What's new

Trapping

Thanks Mike. We had another batch of kittens that were about 4 weeks old when I caught the skunk nosing around in the front yard last spring.

Here's my meager collection of leg-hold, and live traps, that have just been sitting in plastic buckets for quite awhile. I have 2 or 3 snares hanging up in the shed but didn't want to dig for them right now. Looks like they could use some TLC...need to clean 'em up a bit and wax the leg-hold ones. And yes, the Schrade Trapper knife has been used for its intended purpose.

I've had several highly educated people tell me that I have a mind like a steel trap...all rusted and frozen shut. :001_smile
Love to see that Schrade close up if it's convenient.

What is your regiment for cleaning, boiling up the traps? Always a long summer day at my house to clean up last years mess and get ready for fall again.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
[MENTION=94643]Bhugo[/MENTION]...It's been awhile since I've done anything to them, Brian...as you can tell by the photo. The ones that are a little rusty I'll throw in a bucket of vinegar for a day or so then hose them down good to wash off the vinegar. The other ones I'll just boil. Then I'll run them all through the dye and wax routine.

As requested:

$IMG_0002.jpg

$IMG_0004.jpg

$IMG_0007.jpg

$IMG_0009.jpg

$IMG_0012.jpg

[MENTION=94643]Bhugo[/MENTION]...It's been awhile since I've done anything to them, Brian...as you can tell by the photo. The ones that are a little rusty I'll throw in a bucket of vinegar for a day or so then hose them down good to wash off the vinegar. The other ones I'll just boil. Then I'll run them all through the dye and wax routine.

As requested:

View attachment 706862

View attachment 706863

View attachment 706864

View attachment 706865

View attachment 706866

Man that is one beautiful knife. Stanley Hawbaker got me interested in Trapping as a young man as well. One of the best books for boys to read.

I boil in water, lye and then crystal dye. I let them sit in the dye and cool down overnight. I bring them back up to a boil the next day pull them out hot so they dry fast and dip them in hot paraffin. It's quite a process. I put them in plastic tubs with cedar or spruce boughs and store them in my shed.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've had that knife for over twenty years. It's still in good shape because it's lived in its box 95% of the time. Although it's case skinned a few 'coons and 'possums.

I believe I used a can of speed dip dye the last time I dyed. I think I'll use some powder this time. I talked to Andy Stoe over the phone a few times...super nice guy and he would give helpful advise. I was so sorry to hear he passed in 2011.

Oh, I forgot to post a pic. of my specialty traps. I put a little sugar and water paste on the pan and use 'em to catch houseflies. :biggrin1:

$IMG_0003.jpg

$image.jpg
I have been running a short coon line with my son. The weather is warm and we are catching more than a small line should. He is having a blast.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Cool!

That's one hefty lookin' 'coon...sure that's not a wolverine? :biggrin1: Looks like nice thick fur also.

IMG_0752.JPG

This is the result of our 1.5 week trapline. We had 6-8 traps out and checked them every day after school. Sent the furs all into the big NAFA auction for the first time ever. Not many furs but I wanted to learn how to do it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow! Nice fleshing and stretching, and inspection hole. Let me know what they bring up there.

Do you have a fleshing board and fleshing knives, or did you just improvise?

Wow! Nice fleshing and stretching, and inspection hole. Let me know what they bring up there.

Do you have a fleshing board and fleshing knives, or did you just improvise?

Oh, I'm all set up. I used to trap a lot. I have all I need to put up furs. I'm interested to see how much I get at the auction too. Prices have been going up a little.

Top Bottom