What's new

"Nivea Men Creme"?

Anybody have experience shaving with this? I picked up a tin a while back, I think because I read something posted by one of our good brothers that it works well as a moisturizing shave cream. Found nothing, despite doing my best to find any reference through the B&B search functionality. Now I'm wondering if I really read it or dementia is sneaking up on me. It's obviously not a life or death situation, but if anyone has any information on this, please share. I'm guessing no brush based on the cream's consistency and betting on a multi pass shave with no reapplication necessary.

Did you mean the Nivea Men (Sensitive) shaving cream? Mine is in a tube, not a tin. I can only compare it to two other shaving creams (both also in tubes): Speick and Antiga Barbearia de Bairro — Ribeira-Porto. All three produce fantastic lather, though Nivea has a plain and uninspiring soapy scent that I don’t love and as a result won’t repurchase.

It's just a different scent of Nivea moisturiser cream, not a shaving cream. I have heard of people using moisturisers in general as a form of brushless cream, but I'd keep it as an aftershave moisturiser.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_0372.jpeg
IMG_0373.jpeg

If this is the tin that you are talking about it is a moisturising cream. I have used it before on my hands mainly but it does work as an aftershave balm. It does come in a tin whereas the actual shaving cream comes in a tube.

Yes, this is the one. Buried, somewhere deep on this site there is a post from someone using this 'creme' for shaving. Sarir97, I do not mean the Nivea Shaving Cream, which I do have previous experience with. Zenex, I'm only using it to deplete the hoard of shaving stuff that has accumulated over the years. I doubt it has any BST value, and can't bring myself to discard, so it's just taking up space.

Yes, this is the one. Buried, somewhere deep on this site there is a post from someone using this 'creme' for shaving. Sarir97, I do not mean the Nivea Shaving Cream, which I do have previous experience with. Zenex, I'm only using it to deplete the hoard of shaving stuff that has accumulated over the years. I doubt it has any BST value, and can't bring myself to discard, so it's just taking up space.

I had this cream (I think it came in a set with some cosmetics). Personally, I used it as a hand cream in winter. I can't quite imagine how you could shave with it...

Somebody, somewhere here has, and recommended it. Well I've got it now so whether I like it or not, I'm going to use it. Like the great quote says, "use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without".

Uninspiring scent. Good aftershave cream, although it leaves a bit of a shine if I remember correctly. Great pre-shave cream.
Yeah, I used a tub in the past.

Great value.

Edited to add: the latest Nivea Soft cream is a better product, in my uneducated opinion.

Another edit, just to eliminated any doubt, this is not a shaving cream. Although one can try.
The few of us ,lucky enough, will not be able to remember what they used by the time the shave is over. Anyway...
So yeah, I would say go for it.

Last edited:
Never heard of it being used for shaving but I can recall reading that older German men commonly use/d Nivea Creme as an preshave.

Here's a 1934 Nivea Creme ad, touting its benefit as a preshave (taken from a German forum).
1710704309800.png

Nivea works well as a pre-shave. Beside the original and Soft, another one I used in the past and still have some is Nivea Care. If only used as a pre-shave the 400ml tub will last for a very long time.

Nivea works well as a pre-shave. Beside the original and Soft, another one I used in the past and still have some is Nivea Care. If only used as a pre-shave the 400ml tub will last for a very long time.
I've tried it a couple of times now and can honestly report that it works well but differently than most of us expect from a well performing cream, soap or croap. While it's lighter than some moisturizing creams, it's very viscous when compared with a dedicated shaving product, so you really have to be on your game with angle, pressure and direction. On the first shave, I reapplied small amounts for the second and third passes. This was TOO much as it left a residue that interfered with the absorption of my aftershave product. With the second shave, instead of reapplying, I worked with the residual cream left on my face after the first pass and minimized rinses in between passes (which I don't do much of anyway). The end result was a very effective, comfortable shave that left me with a well moisturized face but no good opportunity to use an astringent aftershave as is my preference afterwards. It also caused me not to use a facial moisturizer or shave wax after the aftershave as is my custom, because it would have been too much. Based on the experience - I will recommend it for certain specific situations. If you are in a rush, and only have time for a non-lathering cream and no post shave routine beyond a rinse and towel off, this could be your product. Also, if you are living in or visiting a cool dry climate, it works well, at least for me. Or if you're exposing your face to cold, windy conditions (skiing, hiking, biking, boating, etc.). Also for traveling as the tin is pretty small, and since you can't really use any other product afterwards, it'll minimize your kit size nicely.

From your post I understand that you used Nivea cream as a shaving product. Which is new to me and never considered using it that way, since it will get absorbed pretty quick. I have used facial creams as pre-shave, as mentioned in my post above, and some work well if you have an underperforming shaving cream or soap. At the end of the day, why bother?
Plenty of good products out there.

Oh, forgot to say, thanks for posting. Interesting take, for sure.

From your post I understand that you used Nivea cream as a shaving product. Which is new to me and never considered using it that way, since it will get absorbed pretty quick. I have used facial creams as pre-shave, as mentioned in my post above, and some work well if you have an underperforming shaving cream or soap. At the end of the day, why bother?
Plenty of good products out there.

Oh, forgot to say, thanks for posting. Interesting take, for sure.
I'm only using it because I have it in my bin and read someone's post on B&B several years back that recommended it as a shaving cream. Now I can't find that old post despite best efforts trying. My 'new' strategy to partially offset my various shaving related acquisition disorders is to use everything I have and hold nothing back. With a little bit of effort, in a few years, I should be able to reduce my 'clutter' by 20%.

Top Bottom