What's new

Shavemac knot dimensions

Hello all. I finally have had some correspondence with Bernd about ordering a custom brush:thumbup: For anyone that's ordered directly from him have the knot dimensions been accurate as per your request? Or do they tend to be slightly larger or taller etc... I thought I remember reading somewhere that the knots come in larger than what was ordered so I'm not sure if I need to calculate that into my request of what i ask for...Thanks everyone!

Bernd specifies his knots as measured at the bottom of the glue, inside the handle. Measured at the top of the handle, where the knot sticks out, the size will be 1 -2 mm bigger. A Shavemac knot of 24 mm will thus measure at least 25,5 mm when measured as the others do.

My experience of the loft height is that it is dead accurate, we both measure from the handle to the highest tips.

My advice is to calculate with this - but of course every knot type and loft type has to be experienced for itself.

$3.jpg
2 band D01 in bulb and flat top (26 and 22 mm)​

The measurements above (by Rudy Vey) would probably have been specified as 24 and 21 mm by Bernd. :001_smile

Bernd specifies his knots as measured at the bottom of the glue, inside the handle. Measured at the top of the handle, where the knot sticks out, the size will be 1 -2 mm bigger. A Shavemac knot of 24 mm will thus measure at least 25,5 mm when measured as the others do.

My experience of the loft height is that it is dead accurate, we both measure from the handle to the highest tips.

My advice is to calculate with this - but of course every knot type and loft type has to be experienced for itself.

View attachment 698219
2 band D01 in bulb and flat top (26 and 22 mm)​

The measurements above (by Rudy Vey) would probably have been specified as 24 and 21 mm by Bernd. :001_smile

Well said.

I am specifically looking for a 3 band silvertip with the dimensions of 23mm knot and 50-52 loft. Am I better served asking him for a 22x50-52? I know most may think this is too soft no backbone etc... but for my face and what I'm looking for this should be perfect.

I am specifically looking for a 3 band silvertip with the dimensions of 23mm knot and 50-52 loft. Am I better served asking him for a 22x50-52? I know most may think this is too soft no backbone etc... but for my face and what I'm looking for this should be perfect.

[/URL]
My most comfortable brush; the Shavemac silvertip​

Welcome to the world of soft silvertips!! I would go for 22/52 mm. The reason is in the pic above; after two tries this brush is a blast from the past (before the backbone frenzy so popular nowadays...) and my most comfortable brush!

More info here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/441137-How-to-choose-a-nice-brush

Hope this helps. :001_smile

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe me I've tried the gamut of top tier brushes in all sorts of lofts. I finally had to admit to myself that 2 bands ( build and fan) and shorter lofts were not for me. I have a pretty fickle face... on top of having some mild rosacea. So believe me my face will tell me ( or more specifically show me) what it likes. I have sold off some very nice brushes in 2 band since they were just too dense and required too much pressure to splay. I also had to let go a nice custom DO1 3 band since it was just too scrubby and was a complete lather hog at 24x48mm. I have settled on Shavemac 3 band silvertip (not do1) since it's rediculously soft, not too dense, and has excellent flow through. And for me I now know I need a higher than 1:2 ratio of knot to loft but not too tall as to be floppy. None of the soaps or creams I use show any diffulty in ability to load or facelather with the specs I like so I'm in a great place all around. Happy face with no sacrifice in brush performance.

[/URL]
My most comfortable brush; the Shavemac silvertip​

Welcome to the world of soft silvertips!! I would go for 22/52 mm. The reason is in the pic above; after two tries this brush is a blast from the past (before the backbone frenzy so popular nowadays...) and my most comfortable brush!

More info here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/441137-How-to-choose-a-nice-brush

Hope this helps. :001_smile

Beautiful brush! If I may ask what is the knot measurement where it exits the handle? Is it 22mm or larger?

Beautiful brush! If I may ask what is the knot measurement where it exits the handle? Is it 22mm or larger?
It measures 23,5/53mm, it was ordered as 22/52mm.

By the way; if you are into traditional 3 banders do not overlook Bernds Finest bulbs! My finest puts most silvertips to shame in the soft department...

22/52 mm ordered, 23,5/52 mm delivered pure bliss... :001_smile

While it's not a Shavemac handle, it is a Shavemac knot. Mine is a 22/48 standard 3 band silvertip and I absolutely love it. It's got some backbone, enough that you know it's there and can get some feedback, but never feels even remotely scrubby.

proxy.php

Top Bottom