried I've liked.
Samuel Gawith St. James Flake and Full Virginia Flake

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake is a go to for cheap bulk storage.

In terms of more expensive? Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, Rattray Marlin Flake, Rattray Hal O the Wind, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Samuel Gawith St. James Flake, Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, Gawith, Hoggarth & Co Ennerdale Flake, Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co Bright CR Flake, Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co Bob's Chocolate Flake... and I could go on but that's because I'm a GH&C fiend.

I'm not one for commitment but I do have the stokkebye navy and bullseye in bulk. I also have Peterson connoisseurs choice in bulk. Actually everything else I have is in tins or about 2 oz.

For me:

Premium- Marlin Flake, Gawith Best Brown Flake & FVF
Bargain- McClelland 5100, Stokkebye LBF

I've got others, but those are the ones I'd concentrate on if I had it to do over.

I've really really been eyeballing the Luxury Bullseye Flake...looks like I should be buying it, instead.

Thanks for all the great answers so far!

I've really really been eyeballing the Luxury Bullseye Flake...looks like I should be buying it, instead.

Thanks for all the great answers so far!

It's a little sweeter than Escudo. At equal age, Escudo is the undisputed champ - but the 1.5 lb. box of LBF is less than half the price per ounce.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
LBF certainly is worth a bulk purchase. Smoke it while it ages. When you're finished, the Escudo you bought at the same time may be getting pretty good!

Top Bottom