What's new

does anyone have this problem

The problem I have is what appears to be razor bumps that do not appear to be ingrown hairs, I say this is because the hair grows right out of the bump, and sometimes I will not shave for 10 days and the hair grows pretty fullI am really interested in everyones input and advice on what is best to do or use for this annoying issue thanks everyone

Last edited:
The problem I have is what appears to berazor bumps that do not appear to be ingrownhairs, I say this is because the hair growsright out of the bump, and sometimes I will notshave for 10 days and the hair grows pretty fullI am really interested in everyones input and adviceon what is best to do or use for this annoying issuethanks everyone

Do the bumps go away after you don't shave for sometime ?
If you can tell us your shave routine, how you prep for your shave. What products you use razor, cream, soap, aftershave if any.
Great bunch of people here at B&B with tons of experience.

Yeah, per above, what's your routine and technique?

It could be a host of things - from an allergic reaction to the soap to your shaving technique.

No the don't go away even after not shaving
for ten or eleven days and they concentrated
on the left and right sides just above the chin.
I shave about once a week on average , and
I keep a strict and consistent routine the only
variables are the blades I love blades and using
different ones but lately only astra sp and
nacet stainless,
I start with hot towels then I rubb some baby oil
on the hair and in to my skin, then I lather with
VAN DER HAGEN SENTED SHAVE SOAP,
The I load a blade in Parker 98R and do one
pass WTG and one XTG and maybe some
touch up ATG

Hmmm, have you tried it without the baby oil? Maybe that's being absorbed into your skin. My skin is on the oily side, so I wash my face with soap, rinse, then shave.

No the don't go away even after not shaving
for ten or eleven days and they concentrated
on the left and right sides just above the chin.
I shave about once a week on average , and
I keep a strict and consistent routine the only
variables are the blades I love blades and using
different ones but lately only astra sp and
nacet stainless,
I start with hot towels then I rubb some baby oil
on the hair and in to my skin, then I lather with
VAN DER HAGEN SENTED SHAVE SOAP,
The I load a blade in Parker 98R and do one
pass WTG and one XTG and maybe some
touch up ATG

For starters I would change the routine to see if you get different results.
As Kluber stated it could be a allergic reaction.

1. Skip the hot towels shave as soon as you get of the shower. Change the soap you shower with.
The face can be a very sensitive area once you start putting metal on it.
2. Don't use baby oil at all.
3. Use a different brand of shave soap or cream.
4. Try a little witch hazel after the shave.
5. Use a good after shave balm.
Astra's are pretty good blades they should be fine.
Start with some simple routine / product changes see if you get different results.
Good luck keep us posted.

Ok
I'll start changing things up.
thanks everyone and if something comes to
mind let me know.

When I get stuff like that, it means I didn't properly follow the grain on a specific patch of skin - for me it's usually middle/right about an inch before my lower lip.

I believe Baby oil may be the issue, any additional oils cause me issues, it may be the problem in your case as well. Leave it off for a week or so and see if the bumps stop happening.

I believe Baby oil may be the issue, any additional oils cause me issues, it may be the problem in your case as well. Leave it off for a week or so and see if the bumps stop happening.

+1
The bumps sound more like zits that are caused by blocked hair follicles

I agree, it could be folliculitis. I battled it on my scalp for a while. Start by changing up some variables (one at a time). In my experience, it takes 10-14 days of commitment to a change in order to decide if it helped or not. If they're still there in a month or so, or they seem to be getting worse, then you should see a derm for recommendations. Here are some things that helped with my scalp.

-Skip the oil (of any kind). That's the first thing my derm told me.
-Make sure you are washing your face GENTLY, not scrubbing.
-Try cold (or at least cool) water instead of hot.
-Try showering AFTER you shave.
-Tend Skin. Stuff is awesome. If you decide it helps, you can make your own version for much cheaper.
-Add in moisturizer 1-2 times per day. I typically apply Nivea Creme after my shave/shower, and then at night after washing.

I'm getting a lot of really good advise , suggestions
And insights here, things that I just didn't think
much about , stuff that seemed small and
insignificant. After a much closer look these bumps
Don't all appear to be the same , some look like
zits with a hair growing out of it and some have
hairs growing completely out , with the bump at
The base of the strand..And the hair is growing
in every direction you could imagine... so
my shaving , WTG , XTG, is only partially successful
So I'm going to start trying the suggestions I'm
getting from this wonderful community, in a
systematic one by one approach...
thanks everyone
all is well appreciated

Since I've never used witch hazel before
I have a questions , what is wet shavers
General reason for using it and is it used
After shaving , before shaving or also
between shaves , or on a daily bases as
a skin treatment and replenishment.

Its has astringent and anti-inflammatory properties. Moisturizes the skin, naturally cleans the skin.
I have read and copied this from a skin care web site:
anti-inflammatory properties of witch hazel stop itchy bumps from forming up around your irritated hair follicles. Apply before or after shaving; it should certainly have an impact on your itchy red skin (and that includes ladies, too).

If you google the benefits from witch hazel you'll find a lot of information.

Now I don't think it's some magical cure but I use it every day now. It feels great after a shave and it seems I get less irritation now.
I use Thayer Cucumber Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera Formula lots of brands out there.
Shaving is a personalized endeavor try different things use what gives you the best results.

Good luck and keep us informed I hope you get some relief.

How old are you? When I was in high-school and even a little after, I would get acne on either side of my chin running from just below the corners of my lip down the side of the chin. As suggested, skip the baby oil - you may not be getting it all washed off after shaving and it is clogging your pores. Also as suggested, try shaving first and then showering, making sure you completely wash off all the residue from the shave. Witch Hazel works great for problem skin so you may want to try that also. Good luck and hope you get this taken care of. Hmmmm - just curious - do you face lather or use a bowl to whip up your lather? What kind of brush are you using? I had to quit using a badger brush because my face for some reason didn't like them and would cause irritation (odd I know -huh!!!!).
Have you tried any other type of shaving soaps/creams besides the VanDerHagen? There could even be something in there causing some irritation. My best guess though is that the baby oil is causing the problem. Have you mapped your chin area? What you think is a WTG could be in fact an AGT if your chin hair runs that way.

I'm in my late 50's and even when I was
a youngster I didn't have any skin problems
so I'm getting rid of the baby oil first and
then change things one by one to see
if I can get to the bottom of this without
seeing a dermatologist.
To answer the question I make my lather
in a mug with an Omega PRO#49 Boars
brush
Thanks Everyone for your kind words
and Advise

Top Bottom