What's new

Tallow soaps

Greetings, after 40 years ive returned to wet shaving, thought id go back to my teen years and shave the way my old folks did, to my surprise i guess its a
"Hipster" thing according to my daughter, any who just love it! Shave soaps

Welcome to B&B. So many great soaps out there now: Cella,MWF, Haslinger, Tabac, and many, many more.

ARKO(tub or stick),Palmolive(stick), Speick(stick) and Wilkinson Sword(stick is tallow tub is non tallow) are excellent tallow based shaving soaps that are budget friendly as well.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. I'd also recommend Saponificio Varesino, Stirling, and Tiki Bar soaps.

Okay, so I am posting here so that I can follow this thread as well.

I have only been "wet shaving" with a DE for about 3 months. My biggest complaint is that I have no way of knowing what scents will smell like what. I have tried buying "samples" but then they are too small of containers to actually get a brush on and use. I'm not rich so it is impossible for me to buy multiple shave soaps to find one that I like the smell of.

For Tallow soaps, my father-in-law RAVES about Mitchell's Wool Fat. I haven't tried it yet but I think that's the next that I am buying!

I have a tabac aftershave sample and a tabac deoderant sample..if that smells anything like those..its heavenly..like a musky insence say myrhh if i spelled it correctly er one day ill try the puck

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, there are many quality tallow soaps to consider. Some names that immediately come to my mind are: Cella, Valobra, Haslinger, Palmolive and Lea/Bea sticks. Welcome!

Eduardo,

Welcome aboard. I too am a recent convert. I would tell you there are many great tallow based soaps out there. Everyone here has there favorites and their tried and true; so you're going to get a lot of recommendations. However, none of them are wrong. No one I have found on the Forums would steer you wrong. My wet shaving has come a long way by following the recommendations of our fellow members. It comes down to what scent you like, $$$ you want to spend, and what performance you want out of a soap. Some soaps perform better with soft water(s). I am spoiled I have soft water. Some soaps historically do offer a better cushion (thickness) in lather, while others offer a better glide with their slickness. Some do both better. Some soaps have a residual affect of leaving your skin soft and hydrated better than others. The great thing is most of these soaps recommended above, if not all the soaps are Paraben free (preservatives).

Welcome aboard.

Joe

Welcome aboard. Most soaps I favor are 'tallow-based.' There are some good vegan soaps and some not so good 'tallow' soaps. Definitely worth trying some of the top performing 'tallow-based' soaps, such as Tabac, MWF or Haslinger's IMO! :thumbup:

I LOVE tallow-based hard puck soaps. Here's three recommendations. First try Tabac is a classic and performs excellent; some like the scent while others's don't but I wouldn't worry about the scent because if you're not using the Tabac aftershave as well the scent fades quickly and whatever aftershave you do use will easily overtake it. Second try Fine which is supposedly based on the Tabac formula and also is an excellent performer. Fine comes in a variety of awesome scents and could be considered Tabac but scented the way you like it. Last, you should save your pennies and try something world class. In the tallow world, the best soap in my opinion is Czech & Speake. It's around $35 for just the puck (put it in whatever dish you like) and is worth experiencing. Good luck!

Welcome to B&B. Lots of good tallow soaps out there, and many small vendors will sell samples so you can find your favorite flavors.

Tabac has been covered here so I'll skip that and give you my top three tallow-based soap recommendations.
1) Fine - based on the Tabac formula and a very nice soap that's easy to lather and very slick. Comes in a variety of nice scent options and you won't go wrong with the Platinum scent. Around $12 for a puck and you can put in whatever dish you want.
2) Barrister & Mann - fantastic product, easy to use, great performance. Seville is one of the all time great scents. Around $16 for a jar.
3) Czech & Speake - I'm not rich but at times save my pennies and reach for a premium product just to have perspective for what the high-end of the shaving world is like. Scent wise go with Oxford & Cambridge. $35 for a puck.

Good luck and welcome to B&B!

Top Bottom