What's new

Sterilize

This is all you need to do. Some gents here want to boil, put in dishwasher, etc. Totally not needed. Alcohol or Barbicide will make the razor the cleanest thing in your house for about 4-5 seconds.

A good cleaning and then a bath in alcohol or barbicide will do the trick nicely.

This is all you need to do. Some gents here want to boil, put in dishwasher, etc. Totally not needed. Alcohol or Barbicide will make the razor the cleanest thing in your house for about 4-5 seconds.
I have some 100 proof alcohol I use to make herbal tinctures. Do you think that will work?

~ When in doubt...Post it in
Badger&Blade ~

I must confess that the thought of using a razor that had 50 years of soap scum, hair, skin and blood caked on it grosses me out, no matter how much it has been cleaned. That's why I have zero interest in vintage razors unless it's NOS. I would probably take a blowtorch to it. No offense intended.

I must confess that the thought of using a razor that had 50 years of soap scum, hair, skin and blood caked on it grosses me out, no matter how much it has been cleaned. That's why I have zero interest in vintage razors unless it's NOS. I would probably take a blowtorch to it. No offense intended.
None taken....I look at it like this....barbers back in the "straight razor" days didn't buy a new razor for every customer. It's always been that blue liquid they dumped there razors, scissors, etc in. At least that's what I tell my self.lol

Badger&Blade ~

I know a guy that warped the handle on his brand new razor while he was boiling it before shaves, per instructions. If you burn all the water off, then whats left in the pot goes next.

I know a guy that warped the handle on his brand new razor while he was boiling it before shaves, per instructions. If you burn all the water off, then whats left in the pot goes next.
Lol. That would suck!

Badger&Blade ~

There's one born every minute.

To sterilise something with boiling water all you have to do is pour boiling water over it leave it there for a few seconds and then take it out. It doesn't even have to be boiling, water at 75°C (167°F) will kill everything, water at 85°C (185°F) will kill everything and also kill any spores. You don't need alcohol, barbicide, sodium hypochlorite, dettol, or anything else. Oh and by the way many faecal organisms are quite happy to be drenched in alchohol.

Soap and hot water clean everything.
Exactly and then pour boiling water over it and leave it there for no more than a few seconds - you only need to do this if you're paranoid. The amount of ... quite frankly utter nonsense ... that I've read here and on similar sites about how to sterilise a razor is quite amazing. For the record I work in a busy operations department and use very sharp sterilised instruments every day.

Last edited:

Putting a fork in your mouth at any restaurant is way skeevier than any old razor you'll find. Air and sunlight will kill almost everything out there, cleaning a razor is more about knocking the scum off and down the drain than anything else.

Putting a fork in your mouth at any restaurant is way skeevier than any old razor you'll find. Air and sunlight will kill almost everything out there, cleaning a razor is more about knocking the scum off and down the drain than anything else.

Precisely, and that's before we start talking about transmission vectors and the like. Clean it thoroughly using soap water and a soft brush. Job done.

I keep trying to convince my wife this....she's so paranoid and that's why I can't buy vintage razor. I want to get a Fatboy and a NEW LC.....oh well, happy wife, happy life [emoji53]

Great! Now I'm going to have to bring my own silverware when I go out. [emoji12] Lol. Great point.

Badger&Blade ~

So then barbercide is probably so that the barber doesn't have to boil water everytime to sterilize something. Makes sense.

Badger&Blade ~

Top Bottom