What's new

Cushion. Myth or reality.

Cushion. In another thread it was asked: What is cushion? In my opinion, and since I consider this reality (mine anyway), it deserves a serious discussion.
So, what is cushion? Here it is:

cushion noun [C] (PROTECTION)​

C2
something that makes the effects of a bad situation less severe

cushion verb [ T ]​

UK /ˈkʊʃ.ən/ US /ˈkʊʃ.ən/
to make the effect or force of something softer
Some use it for a clownery, some under their bum.

When shaving, I like to think of it as added layer of protection, during mechanical removal of facial hair.
Before I continue, I have to say that everything below is either my (uneducated) opinion or the result of paid labor that others, much smarter than myself, conducted as sponsored (P&G and others). I say uneducated as I only studied friction and tribology in high school and the first two years of university.
So, feel free to add your own opinion here.

From the early days of my shaving experience I noticed I fared much better when using soaps with tallow and/or lanolin. There was a brief period when I experimented with oils, face creams and liquid lanolin as a pre-shave treatment. That is all history now, as I found my way and no longer need "crutches", but need be, I would be happy to use any of them again.
Well... it starts with lubrication, as a pre-shave treatment and requirement for a great shave. Mine anyway, since your definition of a great shave might differ.
Please allow me to use two common lubricants as examples: oil and grease. Both slick, no doubt about it. But what does grease bring over an oil? Grease brings a higher level of viscosity and added affinity.

To me, and to my technique I use while shaving, these two parameters are added benefits of a good lather. Paramount for a great shave.
Tallow and lanolin. Both leave a film on skin. How do I know? Well... I see it. Glistening, after I rinse my face. This film is there, I can feel it, even during the shave, between strokes. The better it clings on skin, the more residual slickness, the less impact on skin after the first stroke. Allowing me a second, and sometimes a third, stroke in rapid succession over the same area.
I say rapid but that would need further explanation as speed of the advancing blade is also important.
I have no doubts that certain ingredients in soaps and creams leave a film that clings on the skin, some thicker than others. Tallow and lanolin, I bet on them.
That film will impact my shaves in a positive way, as it will add a bit of viscosity, affinity and distance.
I use a neutral blade exposure razor for my daily shaves. Razors with a positive exposure work well, but not as every day razors and not for extended periods of time. I seek no absolute BBS, but DFS, as some would say. I achieve partial BBS, every day, with no effort, in two passes with fewer strokes.
I am Caucasian, with a wiry/coarse stubble, and fairly sensitive skin.

That being said, here are some studies for those interested in reading.

The study I find impressive comes from the University of Southampton and can be found here https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/394280/1/Leyva-Mendivil_Thesis_full%20version.pdf

From the same year, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/ics.12330

Then, Google might be your friend, as one can find testimonies of soap makers that confirm the "cushion" (if that makes you happy) is not a myth but reality.

Choose your pill wisely.

Good luck.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have no scientific understanding of the properties of lather but I am personally team reality. Not every soap has what I would describe as cushion despite being very slick.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Cushion. In another thread it was asked: What is cushion? In my opinion, and since I consider this reality (mine anyway), it deserves a serious discussion.
So, what is cushion? Here it is:

Some use it for a clownery, some under their bum.

When shaving, I like to think of it as added layer of protection, during mechanical removal of facial hair.
Before I continue, I have to say that everything below is either my (uneducated) opinion or the result of paid labor that others, much smarter than myself, conducted as sponsored (P&G and others). I say uneducated as I only studied friction and tribology in high school and the first two years of university.
So, feel free to add your own opinion here.

From the early days of my shaving experience I noticed I fared much better when using soaps with tallow and/or lanolin. There was a brief period when I experimented with oils, face creams and liquid lanolin as a pre-shave treatment. That is all history now, as I found my way and no longer need "crutches", but need be, I would be happy to use any of them again.
Well... it starts with lubrication, as a pre-shave treatment and requirement for a great shave. Mine anyway, since your definition of a great shave might differ.
Please allow me to use two common lubricants as examples: oil and grease. Both slick, no doubt about it. But what does grease bring over an oil? Grease brings a higher level of viscosity and added affinity.

To me, and to my technique I use while shaving, these two parameters are added benefits of a good lather. Paramount for a great shave.
Tallow and lanolin. Both leave a film on skin. How do I know? Well... I see it. Glistening, after I rinse my face. This film is there, I can feel it, even during the shave, between strokes. The better it clings on skin, the more residual slickness, the less impact on skin after the first stroke. Allowing me a second, and sometimes a third, stroke in rapid succession over the same area.
I say rapid but that would need further explanation as speed of the advancing blade is also important.
I have no doubts that certain ingredients in soaps and creams leave a film that clings on the skin, some thicker than others. Tallow and lanolin, I bet on them.
That film will impact my shaves in a positive way, as it will add a bit of viscosity, affinity and distance.
I use a neutral blade exposure razor for my daily shaves. Razors with a positive exposure work well, but not as every day razors and not for extended periods of time. I seek no absolute BBS, but DFS, as some would say. I achieve partial BBS, every day, with no effort, in two passes with fewer strokes.
I am Caucasian, with a wiry/coarse stubble, and fairly sensitive skin.

That being said, here are some studies for those interested in reading.

The study I find impressive comes from the University of Southampton and can be found here https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/394280/1/Leyva-Mendivil_Thesis_full%20version.pdf

From the same year, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/ics.12330

Then, Google might be your friend, as one can find testimonies of soap makers that confirm the "cushion" (if that makes you happy) is not a myth but reality.

Choose your pill wisely.

Good luck.

proxy.php

So, to grossly oversimplify this, are you defining cushion as residual slickness, or have I entirely missed the point?

All valid points in my view. Since cataract surgery I can’t see up close without glasses. I’m generally in a hurry to get the shaving chore over with and don’t pay as close attention as I should. When I put my glasses on, slow down, and pay attention, man do I like the lather I used that day!

Cushion.....my pillow to sleep.
Cushion in shaving.....by definition should be something between the blade and skin. By definition, if there is something between the sharp edge of the blade and the skin, you could NOT shave skin close....
Now: glyde, you want something to facilitate the blades sliding on your skin......reduced resistance......

It does exist under a bed of pre shave oil IMO -I've counted the number of weepers with and without using it

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I think we have different schools of thought. Some believe nothing matters outside of slickness, and others believe in cushion as well.

Back 5 or 6 years I was using fine soaps in the $15-$20 range and getting a weeper about every 6 weeks. I had been shaving for a long time and had no good excuse for these lapses in technique aside from general ineptitude - but sometimes it is what it is. Then I purchased MdC and my weeper count immediately went down to about one every 3 months. Same razor, same blade, same occasionally inept human and a dramatic improvement in weeper avoidance. I attribute that to cushion. I really have no idea of the science, but that's my guess.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had been shaving for a long time and had no good excuse for these lapses in technique aside from general ineptitude - but sometimes it is what it is. Then I purchased MdC and my weeper count immediately went down to about one every 3 months. Same razor, same blade, same occasionally inept human and a dramatic improvement in weeper avoidance.

Same lather, different perspective...

Martin de Candre, which I have often mockingly called Martin de Cakeface, is one of the poorest soaps I have used. No matter how much I tried to water it down, it kept bulking up into this "cushion", and with very poor slickness too. Due to its density, and the razor indeed floating off the face of used with a featherlight touch, I had to add pressure to get (and keep) the blade at skin level to avoid horrible tugging. So at that point, I was using excess pressure, with a lather that wasn't slick.

A VERY bad combination.

Lather such as this, is what initiated the lampoonery I inflicted on the other thread, here...

As always, I appreciate that we have a wide range of differing perspectives. Each as valid as mine. Even the wrong ones :lol: While I will never personally be convinced that "cushion" (excess density as far as I'm concerned) is anything other than an obstacle to a fantastic shave, we all have to discover our own unique path to shaving bliss, and need to accept that our experiences and preferences may vary wildly from those around us 🍻

I think we have different schools of thought. Some believe nothing matters outside of slickness, and others believe in cushion as well.

Back 5 or 6 years I was using fine soaps in the $15-$20 range and getting a weeper about every 6 weeks. I had been shaving for a long time and had no good excuse for these lapses in technique aside from general ineptitude - but sometimes it is what it is. Then I purchased MdC and my weeper count immediately went down to about one every 3 months. Same razor, same blade, same occasionally inept human and a dramatic improvement in weeper avoidance. I attribute that to cushion. I really have no idea of the science, but that's my guess.
Same lather, different perspective...

Martin de Candre, which I have often mockingly called Martin de Cakeface, is one of the poorest soaps I have used. No matter how much I tried to water it down, it kept bulking up into this "cushion", and with very poor slickness too. Due to its density, and the razor indeed floating off the face of used with a featherlight touch, I had to add pressure to get (and keep) the blade at skin level to avoid horrible tugging. So at that point, I was using excess pressure, with a lather that wasn't slick.

A VERY bad combination.

Lather such as this, is what initiated the lampoonery I inflicted on the other thread, here...

As always, I appreciate that we have a wide range of differing perspectives. Each as valid as mine. Even the wrong ones :lol: While I will never personally be convinced that "cushion" (excess density as far as I'm concerned) is anything other than an obstacle to a fantastic shave, we all have to discover our own unique path to shaving bliss, and need to accept that our experiences and preferences may vary wildly from those around us 🍻

Great illustration of YMMV!! And you both make valid points!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Looking back, I had some lathering issues early on. I watched a YouTube video of a guy scooping out some soap and smearing it thin on the bottom of his CaYuen shaving bowl. He shaved both his head and face so he made a lot of lather. I thought the CaYuen bowl was more than I needed but I adopted his method of scooping and smearing.

After that , I didn’t seem to have any problems making lather. Like all of, I suspect, I had to find a consistency I liked but that didn’t take long. I noticed a lot of people here preferred a wetter consistency and I found that worked well for me. I’ve been using that method for a year and a half or so. The only change has been when I use a hard soap like Canada Shaving Soap. With those harder soaps. I scrape off some flakes into the bowl, spray in some water and fix it with with my fingers. I always shower before I shave so by the time I’m ready to make the lather, the soap has been soaking long enough so there are no lumps and the brush has an easy time getting the lather just right.

All that to say, there are lots of ways to lather and it shouldn’t be a struggle. Face lathering, bowl lathering……..the aren’t rocket science. <eg>

A good soap, croap, cream…. will provide glide to the razor. I don’t seem to care much what we call it. Glide, slickness, even cushion, though I do find that concept more difficult to grasp.

A few months ago, I did end up buying a CaYuen bowl and I have to say, for me, they are worth every cent. It’s a shame they are so expensive when shipped out of the States. After using the above soap prep, it only takes me about a minute to whip up excellent lather. Sometimes, I add more water in between passes. Simple.

If you watch a bunch of YT vids, you'll see there's a very wide variety of how thick or thin people like their lather. Putting aside "dud" products that are incapable of producing a stable lather (I covered this over a decade ago on here with pics BTW), IME every product has an optimal water/product ratio.

When I see very poor lather (usually too thin and airy, not on purpose) I wonder if the person is simply being stingy with soap or if they are in an environment with very hard water. The proliferation of soap and cream "samples" from vendors along with dubious statements like "this is good for 7-8 shaves!" have compounded the problem of increased complaints about known good products.

As far as soaps and creams that leave some kind of residual oil or film on the face, you don't need tallow or lanolin for that. I just shaved with a product that contains neither and it had the residual film.

Re: film, some smaller brands use to really load up butters, extra oils, and other moisturizers in their soaps. While that did help make certain aspects of the shave more comfortable, it could also lead to unstable lather (particularly in a scuttle or when I would rinse my face for the 2nd pass) or residue that was hard to wash off and would later clog my pores. Not a fan of that stuff at all. There is a balance in making any product.

I am also not a fan of commercial preshave products in general though there are some that work okay. I never found anything better than straight jojoba oil, just a few drops massaged into the face before shaving. It's fairly non-comedogenic as well. It can also be used to "supercharge" a facial moisturizer in the winter if you want.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Cushion properties of a soap or cream is the ability to suspend the longer hair follicles off the surface of the skin to be shaved + offering slickness for the razor blade to glide off the skin are my thoughts. Slickness trumps cushion all the time IMO. I think this subject has been discussed up before on other threads over the years.

I have not been at this very long, only about a year, but here are some of my observations.

If I want a close shave I need more slickness than cushion. If there is too much of a cushion I cannot get as close of a shave. The razor almost "skates" on top of the lather. However, cushion on the other hand can protect your skin a bit so there is a trade off here. Therefore, if I need a really close shave or if my razor is of the milder kind I will opt for a wetter, slicker lather.

The same goes for the opposite way. If I have a more aggressive razor and a fresh blade I tend to make the lather with a bit less water and have therefore a bit more cushion as protection.

Top Bottom