What's new

Who still likes the Trac II?

I used an Atra exclusively from about 1991 to maybe 2012 or so, when I "upgraded" to the Fusion. It gets the job done.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I dont prefer it. But when I have to carry on my luggage, I use a Trac II system. I have a Col Conk heavy chrome Trac II handle (which i think is made by Parker) and i use the P-II Gillette Trac II carts from India. They do okay. Better than other carts for me. But no where near as good of a shave as with DE, SE or Str8s.

I noticed that I have to still do 3 passes with a Trac II, similar to a mild DE.
It's blade geometry makes it a little less precise than a DE, but I like the fixed head and being able to control the angle somewhat.

I someitmes get the feeling that Gillette is making these blades not last for as many shaves as the old Carts. They probably want customers to stop using Trac IIs, Atras, or Sensors and just switch to the newer crap

I use a Trac-II for a quick beard line up on the neck and it works great! I have used it for a full face shave and there is nothing wrong with that either, I can definitely see why people still use this razor. Personally I do think the replacements are way too overpriced unless you get the cheap ones

I use the Trac II as my travel razor and occasionally for a daily shave. I've had good success using the Dollar General Korean (Dorco) twin blades in the razor. They are inexpensive (6 for $1.50) and I generally get at least 7 shaves from one cart.

I had used the Atra daily until I switched to DE about 10 years ago. Now, I only use it when travelling; the longest stretch being a month long road trip.
It does get the job done.

"...the more people I meet, the more I like my dog..."

Ah, the Trac II. It's what I shaved with, back when they were new. (When dinosaurs roamed the earth.) It beat the heck out of the Techmatic, a gruesomely bad razor.

Once they got to three-bladed razors, I got off the train. I like it here much better.

I still have a Trac II and I have re-tried it a couple times since going to DE. I never got a BBS with it in my 35+ years of shaving, and I would say that trying the Atra bought no improvement. Thereafter I never bought into Gillette's product introductions - not the Sensor, not the Mach3, and not the Fusion. Through 35+ years of the Trac II, I always assumed that some residual stubble was just part of shaving, though I knew nothing better.
You can find handles for the Trac II. Bump Fighter is a good one. The original Trac II handle sells from India under the 7 O'Clock P II brand.

A bit of a necropost here, but I haven't been around for a while. I still have and use a Trac II handle frequently. Pretty good shaver when paired with a brush and cream or soap, excellent with shave jelly.

How long was the adjustable out, Rob? I was using Trac II 80-81ish but don't remember that. But then, I don't remember a lot from my teens.
I did recently excavate my old TII handle so I bought some Personnas on eBay and give that rig a spin from time to time. It works great. I take along disposable M3 copies when traveling since my old handle has sentimental value.

I have an old TOBS "ivory" Trak II / GII handle which I rediscovered recently. Been using it with GII Plus carts still available in shops hereabouts. It shaves halfway between a DE and a modern cart - slightly more towards DE what with the fixed head and unsprung blades. Having fun with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Trac-II-Razo...&qid=1472447028&sr=8-1&keywords=trac+ii+razor

I got this cheap India handle to try them out. It looks like the original one in appearance. Does the weight of the handle make a difference?

What about Personna or Dorco carts? I'm not sure how they're different

I think the referenced "7 O'clock" razor works just fine. I read at this site that it is exactly like the original model on which it is based. I have no reason to doubt that. I use it for a final touch-up after using my double-edge, injector or single-edge. I guess that means I take it out of the rack more than any of my other razors.

I don't know about weight differences, but I have no complaints about the weight and grip for my minimal use.

I believe I've been using the 7 O'clock blades, as well. They don't have a lube strip, which I'd rather not have. I have not tried any others.

Last edited:
The PII/7 O Clock razor is exactly the same as the later (not the original) US Trac II handles.

Gillette, after they introduced the Atra, cheapened up the Trac II handle and it weighed about half as much as the original handle.

They've done this with all of their cartridge razors over the years. Pick up a new Mach III handle and weigh it against an original Mach III handle- the difference is night and day.
I've never used old mach 3 but I have an old fusion handle, it's heavier but not so much (only because it's bigger), and mach handle that I have is metal, but senstive version is plastic and light.

Is there a general consensus on which currently available refills are the best? And where to find them?

Is there a general consensus on which currently available refills are the best? And where to find them?

I got mine (with a razor) for about $13 on eBay. I see just the "Gillette 7 O'clock PII Trac II Cartridges" (sans Lube Strip) in a five-pack on eBay for about $5.00+ free shipping. Those have worked well for me, but I have nothing to compare them with.

Thanks, I will try to get some 7 O'clocks. I searched for Wilkinsons once and came up short.

All of the currently available Mach III handles are the same weight as the Sensitive. Even the 'Titanium' is plastic.
Then it depends on factory and continent, I compared both sensitive and regular handle and regular is much more heavier

Top Bottom