What's new

Straight pour of bourbon, neat, what is your go to pick

Unfortunately, EC "12" is no longer being produced. Heaven Hill announced the dropping of the 12 year age statement from EC several months ago, so it has joined the lengthening list of extinct age-stated bourbons. So unless you can find some old stock lurking back on some dusty shelf, you won't be able to taste that one. I haven't tried the current no-age-statement EC, but I'm sure the expert blenders at HH will do a creditable job of maintaining the basic style and flavor profile, but you can also bet that it will contain a good proportion of younger whiskey. It's what the current bourbon boom hath wrought: greatly increased demand has resulted inevitably in reduced stocks of older whiskey.

To your original question, being a value oriented drinker, I very much like Henry McKenna Single Barrel; 100 proof, 10 years old bottled in bond. A steal at around 30 bucks. Its close kin Evan Williams Single Barrel is also a terrific bourbon at about the same price point.

Thanks for thoughts. I was chatting with a fellow the other day at the local store, he swore that dollar for dollar, the Evan Williams Single Barrel was the best bourbon available. He was an Old Fashioned guy, though.

I saw that Eagle Rare 10 moved it's age statement off the front of the bottle, too.

+1 for EW BiB. I've only recently gotten into bourbons and have found that I like the sweeter bourbons. Elijah Craig NAS is good, but you can get a handle of EWBiB for less. They're the same mash and I'm really cheap, so I'll mix the 2 to get more drink with the aged flavor.

Wild Turkey 101 is really good too, but a spicy and not sweet bourbon.

Where does everyone find Blantons for $45?? I live in Jacksonville, FL and it's 55-60 around here.

And I've been searching for EW single barrel, but can't find it. I'd it seasonally available?

I don't know about Evan Williams Single Barrels production/availability schedule, but I did find a shelf-full of them the other day @ $26 per.

+1 for EW BiB. I've only recently gotten into bourbons and have found that I like the sweeter bourbons. Elijah Craig NAS is good, but you can get a handle of EWBiB for less. They're the same mash and I'm really cheap, so I'll mix the 2 to get more drink with the aged flavor.

Wild Turkey 101 is really good too, but a spicy and not sweet bourbon.

Where does everyone find Blantons for $45?? I live in Jacksonville, FL and it's 55-60 around here.

And I've been searching for EW single barrel, but can't find it. I'd it seasonally available?

If you like the sweeter then try Rebel Yell - no joke still under $15 and pretty good.

I agree the Buffalo Trace line is best for your dollar - but can become scarce like EtL
I prefer more of a rye profile Woodford or Bulleit Rye

yeah the age statement will go soon on ER as well I feel - be prepared to see both EC 12 yr (and if ER loses the 10yr) at twice the price it was before all in the marketing and supply and demand - to me that is what happened to Pappy

If you like the sweeter then try Rebel Yell - no joke still under $15 and pretty good.

I agree the Buffalo Trace line is best for your dollar - but can become scarce like EtL
I prefer more of a rye profile Woodford or Bulleit Rye
I had a bottle of Weller (not 12 year) and it was smooth, but I like whiskey because of the multiple flavor profile. It just tasted like one flavor. My family mostly drinks rum (which is why I like sweet), but rum is only sweet, no barrel notes.

Is the rebel yell similar? I guess for that cheap I just have to find out for myself.

I had a bottle of Weller (not 12 year) and it was smooth, but I like whiskey because of the multiple flavor profile. It just tasted like one flavor. My family mostly drinks rum (which is why I like sweet), but rum is only sweet, no barrel notes.

Is the rebel yell similar? I guess for that cheap I just have to find out for myself.
I actually Prefer the Special Reserve over the Antique (have not had or seen the 12 EVER - thanks BT

rebel yell is good - probably does not have near the dynamics of some but to me the sweeter they get the less complex they can become (in general obviously)

blanton , weller antique, marker's mark 46 and pappy 10 (107) before it was so damm hard to find, pre 1990. bonus; (eagle rare 101)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
After drinking Elijah Craig 12 y.o. while the local supply lasted (now gone), I finally had a bottle of the no age statement E.C. Not sure that I could pass a blind taste test between the two. Big fan of Four Roses small batch, Woodford Reserve Double Oak, Blanton's is good but hard to find and I find it overpriced.

^^^^ Love the Bowman, it is actually Buffalo Trace that is then age 3 additional years in VA. Very good

I just opened my Stagg JR....heavenly!

Great ideas, thanks for all of the suggestions. Blanton's was the most recommended/mentioned. I'm quite sure all of these are fine bourbons.

Blanton's13
Woodford Reserve5
Angel's Envy3
Buffalo Trace3
Bulleit3
Elijah Craig3
Four Rose Small Batch3
Makers Mark3
Eagle Rare2
Evan Willams White Label2
Evan Williams Single Barrel2
Four Roses Single Barrel2
Old Forester2
Wild Turkey 1012
Wild Turkey Rare Breed2
Basil Hayden1
Bookers1
Bowman Single Barrel1
Bulleit Rye1
EH Taylor Small Batch1
Elmer T Lee1
Evan Williams1
Four Roses (any)1
Jeffersons Reserve1
Jim Beam1
Knob Creek1
Makers 461
McKenna Single Barrel1
Noahs Mill1
Old Grand Dad1
Old Rip1
Pappy1
Pepper 17761
Rebel Yell1
Stagg Jr1
Tin Cup1
Weller 121
Weller Antique1
Wild Turkey 171
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit1

^^^^ Love the Bowman, it is actually Buffalo Trace that is then age 3 additional years in VA. Very good

I just opened my Stagg JR....heavenly!
Wondered about Bowman. Haven't seen it before. Haven't had anything I didn't like from BT. I like Stagg Jr, too. It's a hot one!

Wondered about Bowman. Haven't seen it before. Haven't had anything I didn't like from BT. I like Stagg Jr, too. It's a hot one!

I actually like it better then the BT but even in VA it is hard to find now

Stagg Jr is great but again hard to find and I actually like Bookers better which is in ever shelf so I will not bend over backwards for the Stagg Jr anymore

Top Bottom