What's new

Dollar store double edged blades

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Being the frugal (okay, cheap) soul that I am, I bought some dollar store no name blades, 5 for a buck, and am amazed at how well they did the job. Close, smooth, sharp. I nicked myself under my nose, but it wasn't the blade. Completely user error..... or the caffeine! Anyway, anyone else get a good shave that cheap?

Yes... I bought a pack of the Gillette made Vietnam blades. They are very smooth & sharp & I got a very nice close shave. I really like them & Dollar General carries them as well. I think I got 6 shaves off one blade which is not bad.

I remember the dollar store back home used to sell the personna disposables, and the navy exchange, aafes, and the marine corps exchange sell rebranded personna blades, the cheap ones(the Israeli ones), like 1.50 a ten pack.

Last edited:
Last I knew they were dorcos if there from Korea or Vietnam I had got some long while back from the grocery store here I didn't care for them had tried one and threw rest away to dull for me.it wouldn't cut well for me

Being the frugal (okay, cheap) soul that I am, I bought some dollar store no name blades, 5 for a buck, and am amazed at how well they did the job. Close, smooth, sharp. I nicked myself under my nose, but it wasn't the blade. Completely user error..... or the caffeine! Anyway, anyone else get a good shave that cheap?
With all respect there's nothing frugal about buying blades in 5-packs ever. You paid almost twice as much as I did for Personna Blues ($11/100) on Amazon. I'm ordering on eBay some Voskhods with friends at $7/100. I can get Supermax Titanium in Cambodia where I am currently for $6/100. If you don't want that many of a single type trade with friends but or sell them. I also bought some red Personnas at a 99 cents store just to try them but that's a matter of convenience/impulse not frugality. I haven't tried the 99 cent store blades yet but at $.20/blade they better be good..

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes, you are right, not frugal. I should have mentioned I have been away from D E shaving for 35 or so years and have been trying out blades. Sorry. I'm also ADD,lol.

Agree. The blades can be good. Also, try the Vi-Jon-made house brand knock-off aftershave copies of Old Spice and Skin Bracer.

Yes, I've had some of that Family Dollar Spice sent up here to me along with some Barbasol Splashes and that stuff is terrific. Would be great if I could get around to some American Dollar stores once in awhile.

I remember the dollar store back home used to sell the personna disposables, and the navy exchange, aafes, and the marine corps exchange sell rebranded personna blades, the cheap ones(the Israeli ones), like 1.50 a ten pack.

Yep,
Those AAFES Exchange Select Israeli Personnas at 10 in a dispenser pack for $1.50 are great. Ideal for travel since they are safely in the dispenser and cheap enough to leave in a hotel room or a tent somewhere without regrets.

I always look for local,buys. No, they often are not the "best price" compared to online. But usually the prices are fair and the sales will show positives for the retailer, possibly resulting in more items we like.

But if nothing else, do what I do, make a small stash of these items and use them when you get to PIFing or to intro new wet/DE shavers. Ultimately a buck is fairly miniscule, but the introduction/enjoyment someone else may get out of it is well worth spending a couple extra bucks here and there, IMO.

At 20 cents per blade they are not frugal & I agree but, I keep 2 packs of em when I need a nice smooth nick free shave. I would never buy 50-100 of these at 20 cents a blade.

Yep,
Those AAFES Exchange Select Israeli Personnas at 10 in a dispenser pack for $1.50 are great. Ideal for travel since they are safely in the dispenser and cheap enough to leave in a hotel room or a tent somewhere without regrets.

I have several of the older AAFES packs laying around, and I'm keeping them NOS. Somewhere around 2 or 3 years ago, they changed from being Plat-Chrome coated to being Stainless Steel. But that same changed happened to B&M blades everywhere around the same time.

I think the manufacturers figured that they could skip these steps and save some production costs. And they figured that nobody would notice. Well, *I* noticed, and I greatly prefer coated blades. Luckily, the blades I like are readily available at lower cost from e-Vendors, so that's where I go now.

Top Bottom