What's new

Single best soap for "residual slickness"

For the past six months or so, I've been going through all my soaps and creams looking for the ones with the best residual slickness (RS). By RS I mean that quality where you make a pass with the razor and the newly uncovered skin is still slick to the touch, as if the soap left behind an invisible layer allowing for another pass. Obviously this is most valuable for shavers who "blade buff" or have a habit of making extra passes over the same place before regathering.

Interestingly enough, my two top candidates for RS are both sticks. (This makes me wonder if perhaps there's something about the way a stick is applied that causes it to leave behind a layer of unlathered soap, but I don't know yet).

Those two top candidates, in order of RS goodness, are La Toja and Valobra. Other goodies include Stirling, I Coloniali, and TH Ultimate Comfort. But those two sticks stand alone for now.

I'm getting some empty stick thingies to stuff with various other soaps so I can see if converting to stick form helps. In the meantime, what are your RS monsters?

I never gave this much thought...I try not to rely on residual lather/slickness...IME that's the first step to irritation, even a scrape :w00t: So, I re-lather before any blade work.

That said, I would say that, of all the soaps in my arsenal, Tabac has the best residual performance.

I notice the same thing about sticks that you do. I think applying the stick to the face and then face lathering does help with the residual slickness. You'll see many Arko users mentioning that one of the things they love about Arko is how slick it is, so I have a feeling that this is a common experience.

My non-stick RS monsters are Mike's Naturals, Sudsy Soapery, and the discontinued RazoRock 888 Eucalyptus. The Mikes and Sudsy both have clay in them. I think the clay contributes greatly to residual slickness. The 888 has sunflower wax and lanolin, and I suspect the combination of the two help make it slippery.

Residual slickness is also an indicator of post shave feel...at least I feel that it is. My favorites as far as RS are (in no particular order):

PannaCrema (Old Formulation)
PannaCrema Nuavia
Mystic Water
Silver Fox (Unobtanium)
Bain Amour
WSP Formula T

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Williams leaves a residual slickness that can barely be rinsed off my face. Slick, slick, slick. Haslinger comes in second.

I may sound biased, but slickest soap (and the best overall performance-wise) is Tabac. Of course of those I've tried.
I'm pretty positive you can get ANY kind of slick lather from it. From runny, juicing with water up to most dense and still slicky and mild.

I notice the same thing about sticks that you do. I think applying the stick to the face and then face lathering does help with the residual slickness. You'll see many Arko users mentioning that one of the things they love about Arko is how slick it is, so I have a feeling that this is a common experience.

You're absolutely correct. You can easily check it yourself. Take your fav shaving soap and just rub it with hands, like with ordinary soap. Keep rubbing(without brush). Very soon you'll notice the effect. Your skin will be covered with very thin, but very slick layer.

These are some of the slicker ones that I enjoy.

Sudsy Soapery
PannaCrema Nuavia
RazoRock Mudder Focker
I'Coloanali
Stirling

If we're talking strictly slickness & no regard for actual lather quality or post shave -- my choices would be Beaver Woodwright & Captains Choice

For me it's I Coloniali, Tabula Rasa, Antica Barberia Colla, Saponificio Varesino, Santa Maria Novella, Dr. Jon's, Xpec, Klar Seifen, Valobra, Dr. Harris, Panna Crema Nuavia, Tabac, Baume.Be

This is what I look for as far as one of the most important attributes to a shaving soap or cream.

Any soap from Saponificio Varesino will do.
And the champion over Saponificio Varesino is Tundra Artica IMO

For residual slickness of the kind you're talking about--some gents here seem to think you're asking about slickness in general--Tabac, Haslinger, Stirling.

Top Bottom