What's new

Who Likes Slant Razors? I Like Slant Razors!

Ok, the title is an exaggeration. My first slant razor was a vintage Merkur, and I wasn't impressed. I prefer slick-looking vintage razors with a bite, and too many of the German slants seemed to have plating issues, and worse, were kinda on the mild side.

My second experience with a slant is the Gratiot Krect razor that has quickly become the star of my rotation. I don't expect anything outside of a straight to match it.

Then I see Maggard offers a slant that's pedigree and the twisty appearance harkens to razors of the Weimer Republic; all for the price of a buritto and a couple of beers (Bay Area Currency). As a good minimalist I've been trying to cull the herd of DE's, but this has put me to the test.

I'm going to pull the trigger tonight, but in the meantime, I'd love to hear of other member's experience with this shaver.

I am still working on getting used to my ATT S2. It is a beautiful razor but for some reason--likely my learning curve--it is taking me some time to get used to it.

I have the Maggard slant. I picked it up when it came out in September, and it quickly became one of my favorites. It isn't too aggressive, but it's very efficient. It was my first slant, and I think it gives very smooth, comfortable shaves. I haven't really had anything bad to say about it.

The only other slant that I have is a Holy Black SR-71 that I just recently picked up. It's also a great shaver, but I have to give the Maggard the edge in terms of comfort. As far as I can tell, they both seem to be equally efficient.

They look all bent and twisted! :scared:

And it seems they've become a "fad", so I have no choice but to avoid them like the plague.

But please enjoy them if that's what you like, just not my cup of joe. :thumbup1:

Hi,

The Solingen differential slants (the same item was sold by several razor makers out of Solingen, Germany) are better than the non-differential ones. But, for me, the Doubly Twisted Slants made by Fasan are far better yet. And, the currently produced PAA Slant is a copy of a Fasan. Unfortunately, I have no first-hand experience with one yet, but I will get one the first week of January so I can compare it to the Fasan I have been using as a daily driver for the past three years.

And, these Slants I refer to are no new fad. They are vintage designs.

Stan

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Before going straight razor, my Fasan, Hoffritz and Ziglar slants were in Normal rotation.
The Ziglar is in my top 5 favorite DE in my collection.

$IMG_0105.jpg

$IMG_0106.jpg

I am a big fan of slants ever since I got my 39c. Right now, there are a bunch of cheap slants out there and they are all very good. I have the Ikon X3, PAA Bakelite, Fine Superlite, and RR German 37, all which were $30 or less. I did not get the Maggard slant because it was similar to the the original Ikon slant which was good but not great. All, except the RR, torques the blade and they were all just a shade below the Wunderbar when it comes to shave quality. Enjoy your journey.

I have three: RazorRock German 37, iKon X3 and iKon SC102. I've listed them in order of aggressiveness and personal preference, although all three are mild and efficient. Ironically, the RR37 is the least expensive of the trio. Not by much, but at $20, it's definitely a bargain.

Before going straight razor, my Fasan, Hoffritz and Ziglar slants were in Normal rotation.
The Ziglar is in my top 5 favorite DE in my collection.

View attachment 701566

I had both a Fasan and vintage Murker. I found the Fasan to be too lightweight for my taste. This is what kept me from trying the newer versions (Fine and Superlight) of bakelite slant classics.

I have two slants. One is a RazoRock German 37 and the other is a Stirling factory second. The Stirling is the most aggressive razor I own. So much so that I don't use it two days in a row, otherwise on the third day I don't even want to bring a razor to my face.
$tmp_26346-Slant-SHCH__40922.1472744509.600.600-938544661.jpg

They look all bent and twisted! :scared:

And it seems they've become a "fad", so I have no choice but to avoid them like the plague.
The basic Merkur slant has been in almost constant production since the 1930s - an 80 year fad ;-)

I'm a big fan of slants. Started with the Merkur, then a Hoffritz, a RR prototype, ATT S1 and 2, and a RR Wunderbar. Here is what I have minus the Wunderbar.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The basic Merkur slant has been in almost constant production since the 1930s - an 80 year fad ;-)

I mean lately, there's currently a rush to get slants and stainless steel. Slants were not on most shavers radar for decades, then new ones became available, and for some they had a "cool" factor that they couldn't resist. And you know how forum guys are, if Bobby has one Jimmy want's one too.

I'm not anti-slant for you fellas, I just don't want one for me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I seem to go from the RR slant / SR-71 to Gillette OLD / Fatip Piccolo.

Nothings better for under-nose than a slant, though.

AA

I've been using the Fine Slant pretty much exclusively since it came out in April. It's excellent for me. Also own the ATT S2 and Ikon X3, but don't like them as well as the Fine.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've been using my vintage 37G for a couple of weeks or so. It had been months since I last had picked it up.

Man, that thing can shave like a dream.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've been using my vintage 37G for a couple of weeks or so. It had been months since I last had picked it up.

Man, that thing can shave like a dream.

Yep, Merkur makes one of the best, so darn smooth. I can't understand the OP and his problem he had with his vintage one, mild yet efficient is a good thing in my book.

I had both a Fasan and vintage Murker. I found the Fasan to be too lightweight for my taste. This is what kept me from trying the newer versions (Fine and Superlight) of bakelite slant classics.

Hi,

My first Fasan was all bakelite, and I found it became much better when I changed to a Fat Tech handle. I plan on doing the same once I get one of the PAA ones.

My second Fasan was plastic handle and baseplate with a Zamak top cap. It was way top heavy. Neither a Fat Tech or a Bar handle I had helped it much. Then, I loaded the Bar with number 8 lead shot until I acheived balance. Much better. I think this is why Fasan later switched to a metal handle, as shown in the pics above....

Stan

Edit: Here is a link for those who would like to find out a lot about a lot of Slants:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/317346-B-O-S-S-Brotherhood-of-Slant-Shavers

Last edited:
Top Bottom