What's new

What did people really think of New Gillette Safety Razors (Back Then)

I had an interesting conversation today. Speaking to some other wet shavers I asked:

"Did people back in 1960 think the new Gillette adjustable or Toggle as we call it today, was just a gimmick to sell more razors? Kind of like how we think of Flexball?

Anyone have memories of this particular time? I would love to hear your thoughts,

My Dad had a TTO Gillette Razor that he used for years. He never bought another razor to shave with. Thats a silent Testimonial IMO.:thumbup:

Hahah. Well unfortunately I wasn't in this world till much later. But I'm excited to see the responses.

My impression is that people weren't as cynical back then to marketing so most probably thought it was a good thing. Just MHO.

I was 18 in 1968....
I wasn't thinking about razors...
I was thinking about girls, the draft and women.
2 out of 3 ain't bad. :lol:

Well when the Adjustible came along maybe some thought it was a gimmick BUT many didn't when there were many options to buy something else in the Gillette line - that's gotta be some indicator.

I was 18 in 1968....
I wasn't thinking about razors...
I was thinking about girls, the draft and women.
2 out of 3 ain't bad. :lol:

Still thinking about women. Every day. Multiple times.

"The day we stop lookin', Charlie, is the day we die."

-- Lt Col. Frank Slade
Scent of a Woman

Of course they were gadgets. Also good gift items and an inexpensive "luxury-type" item.

I had an interesting conversation today. Speaking to some other wet shavers I asked:

"Did people back in 1960 think the new Gillette adjustable or Toggle as we call it today, was just a gimmick to sell more razors? Kind of like how we think of Flexball?

Anyone have memories of this particular time? I would love to hear your thoughts,

We got my dad a gold plated Super 109 in 1969. I don't think he ever used it. It was one of those gimmicky gifts you get for someone you have no idea what they'd like. However, when my parents downsized that very razor came back into my hands. It is a great razor (used it this morning) and one of my all time favorites. Nice weight, long handle, adjustable aggressiveness (I'm usually a 5 to 7 shaver with it) and it's stunning to look at. So it was probably a gimmick then. It is, however, a gimmick I really like today.

Top Bottom