What's new

Mild, Medium, Aggressive, or Efficient?

As someone with sensitive skin, I’ve always went toward mild razors to prevent irritation. They tend to work well for me but I have some spots that get irritated because I have to go at it from multiple angles to get the hair. I also think I have coarse hair which makes it a little more uncomfortable. I used my Fatboy on the fourth setting which is more than I usually do but it has taken out my most difficult spots with ease. I can feel the blade more but my skin seems to handle it well and not break out. So efficient may be better than mild. Aggressive tears me up.

With sensitive skin I'd recommend a blade that is sharp/ Closer to the top of the list. And with a mild razor it should cut down on the amount of times you need to go over an area. Remember that skin stretching is a big help when it comes to troubled areas but learn what way to pull the skin.
I'd recommend the Nacet blade. But I've been enjoying the Shark Platinum recently and find it a keen blade with an amount of comfort too.

Good luck.
A mild razor is a good thing when paired with the right blade.

FWIW, I can 'tame' an aggressive razor, such as my Merkur Vision, with angle/pressure.
OTH, it's hard to turn up a mild razor, ex Feather ASD2, absent shims or other mechanical means.

Takeaway...eh, it's only shaving!

vision asd2.jpg

With sensitive skin I'd recommend a blade that is sharp/ Closer to the top of the list.

Agree. If the blade isn't sharp enough you end up applying pressure to compensate, which can make a mess. Even at nearly 15 years of DE use, I will still instinctively bear down if I think a stroke isn't efficient enough and I don't consciously prevent myself. Sharp blades help to preven that scenario occurring in the first place.

Thank you. I think I have some Nacet blades, I'll try them.

Try some Feathers and Permasharps too. They are all very sharp, but I personally find Nacets either less smooth overall or more razor sensitive than the others (I haven't decided which yet). YMMV.

Euro is right about the newbie thinking he has sensitive skin. I bet most guys starting out thought this. A good lather makes a big difference and then its just time to learn to properly hold and use the razor. The weight of the razor is about all that is needed so go easy on your face.

Euro is right about the newbie thinking he has sensitive skin. I bet most guys starting out thought this. A good lather makes a big difference and then its just time to learn to properly hold and use the razor. The weight of the razor is about all that is needed so go easy on your face.
For my first shave I used the TOBS Jerymn Street Sensitive shaving soap. I thought that I made good lather but it was so bad, I realized this after watching geofatboy making lather. The choice of blade was poor too, I used the Derby blade which is a horrible blade. After I let my skin heal for a couple days I shaved again but this time I used an Astra SP blade and Proraso Green shaving soap. It made a huge difference!

I also used way too much pressure because I thought that is the way, I was wrong. No pressure at all is what works best, relaxing your wrist, arm and shoulders is also important.

It's been years of wet shaving with a lot of trial and error as well as YMMV but the thing that took me longest to get used to was light pressure. And your skin has to get used to razor shaving. I prefer a more rigid and sharp SE blade and since the last nine months or so have committed to only SE shaving. GEM PTFE, a good injector blade or an AC blade. One of the best and least expensive AC type razors I've used and loved is the RazoRock Hawk V3 with a KAI Guarded Blade. Once I made the move to a thick, sharp, well clamped blade, I never looked back. Just my two cents that won't even buy you a penny candy nowadays. LOL

Top Bottom