What's new

Blackland Blackbird, Merkur 34c .. what next?

Dear Badger and Blade,

As the title states, these are my two razors. I have a full on beard, but I shave my neck and (try) to keep my beard lined up. Issue being, both razors leave my neck with some nice razor burn, particularly on the right side. I think the Blackland is a bigger culprit if I’m being honest. (The hair on my neck grows sideways if that’s pertinent.)

I’m aware it may be technique, but right now, I’d rather throw money at the problem.

So, what would y’all recommend?

Thanks for your time.

Sounds like it could a few problems. Irritation means either to much pressure, going over an area too many times, blackland could have too blade feel / exposure for you. You can buy technique. So will have to find a process and a tool to help eliminate the burn.
Also I have not clue what you process is pre shave, shave and post.
The 34C should not be giving you that burn.
My neck growth is extremely wacky. Dense thick stubble. I have a face mapping to reference and on both sides, I have patches that grow in different directions. So I do one on the neck with the grain. Next on the neck, I do an angled short light cross hatch pattern. This has helped me. Or just try focusing on going with the grain, following the grain pattern on your neck.......lightly.
Fresh good blade...light pressure, let the razor glide over the skin and do its work.
Do not shave or buff on a dry face....
Make sure the face stays hydrated. Execute a very good post shave process.

BFX

Both Henson and Overlander are good options if you want a mild, yet somewhat efficient shave without getting lots of irritation in the proces. I've used both, but kept only the Overlander. Will they work for you? I really don't know, so it's up to you. I find the Blackbird to be the best autopilot razor in my collection. It simply does exactly what I want and I can use it pretty much any way I want without absolutely any issues whatsoever.

Sounds like it could a few problems. Irritation means either to much pressure, going over an area too many times, blackland could have too blade feel / exposure for you. You can buy technique. So will have to find a process and a tool to help eliminate the burn.
Also I have not clue what you process is pre shave, shave and post.
The 34C should not be giving you that burn.
My neck growth is extremely wacky. Dense thick stubble. I have a face mapping to reference and on both sides, I have patches that grow in different directions. So I do one on the neck with the grain. Next on the neck, I do an angled short light cross hatch pattern. This has helped me. Or just try focusing on going with the grain, following the grain pattern on your neck.......lightly.
Fresh good blade...light pressure, let the razor glide over the skin and do its work.
Do not shave or buff on a dry face....
Make sure the face stays hydrated. Execute a very good post shave process.

B

If I don’t have time, I shave in the shower. If I’m taking my time, it’s a truefitt and hill pre shave, application of soap (usually the West Indian lime, proraso, or wool fat shave soap), wash that off, then another application. Shave with the grain, and if my skin can tolerate it, I’ll go north to south. Then after shave of truefitt lavender, then trumpet skin food

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Throw money at software, not hardware. Get some slicker soap or try something like Cremo or other slick brushless. Barbasol 1919 is excellent and I have recently read a lot of good about the Jack Black beard lube. As you are only shaving a tiny portion of your face, busting out a bowl, soap and brush seems silly to me. I have in the past used both of those razors without issue on my whole face. The

The blades you are using a definitely important. Changing that can fix the problem.
If you want to try a new razor, I recommend the Lupo line from Razorock. The Lupo 72 and 95 are excellent, easy to use and not overly aggressive. I didn't love the Lupo aluminum but probably because I like the heft of SS

The Blackbird tore up my neck the first couple of times I used it, until I found the best angle (for me, very shallow-riding the top cap lightly). I never had any issues with the 34C. But as others have mentioned, the Henson and Overlander work extremely well on my lower neck-the most sensitive area for me. Especially the Henson-it has never caused any irritation whatsoever. And the Overlander is amazing against the grain in my experience.

Throw money at software, not hardware. Get some slicker soap or try something like Cremo or other slick brushless. Barbasol 1919 is excellent and I have recently read a lot of good about the Jack Black beard lube. As you are only shaving a tiny portion of your face, busting out a bowl, soap and brush seems silly to me. I have in the past used both of those razors without issue on my whole face. The
I concur. And I would like to know what blades he's using as well.

I would experiment with the Merkur 34C using different blades and creams, and as previously mentioned lighter pressure. I found the 34C to be extremely forgiving and comfortable to use. The fact that the burn is worse on one side of the neck suggests to me it is a technique issue since most of us have a dominant hand side.

And if you are game to try a new soap, give Jack Black Beard Lube a go.

You already have one of the best razors ever made….Blackbird. Just work on using it with a light touch. It has a blade forward (positive blade exposure) design and can irritate if not careful as you’ve discovered. I suggest keep using it until your skin gets used to it and you’ve perfected your technique. Maybe try a few different blades.

Sometimes cleaning your face thoroughly before you shave helps. CeraVe SA Face Wash; this one is for bumpy skin. They have cleansers for oily and dry skin.
1698107941348.png

Attachments

• 1698107926677.png
    1698107926677.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 3
I would try shaving one pass with the grain and then touchups. Also switching to a blade that is smoother like nacet or silver blues. You might try spending more time prepping your face by applying a pre shave oil.

Dear Badger and Blade,

As the title states, these are my two razors. I have a full on beard, but I shave my neck and (try) to keep my beard lined up. Issue being, both razors leave my neck with some nice razor burn, particularly on the right side. I think the Blackland is a bigger culprit if I’m being honest. (The hair on my neck grows sideways if that’s pertinent.)

I’m aware it may be technique, but right now, I’d rather throw money at the problem.

So, what would y’all recommend?

Thanks for your time.
The direction your hair grows is very pertinent!! Mine grows from my left ear across to my right ear and it took quite a while and many razors to figure this out and wasn't until I used a Timeless Ti95DC that I truly accomplished a true BBS shave on my neck and moving on to a Ti Blackbird the shaves have been even better but it has taken a relatively light touch, learning how to shave with my left hand, and most importantly shaving from right to left, ATG,. The 1st pass is XTG N-S and 2nd pass is XTG S-N and last pass ATG R-L.

What blade are you using in your Blackbird and is the Blackbird SS or Titanium? I have found the Perma-Sharp to be one of the better blades in the TiBB but also get really smooth shaves with Shark SS, Silver Star, and Feather blades. What blade are you using in your Blackbird and is the Blackbird SS or Titanium? I'm thinking you just need to work on your technique some more and the Blackbird will be your best option in the long run and will save you a bunch of money and heartache...

Top Bottom