What's new

Do you find Voskhod's a little inconsistant?

Let me first say that I like Voskhod's very much; they've been my go-to blade for a while now. But, I find one blade I might get 4 shaves from it, the next one maybe 6 or 7, the next one maybe 3, etc.

Anyone else find this?

I purchased a 100 pack of them and find them acceptable. However I have decided that my next 100 will probably be Astra SPs. The Volkhods just don't seem to be quite as consistent in the shaves, although that may be as much me as the blades.

Yes I noticed this also with my new batch but I honestly thought it was just my imagination more than anything. I'm averaging 3-4 shaves per blade at the moment.

True story

While we are discussing Voshkod blades, I'm fixing to order more for a variety of blade as i currently only use Astra, Voshkod, and Feather. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
True story

While we are discussing Voshkod blades, I'm fixing to order more for a variety of blade as i currently only use Astra, Voshkod, and Feather. Any recommendations?

Last Saturday I was at a shaving store and picked up a pack of Voskhods and Polsilver. I'm excited to see how the Polsilvers are.

True story

If you haven't tried them, I'd suggest Ladas or Rapira blades. Well priced. And the performance is quite fine.

Doc, I usually don't worry about the price as long as the end result is worth it.

Gillette Silver Blues are pretty good. Or if you want something from a different part of the world I think that Sharks work pretty well, and, they are cheap too. If I recall correctly they are from Egypt.

Not me, but I only get 3 good shaves from most of my blades anyway, including Voskhod - I could try for more shaves, but 9 times out of 10 I don't enjoy it

Anyone else find this?
I don't think the QC on 90% of the imported blades is consistent enough for all the feverish comparisons around here to be the slightest bit meaningful.

My take is that (except for possibly the really expensive stuff, which I haven't tried) the US Personnas are the most consistently good blades and have the best longevity and are thus the best value at ~$11.85/100. I never hear of people finding them spotty in performance, nor are cheaper imported blades able to give me more than half the shaves of the Personnas. I'm hard-pressed to get more than two decent shaves out of some of the imports.

I had one in a sampler, and I didn't find it impressive. I'm open to trying more in the future. I have heard that they are inconsistent.

So far the Voskhods I've used have been very smooth, but I started a new one this morning and it was pretty rough. I got a close shave, but had some tightness on my face and irritation on my neck.

I think it's time to start experimenting with other blades.

But I can confirm that for every pack of Vosks that I've purchased, I've had at least one side of one blade be a dud. It's a pretty high failure rate for a St Petersburgh blade. I still continue to purchase them at rock bottom prices but if that cost was to ever rise I would take my money elsewhere.

But the Voskhod is not a St. Petersburg blade; it's a Moscow blade.

Not very good for me, I used 100 and never was able to do more than 3 shaves (and the 3rd was a bit hard), with feather I do easily 7 shaves, and I was able to do 7 also with gilette nacet (just tried), will never buy voshkod anymore

I used to use Voskhod blades exclusively. I really liked that they were smooth and for a brand new guy (at the time) they were great because they were a tad forgiving. I am using Polsilver now and they are smooth and sharp. But I will likely have to move on to something else as it seems they are discontinuing that product. I never found Voskhods inconsistent but I tend to only use a blade for four shaves max. I also haven't bought Voskhod blades in about a year and a half.

I had my 3rd great DFS today with the Voskhod blade. I like them because they get my neck & chin area as good as more costly blades without nicks or neck irritation. I have 9 more blades to go & then I might order 100 of them.

You're correct, I misspoke. Of the Moscow blades, I've never experienced QC issues in anything but a Voskhod. I've used a ton of Rapiras and Ladas to no ill effect.

Oh, that's interesting. Among the Moscow blades, I only have extensive experience with the Voskhod, and I did encounter some inconsistency. I wonder why Ladas and Rapiras are more consistent? Different tolerances on the machines?

In any event, I'm currently in the midst of a prolonged love affair with Nacets, which certainly have that St. Petersberg consistent quality IMHO.

Top Bottom