What's new

My First Meer Has Arrived-Journal of It's Coloring

Nope, but I got an old wool sock with a hole right where the big toe goes...would that work?
Oh oh oh I have a bunch of those!!! I ordered me some orlick gs this morning to go with my new meer. What are some of the good everyday non aro baccy's out there?

Tonight makes bowl number 3 and I again filled her with Nightcap. The LOTH and I went for a stroll tonight and I brought my meer along.

Oh oh oh I have a bunch of those!!! I ordered me some orlick gs this morning to go with my new meer. What are some of the good everyday non aro baccy's out there?

Someone more experienced than I will need to answer this question. It is probably best asked in a separate thread of it's own.

Looking good! I never have tried a meerschaum pipe. Maybe someday hahaha. Enjoy!

Thanks. I've been eyeballing the SMS meers at Boda for 2 years. The price for these Strambach pipes was simply too good to pass up. I'm already saving for a SMS from Boda for March Meer Madness [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You are on the right track for those already with the Orlik GS. I like things you can get in bulk for everyday stuff... Bayou Morning, Arcadian Perique, Bullseye Flake. On the English blend side I like well balanced middle of the road bulks like Peter Stokkebye English Luxury for an every day latakia, or Campbell's Smoke Shop #6 Medium English.

Thanks. I've been eyeballing the SMS meers at Boda for 2 years. The price for these Strambach pipes was simply too good to pass up. I'm already saving for a SMS from Boda for March Meer Madness [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I haven't paid much attention to the meer pipes there honestly. Maybe I should hmmm. They sound interesting from what I've read. Aren't they kinda fragile? That kinda worries me.

I haven't paid much attention to the meer pipes there honestly. Maybe I should hmmm. They sound interesting from what I've read. Aren't they kinda fragile? That kinda worries me.

Meerschaum in general or the SMS specifically? (In reference to the fragile question)

Meerschaum in general. I have only just recently surfed ebay a little looking at them. Don't know that much about them honestly.

Everything I've read says they are definitely a little more fragile than briar...but, I think as long as you have a pipe carved from block verses the pressed stuff you're probably ok. Plus most of the better pipes out there have fitted cases from what I've seen. All of the SMS pipes at Boda have a fitted case. The Strambach I bought doesn't have a case, not sure if any do for that matter. At this point I'm not into the intricately carved meers, I like the simple, solid bowls and I imagine that also helps some as I can see there being some fragility issues with some of the carved pipes. Keep in mind, I'm still very new to the white stone goddess at this point also so I may be completely off base :lol:

Nice info! I've been more attracted to the traditional shapes as well. Guess I'll do a little research and see what i can find low enough to let me try them. Of decent quality too of course. Might have to make a trip to boda to look at whats available there too. Hmmm

Nice info! I've been more attracted to the traditional shapes as well. Guess I'll do a little research and see what i can find low enough to let me try them. Of decent quality too of course. Might have to make a trip to boda to look at whats available there too. Hmmm

They have some mini meers there for a pretty reasonable price also. I'm thinking $30ish if I remember correctly. Possibly a little less. However I don't know who produced them and haven't asked.

The Strambach was $90 but they also have a different style for $80, free shipping.

I assume most good quality meerschaums are slighty more expensive because they have to be carved? Not sure what a good price range is to look in. Or even if I can get one haha

I assume most good quality meerschaums are slighty more expensive because they have to be carved? Not sure what a good price range is to look in. Or even if I can get one haha

Other than mini meers (which are a neat novelty IMHO, but aren't really a great representative of what it's like to smoke a meer), the price for good quality starts at the Strambachs, and goes up from there as far as I've been able to see. I would honestly say to save your $30 on the mini meers, save up the rest needed, and grab a Strambach as an entry level meer pipe.

They are more fragile than briar... as in they would most likely not survive a fall to a hard surface, and I would be a bit careful knocking dottle out of the bowl (don't hold it by the stem, loosen it with a pipe tool and mostly just pour it out and get the last bit with a pipe cleaner), but the solid carved traditional shapes will hold up over all. Lots of the carved shapes will have some pretty weak points in the carving, so they need a lot more careful and delicate touch.

You could also look for some estate meers on eBay. You can find some Barling, Jambo, and other African styled meers for a good bargain.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If your are into Balkan blends (or interested in them), PS English Oriental Supreme and Arango Balkan Supreme smoke very nicely in a meer.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Don't drop a meerschaum pipe.

Don't clean a meerschaum pipe with alcohol.

Don't be aggressive with a reamer on a meerschaum pipe, and be careful when using metal pipe tools, especially while smoking it so you don't gouge the chamber.

That's basically it for the definitive "more fragile" list. Other than those "commandments", baby or abuse as you see fit.

Top Bottom