What's new

Gentlemen of taste

Good day

Allow me to introduce myself: I am Joe, hailing from Long Island, NY. After going through a mid-life lifestyle crisis of sorts (in my 50"s), I did some impulsive buying at CVS which resulted in a Vanderhagen shave set. I then purchased 100 Derby extras(8 bucks) and a Merkur 38c. I hated the blades, as I felt that they took 3 layers of my face with the shave. Next came the Badger brush from AOS ( Impulsive again, but at least I could feel the difference before buying) and some IP reds. I loved the IP blades, however as I worked through my weaknesses such as prep, lathering, pressure, etc., I found that the IP reds weren't exactly "Cutting it":lol:. I considered buying some Feathers, but decided to revisit the Derbys. What a difference! I wonder how many newbies such as myself can acessories, or, God forbid, hardware, before they refine their technique. I don't realistically think this realization will save me money in the long-run( looking at a Rockwell set), but at least it gives me the illusion of control for now.

Thank you for reviewing my post.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Good day

Allow me to introduce myself: I am Joe, hailing from Long Island, NY. After going through a mid-life lifestyle crisis of sorts (in my 50"s), I did some impulsive buying at CVS which resulted in a Vanderhagen shave set. I then purchased 100 Derby extras(8 bucks) and a Merkur 38c. I hated the blades, as I felt that they took 3 layers of my face with the shave. Next came the Badger brush from AOS ( Impulsive again, but at least I could feel the difference before buying) and some IP reds. I loved the IP blades, however as I worked through my weaknesses such as prep, lathering, pressure, etc., I found that the IP reds weren't exactly "Cutting it":lol:. I considered buying some Feathers, but decided to revisit the Derbys. What a difference! I wonder how many newbies such as myself can acessories, or, God forbid, hardware, before they refine their technique. I don't realistically think this realization will save me money in the long-run( looking at a Rockwell set), but at least it gives me the illusion of control for now.

Thank you for reviewing my post.

Joe
Is VDH the only soap in your collection? If not, I recommend purchasing a quality soap or cream (Razorock, Proraso). I find it makes all the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the club, Joe. Glad to have you aboard. I also recommend expanding your horizons with soaps/creams, as well as blades.

Thank you. I did experiment with WCS caffeinated products, due to their availability and the hardness of my water. They were enjoyable, but imho nothing to write home about. The after shave was just too thick. am currently considering Cella and the Porasso white and we'll go from there. I don't want to **** off my wife just yet, but she seems to be taking this hobby better than my obsession with the brown leaf.

Welcome Joe! I'm sure you'll find your "favorite" gear two or three times over before you're "done."

. . . and then you'll come looking at straights. lol

Hello and welcome, Joe. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

[MENTION=110906]joekoz[/MENTION] Welcome to Badger & Blade! Do make yourself at home here and venture on to some of the other forums on this site.

Welcome aboard! Looks like you are making good progress!

You have identified the key issue IMO: technique trumps most everything else in DE! Keep working and you will get better and better!

Welcome Joe, my advice is to try it all. Try anything that interests you. Thats part of the experience. The more products you have, the funner it is. Id get that rockwell and get a few soaps. Look through the soap forum to get an idea of whats out there. Then there is my favorite, the brush. Get yourself a good quality shave brush, say a shavemac 2-band silvertip. Your shaves will never be the same. From your friendly neighborhood enabler

Top Bottom