What's new

Not a DE shaver yet, but will be in a few days

Hey guys;

I just ordered a Merkur HD34C razor off Amazon today, and a box of 100 Personna double edge blades today, I'm gonna try my hand with the type of razor my grandfather used. Reason; I'm tired of the ever-advancing shaving technology of cartridge blades, and the ever increasing prices of cartridge blades. 5, 6, 7, 8 blades, do they give you much better than the other, besides razor burn and nicks under the chin? Sorry Gillette, but I'm done. I bought a box of 100 Personna double edge in the blue box for $11.53, which translates to .11 cents per blade. The Merkur was $34, together not much more than a single pack of Fusion pro glide, the Personna blades alone less than a 5 pack of Mach 3 cartridges. Gonna give DE shaving a shot, will let you all know. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian

Welcome to the club. Be careful or this hobby won't save money :001_smile

Also check out tryablade.com or the Great Blade Exchange here if you wish to try more blades!

De are superior in every way...sharper...cheaper..cleaner...etc just get a really nice soap and a razor you find is nice maybe a hood siver tip pure badger brush and you are laughing i shaved with fusions for ages and gillette shaving gel(mind u the gel isnt terrible)...now i think why the hell did i...be gentle on the shaving to let the razor do the work for you...oh also a nice aftershave :) if you are new..may i suggest either some derby extra blades some asco orange :) ascos for the dirt cheap smooth and derbys for the ultra smooth..:) people say they arent sharp but trust me they are hahah

Thanks fellas. I got my razor and blades from Amazon in the mail yesterday, but I can't try them until tomorrow, sadly. I'm a long haul trucker, and anything I order in the mail I have to wait til I get home. I also found some shave soap and a badger brush, and I've been watching lots of videos on how to wet shave, even a couple featuring the Merkur 34c razor I ordered, so I'll let you all know how it goes. Nothing against Gillette, or Dollar Shave Club, but after 33 years of cartridge shaving, I'm tired of paying for their overpriced mug scrapers.

Top Bottom