What's new

Apple Watch

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Those of you that have one what do you think? I would really like to get one, but I do not like the looks of the sport and when you move into the higher end they get quite pricey. I need convincing that spending over $600.00 is not insane.

If [MENTION=22291]brianw[/MENTION] chimes in please just ignore him. :lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My friend has one. As far as I can tell, it lets you know that your phone is ringing.

I'm still not convinced I need one either.

I suppose you could make an argument. If you are in the market for one of the higher end fitness trackers, and you like the other features the Apple Watch brings, it becomes much easier.

Prices can range all the way up to over $1000, but you can pick up the Sport version with a basic band for $300.

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Image two iMacs, 2 iPhones, an iPad, and an AppleTV. Until the watch can operate as a phone by itself and not tethered, I won't even consider one.

I bought one for my wife, the $300 one. She really likes it. I think she can receive and send texts and maybe email.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Personally I see little use for any of the smart watches. Don't need it to tell me my phone is ringing, my phone is in my pocket and it tells me when it's ringing.
But that's just me. Certainly not for $600+

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've had one since they came out. Sport model, 38mm, black. The Sport model is the cheapest and there are a whole bunch of different bands for it, some by Apple some not. So the look can easily be changed.

I wear it every day while at work and when I come home from work I take it off and turn it off. This allows me 2 days of use before a charge. On day 2 when I charge it, it's in the 30% range. So I could probably get a 3rd day, but why risk it!
The only reason I take it off when I get home from work is because I don't typically go anywhere after work. I figure why wear it for the 4-5 hours before bed. On my days off I wear it all day.

There are many many uses for it but the most I use it for is to tell time. It's more convenient than taking my phone out of my pocket like I always did in the past. And I can customize the watch face! Sure, I know what you are thinking...if you only use it to tell time why not get a regular ole watch.....

Well....a regular ole watch doesn't alert me of text messages and allow me to read them on screen and reply - which is the 2nd most useful thing to me because I hate talking on the phone and texting is a big deal. I've also set up Apple Pay. Granted I don't use this feature much...but it is pretty cool paying for something with your watch! I use it somewhat often for alerts too. You press and hold the dial and use siri to set alerts... "remind me when I get home to blah blah blah" And at work "remind me to receive the truck at 2pm". I don't use this all the time....but it's there when I want to and very handy.

Another thing I've used it for is directions. Set a route on your phone and your watch chimes and pluses when a turn is coming up. And it shows on screen which way to go. Pretty cool!!

You can use it as a phone too, but your iPhone needs to be within bluetooth range. So when your phone rings the watch rings and you can answer it and talk on it via speakerphone. This is very handy when driving. Chilling on the back deck and need to call someone, do it from your watch! (provided your phone is somewhere close by).

I've used it to control iTunes as well. So my phone is paired with a bluetooth speaker and I want to change the song...I can do that with the watch.

It will show emails but let's be honest....reading an email on a 38mm screen is not enjoyable.

There are a ton more features and apps but these are what I have used most often.

So I may use it for telling time the most...but the other features are useful when I need to use them and for those reasons I'm very happy with the purchase.

There is a larger 42mm model for your big hairy hands

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm convinced I need one. I will probably get the next model in a larger screen.

Image two iMacs, 2 iPhones, an iPad, and an AppleTV. Until the watch can operate as a phone by itself and not tethered, I won't even consider one.

Ditto... when we attended the mandatory Apple Watch Training to sell them, a number of us in the room said the same thing.... it is interesting to note that the training presentation from Apple was not interactive and they didn't offer a Q&A period...

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Here's some pics what some feature look like

I told it "play George Strait radio" and it fired up the station on my phone.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467490992.442323.jpg

"Get me directions to Walmart"

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467491027.853459.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467491052.764512.jpg

Another cool thing I forgot...it can control your iPhone camera. What ever your phone sees you see on your watch. And you can take a photo with the watch by pressing the button. With a 3sec delay too. So you can set your phone up then gather everyone around in front. View what y'all look like in your watch and press 3sec for a photo with a 3sec delay.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467491062.518966.jpg

Here's what texts look like. Even shows photos in texts.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467491182.777194.jpg

Last edited:
Smart Watches suffer a bit from being a solution in search of a problem, and the Apple Watch in particular has some hardware issues that make it hard to recommend right now. It's very much a first gen product - wait until the fall when the new ones come out, they'll be considerably more useful.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You guys are so far behind the times. I have an Apple Ring. It beeps to tell me that my Apple Watch is ringing to tell me that I have an incoming call on my iPhone. The six millimeter screen is pretty sharp, and the included toothpick is handy for texting.

I'm also on the waiting list for the upcoming Apple Tie Pin.

Top Bottom