What's new

What personal care hacks have you discovered?

In regards to the hydrogen peroxide, there is a slight funny taste, but you can really feel it fizzing and killing the germs.

When I use it I brush my teeth afterwards, which makes the taste go away.

After trial and error on a hundred different things for my puffy and dry eyes, what's working for me at the moment is a mixture of rose water, witch hazel and glycerin. Pretty much 50/50 on the witch hazel and rose water, then just a few drops worth of glycerin thrown in. I keep it in the fridge and take it out only at the very moment I'm going to use it. Probably works ten times better than anything I've bought for this purpose.

After trial and error on a hundred different things for my puffy and dry eyes, what's working for me at the moment is a mixture of rose water, witch hazel and glycerin. Pretty much 50/50 on the witch hazel and rose water, then just a few drops worth of glycerin thrown in. I keep it in the fridge and take it out only at the very moment I'm going to use it. Probably works ten times better than anything I've bought for this purpose.

+1 ... whenever I use WH as an aftershave, I apply it not just to my beard area but all over my face.
I place special emphasis on the bags under my eyes.

I'll have to try that refrigerator trick. I already keep a couple of my colognes in there, and during the dog-days of Summer, I will stash my mentholated ASL splashes in the fridge as well.

+1 ... whenever I use WH as an aftershave, I apply it not just to my beard area but all over my face.
I place special emphasis on the bags under my eyes.

I'll have to try that refrigerator trick. I already keep a couple of my colognes in there, and during the dog-days of Summer, I will stash my mentholated ASL splashes in the fridge as well.

I'm not the best with this stuff, but as far as I have been told, the fridge thing is good because the cold is a 'shock to the skin' of sorts to the room temperature skin. So apparently it's best to grab it almost the very second you need it. Like I said that's all I've heard and not a pro at this sort of stuff, but I do know it's working.

My dentist recommended I add a little baking soda to my water pick reservoir. Works great. I also mouth wash with it (level tea spoon per cup) every once and a while.

Ground black pepper will succeed in stopping even the worst nicks and cuts from bleeding even when alum or styptic fails, and believe it or not it's painless too - an old trick I learned from a chef
Aftershave ran through your hair will flatten any frizziness, a trick I learned by accident when I slapped some aftershave on my face, then absent mindedly ran my fingers through the hair at the sides of my head with an aftershave residue on them - when my hair dried, it was soft, smooth, shiny and felt "normal", and stayed in place

In the winter months I use Badger Balm on my hands so when I run my fingers through my damp hair it works the same way... smells better than Vaseline (contains olive oil and beeswax, wintergreen , birch etc)

Ha, my regimen is the reverse--I use Badger's Navigator Class pomade in my hair and then rub what's left all over my hands. Keeps them soft and moisturized!

For removing ingrained dirt/grease from hands post work i use washing up liquid (dish soap) with a teaspoon of sugar, work well into hands with no water then add water and finally rinse.

For removing ingrained dirt/grease from hands post work i use washing up liquid (dish soap) with a teaspoon of sugar, work well into hands with no water then add water and finally rinse.

Is the sugar added for grittiness? Would Kosher Salt do just as well?
Or is there some chemical property in the sugar that adds to the cleaning?

Is the sugar added for grittiness? Would Kosher Salt do just as well?
Or is there some chemical property in the sugar that adds to the cleaning?

You are correct its for the grit factor, not tried salt or sure if sugar brings something else to the party

Just found that applying some Vitalis before my Murray's pomade makes the Murray's application easier and controls flyaway hairs better.
Ben

My mother told me when she was growing up in the 1930s she used to brush her teeth with salt and baking soda. I still prefer toothpaste, but it does work in a pinch.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A regular old leather belt makes a great tooth protector. Just bite down on it hard when you are performing some difficult self surgery like appendix removal or closing up an ulcer.

$c640x360_32.jpg

Aloe Vera "Hair" Gel

So I discovered this by accident. I had a sunburn on the edges of my hairline, after I used sunscreen, but didn't blend it into my hair. I grabbed the aloe and decided to just run it through all of my hair. Turns out, it held my hair very well. Much stronger hold than my normal gel.

Then, the next day, I read the back of the bottle and it says it can be used as a hair styling gel! (It also says it can be used as a shaving gel)

proxy.php

I use that exact product during dry months to treat eczema. Actually, works well as an AS balm too!

1. Best unscented deodorant on this planet: a dime size amount of baking soda in the center of the palm, warm water to dissolve in puddle in palm, rub hands together and rub the liquid into arm pits.
2. Diluted apple cider vinegar (dilute to desired strength) as a conditioner once or twice a week: detangles curly/wavy hair, gets rid of dandruff, and makes hair shine.
3. Jojoba oil: wet face, put 2-3 drops in hand, use as a moisturizer for non shave days, preshave for shave days.

Top Bottom