What's new

Help me identify stones/stamps/kanji

Thinking of adding some stones to the collection.
Been thinking a while to get a kita for cutting power and an asagi for finishing.
My search has come up with these stones. They come from an unknown vendor.
I'm just wondering if these are any good?

Any knowledgable people here care to chime in? Would it be safe to pull trigger on these?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 74
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 75
Seems like no one wants to burn their hands or reply on this question.
So i'll reformulate my question. Stones are listed as a nakayama kiita and a shobu asagi.
When doing some research regarding nakayama stamps i found 1 with the exact same kanji. However, the outline of said stamp differed. It didn't have 90 degree corners as this one does.
Would that indicate a falsified stamp or what?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I know just enough about jnats to get me in trouble, but have a look here. [MENTION=31979]Gamma[/MENTION] or [MENTION=73183]Steve56[/MENTION] should be able to help.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The grey stone stumps me, maybe Alex or Gamma can help. The koppa has a generic stamp as best I can tell in the rectangular box, you see it on many stones and I have at least 2 right now that bear the same stamp. My guess is that it's either a wholesaler stamp or a stamp that says the stone came from the mountain above kyoto. The other stamp is odd, and I've seen it on a stone I got from Takeshi-San at AFramesTokyo a while back. IIRC it means 'between' or 'missing', but the problem with kanji seems to be the context in which it's used. Sorry I couldn't be more help, maybe drop Takeshi-San an email. Post if you learn something please!

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_0320.jpg
    $IMG_0320.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 61
Haha i'm sorry gamma. I guess i was kinda anxious trying to get some info.

I did find a thread on SRP from alex depicting the nakayama stamp. albeit slightly diffrent. See atachment.
The fact steve has seen the same stamps at a-frames got me exited.
I will try to dig up more info.
Thank u guy's. I'm pretty sure i will be happy with these stones.

$image.jpg

I think i found the right kanji. Many thanks gamma. It is found somewhere in the glossary on your site.
純 think its kanji for jun? Where as junsuina 純粋な means pure and junsei 純正 means real.
That wouldn't make sense though would it. Not sure i have the right kanji here

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Stamps can and are counterfeited so the reputation of the seller is more important than what the stone says.

Unless the stones are very costly - I wouldn't sweat the stamps in this particular scenario.

Well i didn't really sweat it. The shobu cost me 140 € and the nakayama 180 €
To me it is quite pricey tho. And i dont like beiing lied to.
Anyway the stones have arrived and am very happy with them. I just need to find me some good nagura's now.
Raising a little slurry is a PITA as both stones are very hard.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 26
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom