What's new

DE vs SE, who shave better?

I Have Many Times Used Both At The Same Shaving Session. A SE First Pass And Then A DE For 2nd And 3rd. Then Again Sometimes I Use Only A DE Or SE. They Both Have Advantages And Weak Points. I Vote "Can't Choose".

I've been on an SE binge lately, but today I picked up my R41 2011. Although my SEs are very efficient, none of them works as well as my R41, on my face.

And I bet your skin is smooth as a peach Scott - the 2011 R41 is a derma-peel on a stick!:lol: In a good way...

I am constantly amazed at what a great selection of efficient razors is available. Like you, my favorite in the stable keeps changing...

You're so right, David. The R41 is my favorite today, but last week it was the British 1912. Next week I'll turn to the Wolfman and ATT H2, neither of which I've used in months. Re-discovering the unique experience each razor provides is a lot of the fun. It's hard to believe that, at one point for several months, the H2 was the only razor I owned. I had decided that there couldn't be a better razor, but the question we all ask ourselves finally took hold: "I wonder if there's anything better out there?" Many dollars and razors later, I'm still asking the question.

Both

$worms.jpg

DE, and it's not even close. Haven't found a single SE razor that I enjoyed using and could get a decent shave from. Not one.

I'm thinking it's the blades that ruin it for me. It took me a long time to find the DE blade that was just right for me. With SE I don't like either choice.

I would be willing to try the new ATT SE1 because I think that the feather pro blades are a lot nicer than conventional SE blades.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I alternate DE and SE , I love the shave from both. The only day set in Stone is Sunday
for My 1936 Aristocrat

I'm kind of new here and haven't been wet shaving for very long, only about 3 months. I can't decide either I have DE's, an injector, and a GEM featherweight. I have shaved with all of them and I get great shaves with them all. I even have a SR I started shaving with and even get a good shave with it. I think it all boils down to technique and what blade you use in which razor. I get BBS to all most BBS shaves with them all.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have not tried a SE wafer blade that I really liked. OTOH, I do like a wedge blade in a SE. The edge is potentially sharper and it just seems to shave better, assuming you know how to hone and strop it. I have various wedge SE razors but like others here I like the lathercatchers the best.

I also like my Gold Executive (gold plated FB, basically) and it's younger cousin, the 60's Gold Aristocrat, which is essentially a gold plated Slim. I have those, and a no-name 4 piece, and I may have either a FB or a Slim without the gold somewhere on the boat. Of the DE razors, I basically only use the two gold razors. They seem to glide so much more nicely over my face. The same Feather DE blades I use in them, I also use in my low budget shavettes. Really though, I am a straight shaver 99% of the time.

If I had to choose between wedge SE and DE, I would go with the wedge blade SE. Wafer blade SE razors just don't do it for me, though.

I only just recently tried single edge and haven't had much luck with it, I get a close shave but some irritation too. So far I prefer DE as the shave is comparable but without the irritation, I do keep trying though. Though I have to say I prefer the way the DE's feel in my hand to any single edge I have held leaving the shave aside.

I really couldn't choose. I use both, depending on my mood, and with both DE and SE I rotate between old and more modern razors.

Which shaves better is dependent on the razor/blade combo and maybe the phase of the moon. For me, it's a Gem 1912 w/Ted Pella blade vs. 2011 R41 w/ASP vs Rockwell 6S or Merkur 37C combined with a well stropped Personna Med Prep. All of these will give me a BBS. However only a couple of those combinations leave me with a velvety face. Which I hold higher than a mere BBS.

Top Bottom