What's new

Lost my job today

I can relate; the last year my company has been going through a buyout and not many will survive the cut. So it's been on my mind.

Hang in there.

SemperFi,

Joe

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Well boys I am officially on paid administrative leave from my job. I made a comment was taken out of context

May as well say what it was, as it can't possibly be as bad as what I'm thinking.

Hoping for a good outcome.

Been laid off a few times... never feels good, but approach it as an opportunity to reassess what you want to do and what makes you happy. Spend a bit more time with your family, reconnect with friends, and when you are ready, make a plan on getting the next job.

Dust off the resume and update it. Lots of good resources on resume best practices. Search out a "Between Jobs Ministry" that will help you with resume design, interview best practices, and job search approaches. BJM is also a great start to networking that you should be ramping up. Plus, its a good thing to get cleaned up/dressed up every week.

You probably already have a Linked In profile (if not, create one, and if you ave one, update it). Learn to use job search engines like indeed, dice, monster, etc. Plan your day around your job search. Keeps you busy, focused, and increases your odds. Apply, apply, apply.

Prayers sent. I work in the oil business, refining. We haven't had the problems so far that upstream has had, knock on wood, but no one knows what the future holds. Looks like oil is easing up, so hopefully you'll have some opportunities coming up quickly.

Hey buddy don't look at this as one door closing but instead many more doors opening. I'm excited for you knowing that you will start a new chapter of your life. Make the best out of it and know you have friends here for motivation! WOOOHOOOO!!!!

When one door closes for whatever reason that only means that another will open. So start knocking. Keep you're chin up and keep thinking positive. I firmly believe that positive things happen to positive people...Good luck.

My prayers are going out to you and yours. I've been laid off too (for political reasons much like yourself). Hang in there, it will get better. Don't give up.

Seems to be the norm watching your back more than doing what you are actually paid to do. I've worked with folks that called me old fashioned because my concern was doing what I was paid to do versus sliding out of it.

I was in your position several times. Just remember that you owe them (esp if it's a large public company) nothing. Take a good hard look at the severance agreement and if necessary, have a lawyer look at it. What most people don't realize is that many times you can get more than they are offering by pushing back (without behaving like an idiot). The HR people make points for themselves by giving out as little as possible - they are very rarely on your side. You may be part of an "endangered specie" - age, veteran status, etc. They won't tell you and will push for you to sign a release. Do some homework and good luck.

I was in your position several times. Just remember that you owe them (esp if it's a large public company) nothing. Take a good hard look at the severance agreement and if necessary, have a lawyer look at it. What most people don't realize is that many times you can get more than they are offering by pushing back (without behaving like an idiot). The HR people make points for themselves by giving out as little as possible - they are very rarely on your side. You may be part of an "endangered specie" - age, veteran status, etc. They won't tell you and will push for you to sign a release. Do some homework and good luck.

+1

Robert, we're all pulling for you. Keep positive, stay focused and be open minded. Being let go, for a "comment out of context" means that you can find a better place to work. Best of Luck to you.

+10 HR works for HQ not YOU....

I have never left a job--voluntarily or involuntarily--without it ending up in a better opportunity. I pray it works out the same way for you.

Top Bottom