What's new

45 things every Self-Respecting Man should own by age 30.

I found this list via www.stumbleupon.com ... if you're not using this great Internet tool, you should be.

https://www.jackthreads.com/jtedit/[email protected]

This is posted in The Haberdashery because most of the list is articles of clothing.
But there are other line items that equally apply to The Mess Hall and other sub-forums as well.

I'm glad to say I have most of this list covered.
A few items are either not applicable, or can be obtained with little outlay of cash and effort.

He spelled paring knife incorrectly. It's weird, but that one spelling error makes me discount the author's authority on the subject.

Most of that stuff seems like no brainers to me.

He spelled paring knife incorrectly. It's weird, but that one spelling error makes me discount the author's authority on the subject.

typos do that to me too. I can't tell you how many presentations I've been through where they use the wrong "complementary" and I just stop reading/listening.

Same here. Poor spelling and grammar thwarts a message every time for me.

I noticed "pairing" as well ... and you're right, just a small error like that can impact a writer's credibility.

Whenever I see a misspelled word, I want to do something about it, but even when I point it out to the original source of a memo or an eMail or a sign, it is never corrected, and they will make the same mistake(s) time and again.

List seems pretty good to me. I would say a clothes brush, not a lint roller. How would someone get to age 30 without owning a belt?

A "cotton" blazer? I would think a wool blazer, although it can be light weight. Or, I suppose, linen. Also, he emphasizes the importance of knowing the difference between a sports coat and a blazer, but suggests a gray blazer. I would suggest that a true blazer is never gray, although the usage of this term varies, I suppose. Blazers other than navy or perhaps a lighter blue tend to represent specific things, such as golf championships, rowing clubs, and the like.

I also do not agree with his source that says a sports coat generally has the same number of sleeve as front buttons.

I would call him on his use of the term "button-downs" for shirts. He says to have six, but only three of them actually have button-down collars.

"16. A quality timepiece." - He must be from New York City. [edit - bio sez Staten Island. Called it!]

Well, for me spelling dont count for nothing as I cant spell or write. As far as the 45 things, I'm missing 22 of 45. At the age of 53 and I'm happy with what I got. Dont know why anyone would want a suit. Just my opinion on one item in the list. I cant ware it to work, Dont go to church and cant see any reason if my life time to need one. Or a Tie!

Sorry, I just dont agree.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Well, for me spelling dont count for nothing as I cant spell or write. As far as the 45 things, I'm missing 22 of 45. At the age of 53 and I'm happy with what I got. Dont know why anyone would want a suit. Just my opinion on one item in the list. I cant ware it to work, Dont go to church and cant see any reason if my life time to need one. Or a Tie!

Sorry, I just dont agree.

I was married in a suit and will probably be buried in a suit. Events between these two, are negotiable.

I was married in Jeans, work in Jeans and go out in Jeans. But this is me. I understand some folks feel the need to dress up. The way I look at it is people should be happy I'm dressed! :lol: I will leave it alone now.

There aren't many offices in my line of work where boots are appropriate.

The lack of any kind of pliers or vice grips make for a very disappointing beginner's toolbox.

How would someone get to age 30 without owning a belt?
+1

A "cotton" blazer? I would think a wool blazer, although it can be light weight. Or, I suppose, linen. Also, he emphasizes the importance of knowing the difference between a sports coat and a blazer, but suggests a gray blazer. I would suggest that a true blazer is never gray, although the usage of this term varies, I suppose. Blazers other than navy or perhaps a lighter blue tend to represent specific things, such as golf championships, rowing clubs, and the like.

I also do not agree with his source that says a sports coat generally has the same number of sleeve as front buttons.

I think a more general criteria would be "it can't include polyester".

There's a few more nits that I could pick, but I think the author saved both the best (and the worst) for last. Some of you guys already talked about the "pairing knife" damaging his credibility, but I think #45 on the list is the real kicker.

45. An alternate pair of bed sheets. Wash your sheets once a week. You are an adult now and you are no longer shotgunning "Ice" beer in your grimy dorm room shower.

I can't imagine any reason someone would think this was worth including unless they themselves had got to age 30 without washing their bedsheets. Ick. :bored:

I can't imagine any reason someone would think this was worth including unless they themselves had got to age 30 without washing their bedsheets. Ick. :bored:
I've managed to make it to age 62 and I wash my bedsheets about once a year (usually on the 4th of July, when I deep-clean the Master Bathroom) whether they need it or not.

Q: Do you know when Life-Long Bachelors clean their house?
A: Whenever the hell they feel like it.

Then again, maybe if I had paid more attention to housekeeping,
I wouldn't have been single (and lonely) for so long.

Unless I find myself working somewhere that requires me to dress nice, a great deal of the items on that list are unessasary. And some of it just makes common sense. Like cleaning your bed sheets or having proper shoes/boots for your job.
As far I'm concerned as long as you have a steady income, clothes on your back, a roof over your head, reliable transportation, food to eat, a loving family you can provide for, and a good friend or two, you have it made. Everything else is just a luxury. But my idea of self-respecting is different from others.

Last edited:
Unless I find myself working somewhere that requires me to dress nice, a great deal of the items on that list are unessasary. And some of it just makes common sense. Like cleaning your bed sheets or having proper shoes/boots for your job.
As far I'm concerned as long as you have a steady income, clothes on your back, a roof over your head, reliable transportation, food to eat, a loving family you can provide for, and a good friend or two, you have it made. Everything else is just a luxury. But my idea of self-respecting is different from others.
+1 ... well said.

Reading closer, I would say there are many nits one could pick. Good points on boots and pliers. Seems odd to lead with boots. I have Goretex hiking boots, rubber boots, duck boots, and Dr. Martens. Probably others. Only the Dr. Martens are really leather and I would not consider them to be essential. I think a grown up man probably needs something he can walk in the rain in without his feet getting soaked, but that is about it. Pliers is a major thing to overlook. I am not sure one needs a carpenters level. Lately I just use an app on my phone.

I think the author meant "button up" not "button down" shirts. The shirts in the cited article are not all button down and I see no particular benefit to a button down collar.

I do not know that anyone absolutely needs a watch these days and I did not read up on what a quality time piece is. A Timex watch does not look bad and keep incredible time.

I am not one who endorses the idea of a signature fragrance. My wife, however, does. Fragrance, probably. Although, I am not sure about that.

Re suits, I am not sure. One does end up going to things like funerals on short notice where one would be underdressed without a suit. I would think that most people end up needing a suit for some purpose. Maybe I am wrong. These days a navy blazer would probably do as a suit substitute for many men.

I would think one would want more than one set of sheets, yes.

I do not care about the spelling. It is an opinion piece, anyway. Something sort of fun to think about. A lot like old articles about being a gentleman and needing to always carry a pen knife, a handkerchief, a watch of some sort, tie polished shoes with repaired heels and soles, an umbrella, pen and paper, a comb, be shaved, wear a tie, wear an undershirt, have combed hair, be able to cook a simple meal, have good handwriting, never be unintentionally rude, etc., etc.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

46 Things every guy should own by age 30.

1. Dictionary
2-46 ... see other guy's list.

46 Things every guy should own by age 30.

1. Dictionary
2-46 ... see other guy's list.

Does make the author sound like someone who does not actually use a paring knife. Although anyone reading my posts is going to see a lot of typos, not that I hold myself out as an authority on anything, much less on the maturation of a male human beings!

More nits. I am not sure matching dishware is necessary.

Grooming tools are good. I do not think I would even suggest buying a "grooming kit." Just buy and replace individual items as you lose them, like I do!

I would think a grown man should have a pair of scissors somewhere around his abode. If they can double as kitchen shears all the better.

His signature at the end of the article would suggest to me not taking the article too seriously.

dave

Things you should stop doing by age 30- stop shotgunning beers...

While a decent list, I'm not sure there needs to be an "authoritative" list on what we need to have by age 30. I actually just turned 30 in March. To expect people to have all of this stuff at an age where you are kind of starting to hit your stride in your career (like I am) is pretty high and mighty. Also, a lot of people my age got hit pretty hard by the financial crisis by not being able to find jobs straight out of college. They may be 3-5 years behind on their career.

I'd say I have a good bit of this stuff, but not because of some list. I JUST got a good navy suit. I found a good seamstress in my town who did a great job on the suit, but I don't have a "go to tailor" (said in a very snooty voice). I love boots, so thats pretty much the only footwear I own. Some of the other stuff, you just get when you get married. Matching dishes, good knives, cookbooks, etc. Other stuff, you start getting when you get your first house. If I still lived in an apartment, I'd probably have no need for some of the specific tools listed.

I honestly learned a good bit of this stuff just by being around B&B since I was about 20. I know about watches, maybe I'll get one some day. I can't wear them at work, so my phone does fine.

Also, if you didn't put a pair of jumper cables in that first car you got when you were 16, you are not a man!!!

Top Bottom