What's new

Feather AS-D2 - Not Liking It.Yet

All -

Wanted to see if anybody has had the same experience as I recently have. I got a Feather AS-D2 razor a few days ago after reading all the hype and wanting to try stainless steel. I excitedly tried it for the first time this weekend with the included Feather blades along with Trumper's Coconut cream, and honestly I hated the shave, much to my dismay. Tons of irritation on my neck, none on my face though. I am pretty sure I had the angle right (~45 deg.). I usually use a more forgiving blade since I have to shave every day for work, so I tried it today with my go-to Personna Blues and it was better in terms of irritation but this time not a close shave on the neck. It looks like after two passes I barely shaved.

I agree with the opinion that poor shaves are generally user error and not the razor's fault, so I am wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience as me. Maybe my neck area is just too sensitive for Feather blades but they are what performs best in the AS-D2?

Any shared experience or words of advice would be of help. Thanks!

For context, I typically use Mitchell's Wool Fat (see also: awesome!) with a Merkur 34C razor and Personna Blues. I get a DFS/BBS in two passes every time with no nicks, weepers, or razor burn. Maybe I should stick with what works and use Amazon's return policy on the AS-D2.

- Flank Bell

IMO, you may have had the angle (45 deg ) wrong. With a Feather razor, you need to hold the handle almost parallel to floor. This would make it an angle of less than 90 deg, maybe 80 deg. This takes some getting use to. I have had bad shaves with the Feather also. And the angle is the primary reason. I prefer razors that are held at 45 deg.

I agree with the opinion that poor shaves are generally user error and not the razor's fault, so I am wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience as me. Maybe my neck area is just too sensitive for Feather blades but they are what performs best in the AS-D2?

Any shared experience or words of advice would be of help. Thanks!

- Flank Bell
Not so much user error, more just getting the angle right and that comes with use, more like 80 degrees I would think. Also everyone's skin is different so irritation could be down to a number of things. Give it a few more tries before you give up. I find Feather blades work best but you may come up with a better option. Keep us informed.

Almost certainly equipment error. Send the razor to me and I'll dispose of it properly :tongue_sm.
To be more serious however one shave is not enough to decide whether you like a razor or not. One my first shave with it my GEM 1912 ripped my face to shreds, but after dialing in the angle it is one of my best shavers

I have the AS-D2. Let me say in front that many users here love this razor but I couldn't bond with it. For me it's a case of it probably being too mild for me.

Over time I've also found I prefer the shorter handles of the vintage Gillette's and other razors of that era. Longer handles just don't work for me.

It's a beautiful razor, it's solid through and through being chrome plated stainless steel. Over time though I've found I prefer brass and particularly single edge razors. Not trying to be a downer here, just being honest.

It is a very nice looking razor. Certainly smooth and easy to shave with. However, Some people do not have the skill to maintain a precise angle with any tool. Just like some people cannot play the violin or learn to play darts well. Coordination is a nasty *****! Some have it some do not. If that is the case the Feather AS-D2 is not for them. No insult intended. But, the Feather razor is a precise shaving tool , requiring a precise angle for best results and it is very well constructed. With any beard type it will shave as close as is physically possible. We can't after all be cabinet makers or diamond polishers, or even decent gravel shovelers! We all have favorites in everything in life. not bad, not good, it just is, And In this I am Unanimous!

If you're a rare bird, you'll get it right off. For the rest of us it's one of those learned experiences which - at least for me - took a few sets back to the shelf and shaves with other equipment, over time you find you know what to expect and even more your hands do what they have to to give you dfs or better without fighting the difference.

But that only happened over time for me; give yourself full value of the return policy and see if it makes a difference in your view. To me, they produce a fine 8 to 10 hour clean shave without thought. If I apply a bit more attention I'll get a great shave through the late evening. And mine does this, now, consistently without irritation.

Last edited:
Considering it’s the only DE-razor I’ve ever used in my life, I kind of “had” to learn how to use it.

Many will say the Feather AS-D2 is a mild razor. I can totally understand that. But, since it’s the only razor I own – there are some facets about it I’ve learned. (Some the hard way.) I’ve only used it with Feather blades.

Suggestions given to me from the beginning were to start at the 45 degree angle – that just caused a lot of pain and razor-burn. And, blood… yeah, there was plenty of that, too.

This razor requires a much steeper angle. It’s forgiving as long as you use it in that way. While learning how to shave with this type of razor, I used the “cap on the face and lower to cut” method. Since it was all new to me, I just began to develop the technique to be able to use it like this. (I have a thick, course, and dense amount of hair on my face and neck.)

After a few weeks, I mapped the growth-pattern of my beard, (it grows in all different directions), and found some more efficient ways to shave using this razor. When I shave WTG, it’s truly WTG – and, not North to South. (And, same for ATG.) What I learned is… the razor can be as aggressive as you want it to be. The angle can be adjusted by as little as a few degrees to increase that effect. By finding that proverbial “tipping-point”, that’s where you find that the razor goes from being just so-so… to being a consistent close shave every time.

The “forgiving” part of the razor is just using it at a steeper angle and robotically going through the motions. But, I’ve found by using incremental angle-adjustments on certain portions of my face allow for a much closer and comfortable shave throughout. (Figuring out where those areas are is dependent on the growth of your beard.) As of now, I can get an “almost” consistent BBS every time using two-passes, (true WTG and true ATG), and touch-ups in three areas.

And, pressure. (Yeah, the no-no of the wet-shaving universe.) On my touch-up areas at the steeper angle, (chin, jaw-line, and each side of my Adam’s apple), I apply a light amount of pressure to get these areas close by buffing true ATG. Not even inch-length buffs, but even smaller. No irritation, no scrapes, and no cuts. It really is forgiving in this aspect.

I hope this helps.

Good luck with whichever direction you choose to go.

I haven't tried an AS-D2 but from my experience of a Feather blade in a Schick Krona, I'd personally be very wary. In other hobbies with a big kinesthetic element, I've ignored my initial impressions and intuition at my peril and have later regretted taking the advice to stick at it and adapt my skill/technique when with hindsight I should have cut my losses and bailed.

You already have a good system and technique with your Merkur and Personna blades. The AS-D2 is clearly a retrograde step for you as you are getting inferior results to your existing set-up. So just ignore the advice of those invested in AS-D2s and send the damned thing back for a refund whilst you can. Try a Fatip Piccolo instead – it's a diametrically opposite philosophy to the Feather and one I found a natural progression from a Merkur.

I haven't tried an AS-D2 but from my experience of a Feather blade in a Schick Krona, I'd personally be very wary.
The AS-D2 is clearly a retrograde step for you as you are getting inferior results to your existing set-up. So just ignore the advice of those invested in AS-D2s and send the damned thing back for a refund whilst you can.

Comparing the Schick Krona with the Feather AS-D2 is a little misleading as they are very different animals. I stick by my advice and say try to refine your shave angle and give it a chance.

Comparing the Schick Krona with the Feather AS-D2 is a little misleading as they are very different animals. I stick by my advice and say try to refine your shave angle and give it a chance.
You misunderstand my context. I have experience of the Feather blade in what is acknowledged to be a mild and forgiving razor so I'm aware of its strengths and limitations. The bigger issue for me is if something doesn't feel right initially then, my advice born of experience is to go back to what is known and trusted, in spite of all the exhortations to 'give it a chance' from that product's advocates and champions. I assert that my experience and opinions are of equal value and weight to yours.

You misunderstand my context. I have experience of the Feather blade in what is acknowledged to be a mild and forgiving razor so I'm aware of its strengths and limitations. The bigger issue for me is if something doesn't feel right initially then, my advice born of experience is to go back to what is known and trusted, in spite of all the exhortations to 'give it a chance' from that product's advocates and champions. I assert that my experience and opinions are of equal value and weight to yours.
Sorry but I can't fully agree with that. You have to give things a chance, first impressions are rarely correct. But then I have only been shaving since 1961, so what do I know? :001_smile.

You would be in error, for this premise prevents you from learning things out of your previous experience. Knowledge of the blade does not confer kinesthetic comprehension of the razor platform. However you are certainly welcome to the scope and instruction you have currently gained.

Add that I do not dismiss your suggested steps going forward. Rather I used them as incremental transitory experiences which aided me in returning to a new system and seeing more clearly my misperceptions and misconceptions. Now, my experiences inform a better appreciation and use of that which initially I could not conceive.

Signed, not invested, just of a different experience.

It always takes me awhile to figure out a new razor, determine the optimal and blade,etc. IMO it is too soon to draw conclusions.

Handle parallel to floor, 85 degrees, are good ideas. You read so much about these being mild razors it's easy to overdo pressure when using one. I've had mine about 3 years and I'm finally learning to turn loose of my old techniques when I use it. It has become a much better shaver with much less irritation, and it's always been a pleasure to look at.

Ron I

I bought one of the AS-D1 quite a long while ago and found that, once I had mastered the angle, it was not the mild razor that everyone made out. (I have never liked the terms "mild" and "aggressive" but can't for the life of me think of a better description). I then progressed to the AS-D2 and find it even better. Not quite up to the standard of my ATT R2 maybe, but pretty close (still like my Gillette Toggle best though).

I have an AS-D1, so I'm not sure if my observations apply to your situation. I admire its construction, it feels great in my hand, and I do use it occasionally, but I have three other, much less expensive razors that I prefer to use. I believe that if you persist with it you will get to a point where it provides satisfactory shaves, but you may find it's just not the razor for you.

It will shave anybody if they know how to use it correctly. Some people don't want to learn or just don't like shaving with the razor, and that's fine.

The AS-D2 is an easy and intuitive razor to use, IMO - mild but efficient. And it works best with primo blades such as Feather and Kai. But like any razor, it will bite you if you screw up.

Top Bottom