What's new

you could use a stainless wire,and a repair hardly ever looks orig.the joy of the repair makes it worthwhile.do you have a jewelers anvil?
I'm hoping to get one soon,and a doming block for rescaling straights

do you have a jewelers anvil?

I don't have anything for working on small stuff! I'm not set up for repairing razors at all!!! And I can't see anything smaller than a hamburger! I'm definitely not the right guy for the job.

But I haven't thrown a razor away yet. I was given a parts razor a while back and I didn't use it for parts, I fixed it instead! :thumbup1:

I find the Ever-Ready 1914 to be a smooth sophisticated shaver of medium aggression on my tough beard.

I only wish the "thin and short" handle was a little thicker and longer. (I'm assuming my handle is the factory handle. It's 2 1/2 by 3/8 inches.)

Last edited:
Those original handles are absolutely wonderful and gorgeous works of pure joy! I have one now that @Graydog sent to me, I love it!!! :thumbup:

I find the Ever-Ready 1914 to be a smooth sophisticated shaver of medium aggression on my tough beard.

I only wish the "thin and short" handle was a little thicker and longer. (I'm assuming my handle is the factory handle. It's 2 1/2 by 3/8 inches.)

I found the original handle a bit small. On one of mine I tapped it to a 10-32 thread so I could put a modern handle on it. The Merkur 1904 handle goes nicely with it.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I use a re-plated Gillette ball end handle and just love it, oh yeah I tapped it out to 10/32 also

Wow, no kidding. That may be completely obsolete (?)
I think you're right, I couldn't find a tap or die anywhere. I have accumulated taps and dies for 40+ years and I don't have any either. I'm gonna look through my self tapping screw accumulation and see what I can find there.

[MENTION=89729]TobyC[/MENTION], I'm still looking for my broken Shovelhead for your organ transplant, but I don't think the spring will work on your 1914. I looked at them side by side and the 1914 spring is completely different - it's much longer and has a different shape. It's still yours when I find it though.

@TobyC, I'm still looking for my broken Shovelhead for your organ transplant, but I don't think the spring will work on your 1914. I looked at them side by side and the 1914 spring is completely different - it's much longer and has a different shape. It's still yours when I find it though.

I will gladly accept your offer if you still have it, it's my best shot at the moment. :thumbup:

I will gladly accept your offer if you still have it, it's my best shot at the moment.
Woohoo, found it!

PM me your address and I'll send you the Shovelhead spring. I was going to send you the whole head, but that's too fat to go lettermail ($15 instead of $2 - I'm in Canada). I drilled out the rivets and it's ready to go.

proxy.php

Ouch!!! Somebody murdered that Shovelhead!!! :scared:
Another way of looking at it is this razor fulfilled its destiny. It was not abandoned in a drawer for 50+ years ... it looks like it was used so much that the wire guard wore away. A long full life, and now an organ donor.

Top Bottom