What's new

Who Likes Slant Razors? I Like Slant Razors!

Got 7 or 8 Apollo slants, one Ben Hur and one I call my Ben Pollo, a two-piece razor where the grip is marked Ben Hur and the baseplate is marked Apollo.

I've got a couple of Apollo and one Ben-Hur. I think Apollo must have made Ben-Hur because of an Apollo travel kit with a slant head, and an instruction sheet depicting the same razor, but the sheet is marked/titled Ben-Hur. Seen above in post #66.

Is there a common name for the razor?

That looks like a Lych slant. Here's a pic of mine with a swapped handle as I found the original too thin and slippery.

proxy.php

[MENTION=84529]rudyt[/MENTION] that's definitely it, I'd recognize that pseudo Olympic symbol anywhere. Thank you

[MENTION=58087]blzrfn[/MENTION] Lych, Dostuk, Brigantine, Dnjepr all are this same model. Almaz is another Russian with similar head but short metal grip.
@JimmyHAD Apollo and Ben Hur both were made by Herkenrath in Solingen.

@blzrfn Lych, Dostuk, Brigantine, Dnjepr all are this same model. Almaz is another Russian with similar head but short metal grip.
@JimmyHAD Apollo and Ben Hur both were made by Herkenrath in Solingen.
@efsk Thanks for the info Richard. That is very interesting. This Herkenrath company must have been a formidable force in Solingen. An acquaintance of mine, who is from Berlin, insists that 80 year old razor grinders have told him that most of the well known names in straight razors, from dubl duck, filarmonica, to Puma were all made with Herkenrath blanks.

I know for a time at least, Solingen had 'cottage' industry, where individual artisans worked at home supplying larger companies with the components of their products. I would love to get a detailed history of how that all worked, who the players were, and when it ended.

$E5111550.jpg$E5121551.jpg

Here are my last two SOTD photos featuring both of my Apollo slants. Each is a two piece with the latter being quite large.

Here are my last two SOTD photos featuring both of my Apollo slants. Each is a two piece with the latter being quite large.
I've got the latter, if I'm not mistaken, and it is a larger razor, but my copy is quite a mild shaver. Nothing like the aggressiveness of the Merkur 37C, or the Wunderbar. Beautiful razors Apollos though.

$Grail1.jpg

I've both Apollo's shown, the smaller one in its bakelite box and the large one in a different model box.
Your outer box actually states it is a "straight" (Gerade) DE, not a slanted one. It also seems that "Gerade" is stamped out, so I've now learned my razor is a model 405, slant, and the same model exists as a "normal" DE as well. The price on yours (Mk 6) puts it before june 21, 1948.
Thanks for showing you both.

Top Bottom