What's new

SE Observations to Date

Initially I wanted to post something like "If you enjoy DE shaving now, avoid SE at all cost!" The rationale would be of course, the personal (to me) fact that SE razors somehow take over your entire shaving existence.

Since finding the Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf and Schick injectors, I haven't lifted a DE to my face. Is there something wrong with me??

proxy.php

Initially I wanted to post something like "If you enjoy DE shaving now, avoid SE at all cost!" The rationale would be of course, the personal (to me) fact that SE razors somehow take over your entire shaving existence.

Since finding the Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf and Schick injectors, I haven't lifted a DE to my face. Is there something wrong with me??

proxy.php

Not at all! I have similar feelings but just when I dismiss DE shaving along comes OCtober and I use my NEW with a GSB blade and it restores my faith in Gillette! Variety is the spice of life.

I seriously think I could thin my den down to a shovel head, a NEW short comb, and a Slim and never miss my other safety razors.

Just don't ask me to give up any of my straights....

I've never had RAD before with any DE except maybe a slant... but ever since I bought that GEM junior I find myself searching the interwebs for a pre-1912 lather catcher about a half a dozen times a day. :drool:

SE shaving is delightful. DEs are fun. Injectors are cool. SRs are a deep rabbit hole with no bottom, but we are friendly and we have cool pass around boxes. I like having some variety in my rotation.

I'm not really allowed to chime in here, since I have never shaved with a DE. But reading all that could be read on sites like these, if the best shave possible was the goal, then clearly SE and the Feather AC type blades were the way to go. Lane, have you tried a modern SE?

I prefer the width of the razors which hold the injector blades, and the Gem types. However, I am influenced by the fact that all the AC blade types, with the exception of the aluminum, V2, Mongoose seem too aggressive for me.

Ron I

Nothing wrong with you for going all in on SEs. In fact you should do yourself a favor and send me all of your DE gear for good measure. :lol:

Interesting thread. I have been shaving since the early 60's first with a Gillette hand me down from my father, then I got hold of one of the first Wilkinson Sword "Sticky" DE razors and have tried just about everything else throughout the years. At present I use ATT (various models) and my trusty Toggle. Some time ago I took the plunge and obtained an ATT SE and was converted, what a shave!. I have been intrigued by various comments about the Every-Ready 1912 and, as I had one, I decided to give it a try. I bought the ER several years ago for £1 and it has been in my loft ever since. I got it down, gave it a good clean (I don't think it had been used very much), got a pack of 5 GEM blades and had my first shave today. To say I am impressed would be an understatement, what a shave!. Granted it is not quite to the standard of the ATT SE, but very nearly. For me it is a little on the light side (but, of course, that is a personal thing). The shave was very nearly as close and smooth as with my SE and this was only my first try.
I am pretty sure that if I had tried the ER earlier I would have saved myself an awful lot of money :001_smile.

Interesting thread. I have been shaving since the early 60's first with a Gillette hand me down from my father, then I got hold of one of the first Wilkinson Sword "Sticky" DE razors and have tried just about everything else throughout the years. At present I use ATT (various models) and my trusty Toggle. Some time ago I took the plunge and obtained an ATT SE and was converted, what a shave!. I have been intrigued by various comments about the Every-Ready 1912 and, as I had one, I decided to give it a try. I bought the ER several years ago for £1 and it has been in my loft ever since. I got it down, gave it a good clean (I don't think it had been used very much), got a pack of 5 GEM blades and had my first shave today. To say I am impressed would be an understatement, what a shave!. Granted it is not quite to the standard of the ATT SE, but very nearly. For me it is a little on the light side (but, of course, that is a personal thing). The shave was very nearly as close and smooth as with my SE and this was only my first try.
I am pretty sure that if I had tried the ER earlier I would have saved myself an awful lot of money :001_smile.

That's outstanding Matlock.

If I had started with SE I may have saved myself much $$ in RAD acquisitions. But nonetheless I appreciate DE and will no doubt return to it periodically. I can't pass up the occasional shave with some of the beautiful classics like the Old Type, the adjustable line and other iterations that are out there.

My first SE shave was with the ER 1914 and it required a bit of care (somewhat aggressive!). Then came the MM Clog-pruf and it was game over. That razor when paired with a GEM Personna PTFE blade is the best shave I've ever encountered. I'm just back from shaving with that combo and results are remarkable.

Took me 5 shaves with my newly ATT Colossus SE1 to dial in the right angle. Gonna stick with the Kai Mild Pinks for a minute. So far the experience has been blissful. Mild and efficient.

I drag out my birth quarter Gillettes for my birthday week, and maybe once or twice a year a I'll take out another DE (got some slotted blades from Tryablade for my Durhams) just for a change of pace but other than that I'm a dedicated SE shaver and have been for several years. I love my Gems, ERs, MMs but I also have a thing for the "other" SEs, the Auto Strops, Rapides, and C. V. Heljestrands.

I also suffer from RAD and I currently have a few SE's and DE's. I love the way the SE razors shave but I find myself longing to have a shave with my slants, my Maggard aggressive DE and a few other DE's. I guess my compromise is the Rocnel SE(P) which uses half a DE blade and it's an amazing shaver YMMV if you can load the blade which to me is a fiddly affair.

Welcome to the club. I have two Hawks, a Mongoose II, and El Jefe. I think each (except for El Jefe) is more efficient and comfortable than any of my DEs. In fact, one of my DEs (X3) feels like a wimp when I shave with it. I still like to grab my Wunderbar or German 37, though.

The Mongoose is my SE fave, with the Hawk a close second. El Jefe is a somewhat distant third, mainly because it's too aggressive for me to use every day. It is, by far, my closest shaving razor, however, and I would use it more often if I could somehow dial back its skin exfoliating properties a notch or two.

I enjoy my SE, ridiculous close and smooth shaves.

But beware, in DE land lurks the Timeless! Don't stare at it, just move along lest you wind up like me🙃

Top Bottom