What's new

"Pot of Beans" as a side for tacos?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The way to cook pintos.

4 cups dry beans
7-1/2 cups water
2 cups beef broth
2 cans RoTel tomatoes and chiles. Just one can, for Yankees or very small children.
2/3 lb sliced bacon, or ends & pieces
1 lb andouille sausage, cut up. More if desired. Substitute kielbasa or smoked sausage if no andouille can be found.
1 link boudin, removed from the casing. If boudin is unavailable, you have my deepest sympathies.
2 large onions
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp Lea & Perrins
1 tbsp Tony's or Slap Ya Mama. I prefer the SYM but those of delicate constitution might prefer Tony's.
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp Steen's cane syrup
1 bottle stout or porter, left open all day. I like Guinness.
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Soak beans in a big bucket of water overnight. The more water, the better. Agitate or gently stir several times during the soak process. That is the secret for fart free beans, using lots of water for the soak.

Chop and fry bacon in cast iron skillet over low heat, to render out most of the fat. Cut up one of the onions, finely mince the garlic.

Drain beans, discard soak water. Rinse. Dump soaked beans into large pressure cooker. Add the fresh water, RoTels, and in fact, add everything except the cilantro and the second onion. Bring to a boil uncovered for a few minutes. This is important, because otherwise it will foam up under pressure from any CO2 in the beer. Close the pressure cooker lid. Cook 40 minutes at 15lbs pressure with barely enough heat to rock the weight once in a while. Or 10 if your cooker only goes that high. Whatevah. Let pressure go down naturally. Open lid, check beans. Liquid amount should be about right, but adjust if necessary by adding water, or cooking uncovered at a good boil. Mash up a few spoons of beans to thicken the broth if desired. You know you want that. If it is more than a half hour before serving, simmer very gently covered, without pressure. Finally, add cilantro and second onion, chopped, and simmer 10 more minutes right before serving. The cilantro essence evaporates quickly so do this right before time to eat. Serve with fluffy jasmine rice and a bottle of Tabasco on the table. Leftover beans can be mashed up in the morning for refried beans or pureed with Herdez salsa for bean dip to go with chips.

Thanks guys! It won endorsements of the others at the table, well it passed...

The beef? In my sandwich at lunch. Checked the chorizo ingredients and it was strictly pork.

dave

Thank you to all for the suggestions, the deed is done! Our daughter stuck around for the weekend after all so an extra mouth to feed. Kept it simple and quick going with a can of pintos. The tacos were vegetarian so used a local chorizo for some meat in the beans along with onions, garlic, chipotles, toasted & ground cumin and a Louisiana (not the Cholula) Habenero hot sauce.

Mostly Mexican and Canadian ingredients, we have a local restaurant called Mexi-Can, been around a few decades now, so i'll borrow that name for these Mexi-Can beans. Served with feta sprinkled on top and some of that Cholula. Quite nice!dave

Looks great and That a good brand of beans.

Top Bottom