What's new

Straight pour of bourbon, neat, what is your go to pick

Do you like Maker's Mark. I think it's great myself! I drink more Scotch than anything. I'm big in Auchentoshan 3 Wood if you're looking for a Scotch.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed
I've always loved the Rare Breed look...throwback, cool. I have yet to pick up a bottle. It's around $50 in my neighbor.

proxy.php

Woodford, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare

and for a shocker - Even Williams White label - it is BIB so 100 proof and about $14

(although I add a bit of water to all my whiskey after the first little bit)

I cannot find any Pappy so..... Weller 12, Elmer T. Lee, and Blanton's. Fortunately I have all of these on my whiskey shelf.

I cannot find any Pappy so..... Weller 12, Elmer T. Lee, and Blanton's. Fortunately I have all of these on my whiskey shelf.
Unfortunately, Weller, Elmer T Lee and Blanton's are no where to be found around here.

I've been reading some nice reviews of Elijah Craig 12 Year Old, too.

Unfortunately, EC "12" is no longer being produced. Heaven Hill announced the dropping of the 12 year age statement from EC several months ago, so it has joined the lengthening list of extinct age-stated bourbons. So unless you can find some old stock lurking back on some dusty shelf, you won't be able to taste that one. I haven't tried the current no-age-statement EC, but I'm sure the expert blenders at HH will do a creditable job of maintaining the basic style and flavor profile, but you can also bet that it will contain a good proportion of younger whiskey. It's what the current bourbon boom hath wrought: greatly increased demand has resulted inevitably in reduced stocks of older whiskey.

To your original question, being a value oriented drinker, I very much like Henry McKenna Single Barrel; 100 proof, 10 years old bottled in bond. A steal at around 30 bucks. Its close kin Evan Williams Single Barrel is also a terrific bourbon at about the same price point.

Last edited:
Woodford, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare

and for a shocker - Even Williams White label - it is BIB so 100 proof and about $14

(although I add a bit of water to all my whiskey after the first little bit)
+1 for EW BiB. I've only recently gotten into bourbons and have found that I like the sweeter bourbons. Elijah Craig NAS is good, but you can get a handle of EWBiB for less. They're the same mash and I'm really cheap, so I'll mix the 2 to get more drink with the aged flavor.

Wild Turkey 101 is really good too, but a spicy and not sweet bourbon.

Where does everyone find Blantons for $45?? I live in Jacksonville, FL and it's 55-60 around here.

And I've been searching for EW single barrel, but can't find it. I'd it seasonally available?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Absolute best bang for your buck under $45 is Buffalo Trace. Way under. I prefer Blantons, Angel's Envy, Woodford Reserve and a number of others, but Buffalo Trace has nothing to apologize for.

Absolute best bang for your buck under $45 is Buffalo Trace. Way under. I prefer Blantons, Angel's Envy, Woodford Reserve and a number of others, but Buffalo Trace has nothing to apologize for.
I found Buffalo Trace at $22, a real steal. The only downside, it's an online deal, so there's shipping. Locally, Buffalo Trace goes for $32.

Top Bottom