What's new

Getting close on the neck

I either shave with my str8 or my IBC with feather AC blades. With the feather 2 pass shave wtg is all I need and smooth clean shaven. With the str8 not even close I have to do like 4-6 passes wtg to get it clean and even then it's taking some pressure and irritation. So I have started doing ATG a few times it gets it clean shaven but causes irritation. 2 wtg and 1 ATG. On the cheeks i just do 1 wtg 1 Xtg. XTG I am not able to accomplish on my neck. Opinions ideas anything to help? Idc about being BBS just a matter of clean shaven.

If you can do it with a Feather blade and not with a straight, it sounds to me like the difference is blade sharpness. I have the same problem. Getting a straight sharp enough to give me a comfortable shave is not easy. Even the straights I've sent off to be sharpened by a pro have never come close for me. I can get a straight close to that Feather level of sharpness occasionally but haven't been able to do it consistently yet.

What's worked best for me so far is finishing on a Surgical Black Arkansas. After a couple hundred laps on it, I'll shave test the razor on my worst spot, the chin. If it's not there yet, another hundred laps and another shave test, then repeat until it takes off chin whiskers easily.

I've tried refreshing that edge with 7 or 8 laps on a CrOx treated linen strop. When it works, it works really well and the edge is even better than off the Arkie but I can't get that consistently for some reason.

I'm starting to think that really good straight edges are incredibly fragile :) But I keep working on it. I want to try Diamond spray or CBN but just haven't got around to it.

Last edited:
That is what I was thinking. I'm considering sending it in to get honed and ordering a second along with some hones to learn.

I agree with Larry...if your razor is sharp you should be on par with anything...one pass WTG on a proper sharp straight is good enough for most days (I like to go BBS but that's just me).

Thanks guys. I'm debating if I should try and learn to hone, I think I may be complicating my life!!! I was considering buying the Norton set and a dmt 325 for lapping. And maybe a naniwa 12k

Learning to hone your own edges will complicate your life a bit :). But it's a fun hobby and pretty satisfying. You will need to sink some money into hones. The Norton has been an old standby for a long time but I'd recommend going with Naniwas instead. A 1, 3, 8, & 12K will do about anything you'll ever need to do. But if you're going to send your straights out for sharpening, a 12 K for touch ups would keep you shaving for a good while.

Thanks guys. I'm debating if I should try and learn to hone, I think I may be complicating my life!!! I was considering buying the Norton set and a dmt 325 for lapping. And maybe a naniwa 12k

Same boat...not about the complication but the time which I don't have....Naniwas have been recommended to me as well. Just think of it as a savings from sending them out for service...the stones will pay for themselves in no time if you have many razors.

The neck is tricky because hairs grow in all sorts of weird angles. Let your hairs grow out enough for you to determine the angle at which they grow.

After you've figured it out, try shaving WTG at the required angles. Don't even worry about BBS skin. Mastering a decent shave first is what's most important.

Top Bottom