What's new

CA finish for wood Q's

I've never worked with CA as a finish before, but I have a project that I'd like to try it on...
Is there any preferred brand? My thought was to use the cheapest stuff I could get, but there again maybe not all CA is created equal.
Thin or gel? Would there be any advantage to using a gel CA to fill the grain of a grainy wood like walnut or oak?
How well does CA play with others? Say if I wanted to put CA over a coat tung oil would that be a no-no?
I'd be thankful of any advice.. =)

Don't apply over a fresh oil, let it cure quite a while first. I get best results from thin cheap CA. I put small plastic zip locks parts come in on my fingers to spread the CA. Spray can accelerators work better, less foaming, than the pump versions. Hold the can back a ways and just lightly mist the CA to set it. Lots and lots of thin coats. Advantage to CA is you can build a fairly thick finish in an afternoon, versus days. Not my favorite finish, but if I want a quick durable glossy finish it works OK.

FANTASTIC Finish IMO

I have tried the accelerators but have not had good luck.

I use the thin stuff, apply 3-4 layers and sand with 600 grit until all the spots are gone, apply another 3-4 and repeat, usually can stop applying here

I then sand to 2000 and buff.

Last edited by a moderator:
$image.jpg

My opinon as well

FANTASTIC Finish IMO

I have tried the accelerators but have not had good luck.

I use the thin stuff, apply 3-4 layers and sand with 600 grit until all the spots are gone, apply another 3-4 and repeat, usually can stop applying here

I then sand to 2000 and buff.

Thanks Doc! =)

I've used a good half dozen types of CA glues on more finishes than I can count. I do not believe all CA glue is equal for finishing by any means. The best I have found is Insta Bond Pen Finish. It's triple distilled and while I know what that means, I have no idea what it does for the glue, but it goes on smoother than any other I've tried. I apply 12 thin coats with a paper towel (use shop towels blue paper towels, some brands will actually set the glue off and it will heat up and smoke right on the paper towel) and I never get ridges. I don't even need sandpaper, I go straight to wetsanding with micromesh then polish with Novus #2 fine scratch remover and get a beautiful high gloss finish every time. I've also never had a problem applying it over uncured Danish oil, I just spin the lathe while I vigorously wipe any unabsorbed oil off with a paper towel. Also the pump spray accelerators suck, but I've never had a problem with aerosol. Just a quick burst while it's spinning on the lathe & straight to the next coat of CA. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've never used kickers or accelerators just patience and a hair drier

The fumes can get noxious so use in a well ventilated area... I also use a small umbrella to keep dust from getting in the drying layers

Be very good about sanding out every shiny spot no matter how small in the early stages because they'll be exaggerated later

Lastly I wouldn't do more than three layers of thin ca before doing a round of sanding with wet 600 grit... And after wet sanding be sure to let it dry completely as when a drop of water touches the ca it'll cloud slightly

I have used most every brand made. But after talking to guys who make wood jewelry ( rings etc.) and considering what their products are exposed to from washing hands , sweat, getting hit and scraped I've switched to their brand exclusively now . Titebond. Stuff is really nice . Many coats with the thin stuff I had used is a PITA.

And rather than go through piles of the nitrile gloves I just cut the fingers off and use one on my index finger ( like a condom ) to spread the stuff around. The way I mount them they never have to be handled

Attachments

• $image.jpeg
    $image.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Top Bottom