What's new

Greetings from East London, South Africa, and advice on EJ89 handle

Hello B&B!

I'm a new forum member from the small, lesser-known city of East London in the beautiful country of South Africa! I've been shaving with a DE safety razor since the beginning of the year! I finally got tired of cartridges getting clogged, and I wanted to switch to the more traditional, old school method of shaving. I've really enjoyed the switch. My skin feels a lot better - I used to get pimples and irritation after most of my shaves with my old cartridge razor.

Unfortunately, the options in South Africa are somewhat limited, and purchasing from overseas vendors carries high shipping costs! My journey to DE shaving started off with a cheap plastic handle razor, made by a company in SA better known for making safety matches rather than safety razors. My first shave was a bit of a blood bath - I nicked myself 6 times, but since then my technique improved and now I barely nick myself. After that I bought a kit from a local vendor called The Shaving Company (http://theshavingcompany.co.za/). I'm not too sure what brand of razor they sent me, but it's still the one I use today.

I am considering buying a new razor from Edwin Jagger, taking advantage of their free shipping promotion. However, I'm not sure if I should get the knurled or lined handle. Any advice from owners or people that have experience with this razor would be most welcome!

Ok, I think that's enough rambling for now. I'm looking forward to gaining insight and new knowledge on this forum!

Cheers for now
roldstar

Hello and welcome to B&B. The knurled handle should provide plenty of grip for you when your hand is wet and slippery. .

Good luck to you.:001_smile

I'm also a supporter of handle knurling. I had the lined handle and it was ok, but I always have preferred the secure grip of a well knurled handle!

Welcome to the club! I have the Edwin Jagger D89 with the lined handle. It is great razor and beautifull. The chrome finish is flawless. It shaves great. It feels great in the hand. Use a light touch and let the razor do the work and you will get a great shave.

Hi Roldstar, welcome to B&B
+1 on a knurled handle
I've only got one razor that isn't knurled, it's lathe turned, smooth polished chrome - although it's a work of art, I wouldn't buy anything else that isn't knurled, I have to dry my hands every 5 minutes when I use it

By knurled, do you mean the "Barley" type handle - like on the DE89BA11?

I own that razor. It looks nice, and maybe it's slightly grippier than the lined handle, but it's certainly not all that grippy. Probably a sufficiently minor difference that if you just liked the looks of the lined version more, I'd suggest you get that.

(If you're talking about some other handle - not the Barley one - then... never mind.)

Welcome! Totally up to you! EJ heads are terrific IME. Pick a handle that appeals to you.

I prefer heavier handles to the EJ stock options. You can always switch out the handle if the one you pick is not to your taste (tons of options)!

Thanks for all the welcomes and the advice. I went for the knurled handle in the end - I would prefer something that's easier to grip! Now all that's left is the real fun part - waiting for the package to arrive!!

Top Bottom