What's new

What personal care hacks have you discovered?

For me personally, I discovered that Vaseline works even better at holding my difficult to tame hair than the best brands of pomade. Also, it doesn't make my hair stiff or crunchy.

In the winter months I use Badger Balm on my hands so when I run my fingers through my damp hair it works the same way... smells better than Vaseline😂 (contains olive oil and beeswax, wintergreen , birch etc)

Last edited:
Cremo shave cream doubles nicely as a pre-shave lotion.

A cardboard toilet paper core makes an impromptu travel case for a shave brush.

Aloe vera gel makes for a decent aftershave, but I discovered that long ago, Lava soap or any other similar pumice-based soap makes for a good, cheap full-body scrub, and works particularly well if your job involves sweating it out for any particular time of the day (screwed-up HVAC system at the DFAC, combine the southwest Oklahoma summer heat with being in the dishroom for two hours during the really hot hours of the day, and you sweat like a pig), no other discoveries to point out.

Last edited:
I use Noxzema Classic Clean as a pre-shave. Seems to work as good as the Proraso pre but at about 1/10 the price.

Aloe Vera "Hair" Gel

So I discovered this by accident. I had a sunburn on the edges of my hairline, after I used sunscreen, but didn't blend it into my hair. I grabbed the aloe and decided to just run it through all of my hair. Turns out, it held my hair very well. Much stronger hold than my normal gel.

Then, the next day, I read the back of the bottle and it says it can be used as a hair styling gel! (It also says it can be used as a shaving gel)

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Witch Hazel is good for brushing your teeth.

Works even better than regular contact lens solution, too.

Someone said you can marinate chicken wings in the stuff and they turn out great. I'm trying to find the recipe, but my eyes are tearing up so bad ...

AA

Hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash.

And, of course, Noxzema as a pre shave.
I am about 20% into my Invisalign treatment, and it's important that my teeth be very CLEAN. I swish hydrogen peroxide around my teeth and gums...it seems to heal any minor gum soreness I have, and (presumably) kills the vile wee beasties lurking thereabouts.
NOT a fan of the taste, though! :prrr:

Witch hazel is great stuff. Works good for cocktails when you run out of bitters. I polish my shoes with it. I clean my television with it. I drink it sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandfather used hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash. I can't imagine how it would taste. I don't plan on trying it anytime soon, either. Ye gods!

My grandfather used hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash. I can't imagine how it would taste. I don't plan on trying it anytime soon, either. Ye gods!

I've used it off and on too. It's fun the way it foams! And why should it have any taste? It's just water with another atom of oxygen.

Witch Hazel is good for brushing your teeth.

Just to be clear, Witch Hazel for dental care is best used as the final step, after I've removed food debris and plaque using regular toothpaste.

The best brand I've found is of course Thayers. With the aloe component, its good for gum care, and the Witch Hazel gets my teeth squeaky clean and my breath smelling fresh.

I have used generic WH by itself, but the best way to use it is a supplement to other dental care products, not as a stand-alone.

I will rephrase my inaccurate statement. Hydrogen peroxide does in fact have a metallic taste (as confirmed by various texts), but at the dilute 3% strength sold over the counter, this is much less noticeable (I never really picked up on it).

Top Bottom