What's new

Adding handle to strop.

Hey folks. I apologize if this has already been gone over, but my Google skills are weak. I was considering a new strop, and two of the three models I am looking at do not have any type of handle(those models being the RupRazor "Filly", the WG standard and the Fromm/Illinois 127). The one I currently use(WD Poormans strop) doesn't have one either, and I'd like to learn how to make one. Would anyone be kind enough to list the items necessary, or post a link to a thread already covering the subject? Thanks.

A few Chicago screws, and leather for a handle or a large metal D ring should suffice. You may want to make a double or triple thickness for the handle. FWIW, many barber strops do not have a handle, I guess a lot of barbers back in the day preferred not to use handles and use a pinch grip (thumb and forefinger) to hold the strop taught. Here's a pic of a strop I made, using large metal D-rings and Chicago screws. Everything you need is available at Tandy or any leather work shop/website.
$Strop.jpg

Great, thank you. I've been using the pinch grip with my poorman strop. I'll also likely try putting a handle on it before I decide to try putting one on the nicer strop, just in case I prefer the pinch grip.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I got a cheap Chinese throw away paint brush with a wooden handle, removed the bristles, stained it and attached to my Poor Mans strop with Chicago screws.

Top Bottom