What's new

Looking for a New Safety Razor

Hi,
I have been using safety razors on and off for about 7 years. I am looking for a new one as I am about to go back on again. Price: Willing to go to $100 give or take. Thinking about an adjustable as this would allow me to adjust for the second or third pass as that seems to be when the sensitivity increases. Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

The adjustable Progress maybe worth a look. It’s a good shaver but a tad on the bulky side.

My best performer in the $100 or less category is the Lupo 95. Tough to beat this one at any price point. It hangs in with my more expensive options. The Rocca 94 is also nice. When I purchased mine it was less the $100 not sure what they are going for now….but a really good razor.

If you’re interested in classics, the Gillette Aristocrat is a great razor…..maybe a Fatboy if you want adjustable.

Appreciate the responses. I can go a bit over $100 for a solid razor. Not completely sold on the adjustable, only that it makes sense as you progress on the passes the adjustable option may be added benefit. Not sure as I have never had an adjustable.

Hi,
I have been using safety razors on and off for about 7 years. I am looking for a new one as I am about to go back on again. Price: Willing to go to $100 give or take. Thinking about an adjustable as this would allow me to adjust for the second or third pass as that seems to be when the sensitivity increases. Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Where are you located ? I'm asking because some razors are much more expensive in EU than US due to shipping etc.

For adjustables: the progress is a good one and could be had for $57 by finding a coupon or sale.

Other suggestions are good if you are unsure what level of efficiency / blade feel you want (GameChanger with 2 baseplates or Rockwell).

Otherwise if you want something that is very efficient but not too aggressive and you are in Europe, the Edwin Jagger 3on6 performs amazing for me. You can get it from connaughtshaving.

Where are you located ? I'm asking because some razors are much more expensive in EU than US due to shipping etc.

For adjustables: the progress is a good one and could be had for $57 by finding a coupon or sale.

Other suggestions are good if you are unsure what level of efficiency / blade feel you want (GameChanger with 2 baseplates or Rockwell).

Otherwise if you want something that is very efficient but not too aggressive and you are in Europe, the Edwin Jagger 3on6 performs amazing for me. You can get it from connaughtshaving.
I'm in the US

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Hi,
...$100 give or take.

Best bets in the sub-C-note category:

There's always the BST. Might be something that spins your toque.

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Monster" series slants. They're about $30 so you can buy three of them and still have enough dough in your pocket to buy a nice $10 Omega 10005 brush. :)

Parker SemiSlant. Not really all that slanted, but not all that expensive, either.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It's nice there are so many good options @ around $100. At that price point, the best I've used personally is the Green Cult Level 2, though there are 4 base plates available for that one.

Significantly under $100 would be the PAA offerings @Old Hippie mentioned. I have two out of three of the Monster Series but have only used their Filament. The Filament has a slightly different geometry and is said to be a tad more efficient. It compares favorably with razors much, Much more expensive that I own.

An adjustable is what I started with and to me it still makes a lot of sense, unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

Merkur Progress was my 1st and still one of my favorites. As noted, unchanged for 80 years and still a classic. High praise from Mantic59, who also likes the Parker Variant. Last time I checked his blog he stated that he prefers the Parker over the Progress.

The only potential knock on those two that I can think of is that they are made of Zamak. I've had my Progress for 17 years and it is unfazed but still, Zamak is a cheap metal and there have been reports of it failing. You could invest in a SS adjustable like the Rockwell 6S or the Rex Ambassador, but the Progress/Variant could be replaced several times for what one of those puppies costs.

There's also the Pearl Flexi OC, a solid brass adjustable and a VERY good razor.
yes-baby.gif

My first adjustable was a Merkur Progress and it’s a good razor. However I also have a Gillette fat boy and Gillette slim. The Gillettes blow the progress away though the progress is still in my rotation. You can find a very nice fat boy or slim for under $100.

Top Bottom