What's new

Is it me or blades?

I bought dorco st-301, I've never liked that blades but since it was over a year I decided to give it a try, again. I really like first shave, they give great first shave with minimun effort, but it seems I can get barely 2 shaves out of it. With first blade I got 3 shaves and 3rd shave was terrible, I did only one pass. Yesterday I put new blade, did 2 pass shave and today I went shaving and first pass was all right but blade started showing signs that second pass will be bad.
I had to take my mach 3 and finish the job, and since I've started (wet) shaving this thing never happened to me. My beard is not that though since I'm blond but it's coarse enough. :blink:
So after 3 pass shave blade is done :sneaky2:. This means that 5 blade pack of Gillette platinum or wilkinson sword lasts longer than 10 blade pack of dorco. Maybe it's just bad package?
Have this ever happened to you?

I bought dorco st-301, I've never liked that blades but since it was over a year I decided to give it a try, again. I really like first shave, they give great first shave with minimun effort, but it seems I can get barely 2 shaves out of it. With first blade I got 3 shaves and 3rd shave was terrible, I did only one pass. Yesterday I put new blade, did 2 pass shave and today I went shaving and first pass was all right but blade started showing signs that second pass will be bad.
I had to take my mach 3 and finish the job, and since I've started (wet) shaving this thing never happened to me. My beard is not that though since I'm blond but it's coarse enough. :blink:
So after 3 pass shave blade is done :sneaky2:. This means that 5 blade pack of Gillette platinum or wilkinson sword lasts longer than 10 blade pack of dorco. Maybe it's just bad package?
Have this ever happened to you?

It's just you!!! The REAL razor gods are mad at you for having a Mach 3!!!!! :w00t:

My first ever DE shave in November 2014 was with a Dorco, I didn't like it, mainly due to zero skill and non existent technique and tried a few sampler packs.

I recently tried shaving with one and got 2 average but adequate shaves, and then the 3rd shave felt like I was shaving with a blunt instrument.

I've tried a lot of the blades that I turned my nose up at when I started out DE shaving and got better results from them - except for Derby blades (allergic reaction) I'd rather grow stubble than use a Derby.

It's partly down to the blades, but mainly down to experience

My first ever DE shave in November 2014 was with a Dorco, I didn't like it, mainly due to zero skill and non existent technique and tried a few sampler packs.

I recently tried shaving with one and got 2 average but adequate shaves, and then the 3rd shave felt like I was shaving with a blunt instrument.

I've tried a lot of the blades that I turned my nose up at when I started out DE shaving and got better results from them - except for Derby blades (allergic reaction) I'd rather grow stubble than use a Derby.

It's partly down to the blades, but mainly down to experience
I think I'm fairly experienced shaver, mainly because i started wet shaving from the first day of shaving, and i started de shaving year and a half after that.
I really like wsc blades (some people don't like it) and gillette platinum, even bic is fine.
If you know that bic yellow disposables, well I think dorcos are like that, one shave and than in a bin.

Please excuse the thread digression, but...
if you find that you love your new Piccolo :001_wub:, do come and join us at the Piccolo Lovers' Club. :biggrin1:

I have to wait to come and to try it, but club goes in my bookmarks :thumbup1:
I know it's offtopic but people seem to hate that blade exposure is uneven in fatips. This bothers me in cheap gillette tech copies which are mass produced but I believe it would not in piccolo (if this is the case with it) because it's not mass produced product and it's made out of brass, so centering a blade once for 4-5 shaves would not be a problem.

My Piccolos (I own two) don't have alignment issues or uneven blade exposure.

As far as the Dorcos go, it may be the blades. Blades are a YMMV situation. What works well for one person doesn't for another. If the ST-301s don't work for you, don't worry about it too much. There are plenty of blades out there that will work well for you. I didn't really like the ST-301s either.

I only get 3 shaves out of a Dorco 301 as well, it's not you. I get 6-8 out of a Gillette Platinum, at least 5-6 out of a Gillette Yellow and Astra SP. I think you may need a blade upgrade.

If you're able to get small batch samplers try a bunch of other blades. High on my list are the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless and Silver Blue, but there are many others that are well regarded. I like the 7 o'clock so much it's all I've used lately.

I tried most of famous blades, and in 9 times out 10 I use with WSC or gillette platinum, this was just bad decision in supermarket.

the dorcos aren't bad. perhaps its a razor issue for you. I have found the dorcos do better in razors designed when carbon DE blades were the "standard" blade material.

I have store rebranded dorcos, not sure if they are 300 or st-301 but they do have nice shaves, give a decent length of life normally 3 good shaves and a slightly less fun 4th. but not all blades last long for me. the longest I had was a platinum plus I got 5 great shaves and 2 good ones from by swapping razors every third day.

try a dorco in a tech. I keep my 53 tech loaded with those rebranded store blades from Vietnam.

Those rebranded are st-301. On a wrapping says st-301. Bought in Mueller. On tech is slightly better. Maybe on a more aggresive razor they feel better.

Top Bottom