What's new

45 things every Self-Respecting Man should own by age 30.

typos do that to me too. I can't tell you how many presentations I've been through where they use the wrong "complementary" and I just stop reading/listening.

Funny you say that, I was visiting Colleges with my son this season and during one presentation, in front of about two thousand people, they misspelled a couple of simple words. I might not have caught them, if they were on a piece of paper but these words were two feet tall, in red letters, on a two hundred foot wide screen! I turned to my wife and son and told them that if they cannot spell nor proof read during a sales pitch, it might not be the best place to get an "education" from, especially not at $30k/year!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hmmm...45 Things every guy should own by age 30
proxy.php

1. Your own black-tie affair / tuxedo.

$Black - Tie.jpg"[FONT=&amp]Better [n[/FONT][FONT=&amp]ouvelle] than never”. Lord Weidenfeld[/FONT]

Last edited:
Maybe he just uses the knife to cut things in half?

Well said!

We really are picking this apart. But I guess having a reliable alterations tailor who really knows you, seems unlikely. I do not know that I have ever had that and I am way over thirty. Not that it would be a bad thing to have.

I suppose I would not bother with the gym membership either. Lots of folks have gym memberships they do not use. There are lots of way of getting exercise. I would not say buying a gym membership is a sign of maturity! No problem if you are going to use it, of course.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Funny you say that, I was visiting Colleges with my son this season and during one presentation, in front of about two thousand people, they misspelled a couple of simple words. I might not have caught them, if they were on a piece of paper but these words were two feet tall, in red letters, on a two hundred foot wide screen! I turned to my wife and son and told them that if they cannot spell nor proof read during a sales pitch, it might not be the best place to get an "education" from, especially not at $30k/year!

I'm a LOUSY speller, but that would be a deal breaker for us. Of course, my wife was an English teacher and homeskools our son, and he spelled at a post high school level at 8 yrs old, so I would have been the only one of us three not to notice the spelling......

I have no problems with the original list but I wanted one that would apply more universally. In aiming for a list that, I think, would apply to 90-95% of the men out there, I have come up with my top 25.

1. [FONT=&amp] Pocket knife AND multi-tool
    [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&amp]Quality writing instrument and paper to match.
    [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&amp]A [/FONT][FONT=&amp]proper[/FONT][FONT=&amp] set of dishes including glassware.
    [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&amp]Two LED flashlights. One for around the house and one capable of sufficient light to fix a flat at night.
    [/FONT]
  5. [FONT=&amp]A few essential shirts. No problem with the basic idea, but the last one on the original list was kind of like “other”. The first 5 are a pretty good list.
    [/FONT]
  6. [FONT=&amp]A quality briefcase, a good backpack and a duffle bag. [FONT=&amp]The briefcase/backpack thing just doesn’t look right IMO. This is an and/or list.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
  7. [FONT=&amp]http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/01/29/art-of-manliness-classic-skills-and-manners-for-the-modern-man-is-available-once-again/ or https://www.howlongtoreadthis.com/book_details.php?asin=1607740060&ean=9781607740063 or preferably http://www.gutenberg.org/files/39293/39293-h/39293-h.htm. Yes, the last one is a bit dated (1860) but it still garners 4 stars on Goodreads and was reissued in 2006 and 2011.[/FONT][FONT=&amp] More in-depth and gets you into the MINDSET, not just a book of rules.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
  8. [FONT=&amp]A leather wallet, preferably one that is scanner proof for security of your personal data. Part with a bit of cash and get one that will last.
    [/FONT]
  9. [FONT=&amp]Cologne and a good aftershave[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
  10. [FONT=&amp]An appropriate timepiece. Good looking watches can be had from Timex if your income is more modest or lifestyle more rugged and you want a dispose-a-watch. If not, then look to spend in the low hundreds.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
  11. [FONT=&amp]At least 1 well-fitting [/FONT][FONT=&amp]navy or charcoal suit.
    [/FONT]
  12. [FONT=&amp]An active hobby and a hobby that stimulates your mind.
    [/FONT]
  13. [FONT=&amp]Quality dress and athletic socks that match[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
  14. [FONT=&amp]Shoe care kit that can take care of whatever types you own.[/FONT]
  15. T[FONT=&amp]ool kit something like this. https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-4754/Tools/170-Piece-Shop-Tool-Set?pricode=WY836&gadtype=pla&id=H-4754&gclid=CMPyu7TO4tACFRc7gQodqwMEvg&gclsrc=aw.ds
    [/FONT]
  16. [FONT=&amp]A copy of a few of the classic novels (all having been read – BY YOU).
    [/FONT]
  17. [FONT=&amp]A classy blazer.The label should not include words like polyester, rayon, dacron, acrylic, naugahyde (vinyl), pleather, etc.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
  18. [FONT=&amp]An ironing board and an iron.
    [/FONT]
  19. [FONT=&amp]A quality pair of denim and chinos, broken in.
    [/FONT]
  20. [FONT=&amp]A basic grooming kit.
    [/FONT]
  21. [FONT=&amp]Clean unripped and unstained undergarments
    [/FONT]
  22. [FONT=&amp]A lint brush.
    [/FONT]
  23. [FONT=&amp]Two leather belts (one black and one brown)" and 1 web belt, black or tan.[/FONT]
  24. [FONT=&amp]More than one set of white goods. Keep them clean.
    [/FONT]
  25. [FONT=&amp]Some kind of hat that serves to keep the sun off your face. You aren’t getting younger and skin cancer knows no income bracket. [/FONT]

I find it ironic that the author of the list is essentially telling people that they aren't doing something correctly if they haven't prescribed to the list within a certain time period of life, but while discussing hobbies he takes the approach of "You do you".

I am a little past the age of thirty, and the only thing I need to own is the confidence that I don't need an online list to tell me what I need to own or how to be "a real man".

I find it ironic that the author of the list is essentially telling people that they aren't doing something correctly if they haven't prescribed to the list within a certain time period of life, but while discussing hobbies he takes the approach of "You do you".

I am a little past the age of thirty, and the only thing I need to own is the confidence that I don't need an online list to tell me what I need to own or how to be "a real man".

What would you have said if the first item on the list was a spork?:a30::a30:

That's a lot of typing for items that are widely regarded as common sense. Also, there are a few items on this list that a "Self-Respecting Man over 30" does not necessarily need by age 30... or possibly ever? A lot of items would be nice to have, but "must". How pretentious and snooty.

I read this like "I am a man. This is a list of stuff I own. Be a man and buy the stuff I own."

Can't stand people like that. At all.

Last edited:
Does make the author sound like someone who does not actually use a paring knife. Although anyone reading my posts is going to see a lot of typos, not that I hold myself out as an authority on anything, much less on the maturation of a male human beings!

More nits. I am not sure matching dishware is necessary.

Grooming tools are good. I do not think I would even suggest buying a "grooming kit." Just buy and replace individual items as you lose them, like I do!

I would think a grown man should have a pair of scissors somewhere around his abode. If they can double as kitchen shears all the better.
big difference between typos in posts and typos in a blog or article. I don't capitalize properly and if i'm on a tablet or phone it's even worse.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
At the age of 53 and I'm happy with what I got.

This list is for guys who are only 30 ... them youngins's still a few years away from that level of zen contentment with life.

Dont know why anyone would want a suit. Just my opinion on one item in the list. I cant ware it to work, Dont go to church and cant see any reason if my life time to need one. Or a Tie!

As a generality, I'd say it's a good idea. But of course every man should examine his own life and address his own needs first and foremost.

I do think, though, that every man should have some sort of "dressing up outfit" for weddings, funerals, court appearances, and taking the missus out to whatever evening event she likes going to either on her birthday/anniversary ... or shortly thereafter to try to make up for forgetting her birthday/anniversary. Better to be prepared and have an outfit at the ready than to be left scrambling at the last minute ... or showing up underdressed. It needn't be expensive, and you don't need a suit and a blazer ... as Knize mentions, for many gents, a blazer is going to be enough to fit their needs and then some.

I JUST got a good navy suit. I found a good seamstress in my town who did a great job on the suit, but I don't have a "go to tailor" (said in a very snooty voice).

Well, there's "tailors" and then there's "tailors". 99% of them aren't "snooty", or for "snooty" people ... they just work hard for not much money repairing and altering peoples' clothes. If you are thinking of leather stuffed chairs and mahogany everywhere and "does Sir need a second pair of trousers with Sir's bespoke suit?" ... okay: snooty.

But a good tailor does more than just suits ... and almost all of them don't actually make suits at all; they repair and alter "off the rack" stuff ... and not just suits. (And having a "go-to" tailor doesn't mean you go to him every week ... but you have the knowledge that he's a competent, reliable tailor so that if and when you need him, you go there.)

big difference between typos in posts and typos in a blog or article. I don't capitalize properly and if i'm on a tablet or phone it's even worse.
It's not journalism. It's a nerdy blog that is terribly written and (what I consider) belittling. In lieu of good spelling, the point the author was trying to make was made clear. Everyone knew he meant payring... It's just some she she poo poo list made by a self-entitled guy with an Internet connection.

Last edited:
I do think, though, that every man should have some sort of "dressing up outfit" for weddings, funerals, court appearances, and taking the missus out to whatever evening event she likes going to either on her birthday/anniversary ... or shortly thereafter to try to make up for forgetting her birthday/anniversary. Better to be prepared and have an outfit at the ready than to be left scrambling at the last minute ... or showing up underdressed. It needn't be expensive, and you don't need a suit and a blazer ... as Knize mentions, for many gents, a blazer is going to be enough to fit their needs and then some.

+10 I think the basic gist of this list is, you're 30, time to grow up.

Yeah, once you turn 30 you generally realize that most of your stuff needs to get thrown out and replaced (unless you're married, in which case that happened years ago!)

I am not sure one needs a carpenters level. Lately I just use an app on my phone.
He probably meant that you need it to hang the art work that you should have.

I think the author meant "button up" not "button down" shirts. The shirts in the cited article are not all button down and I see no particular benefit to a button down collar.
The buttons help to keep the necktie in place.
Also, if the collar buttons down there is less chance that you need to iron it, but I don't think that was the intention.

I do not know that anyone absolutely needs a watch these days and I did not read up on what a quality time piece is. A Timex watch does not look bad and keep incredible time.
Since the invention of quartz time pieces, they all keep time well. I have a $20 Timex with a nylon strap. Nice big numbers and hands.
Expensive watches are what New Yorkers use for a status symbols if they don't own a car, or so I've been told.

Yeah, once you turn 30 you generally realize that most of your stuff needs to get thrown out and replaced (unless you're married, in which case that happened years ago!)

While I don't disagree, I have always been curious what would happen if one didn't subscribe to it. Would it affect the individual more after 30? Or would it just be an influx of over 30's inciting what they need to be 30?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
+10 I think the basic gist of this list is, you're 30, time to grow up.

Well...

... "yes, but".

I don't want grown men in their 30s, 40s, 50s and so forth to think that I think they "haven't grown up" because they don't own an item on the list ... like not owning a suit or blazer.

I think we all (those of us on the downward slope of 30) remember back in our 20s living in some modest accommodation with whatever we could cobble together from thrift stores, garage sales and boxes from our parents' basements. Those were the good old days. But hey, as we move into full-grown adulthood, we tend to realise that our cobbled-together bare minimum collection of stuff needs an upgrade. And a second set of bed sheets.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm missing 22 of those items.

I don't care how old I am...I'll never have a gym membership.

Top Bottom