What's new

Looking for a new brush

I'm primarily a face latherer and i am looking for a brush. I use both creams and soaps and I am wondering if the Simpson special in best is adequate for this purpose.

I agree Semogue 620 after it has been broken can't be beat. I've tried a few badgers and boars. The 620 is just a perfect balance of backbone and soft.

Simpsons are good brushes for sure. Personally, I would go for a Berkeley over a Special, and the best grade is very nice IMO!

Much too many to choose from! What is your price range, what size and characteristics are you looking for in a brush?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I really like my SOC boar. I use it to face lather with both creams and soaps. For me it's got enough backbone for hard soaps and is soft enough that it feels great on my face. I've only had it for about 3 weeks, but has become my goto brush and is getting better with every use. Some people have said their's took a while to break in, but mine was good to go out of the box. I also have a Vulfix 660s which is slightly larger than the Simpson Special and is also a great brush if you go the badger route.

Adam

My price range is 37 eur or 350 nok (toll limit) and i would like to purchase it from giftsandcare.com as they have the cheapest, though not most extensive collection of simpson brushes.I am looking for a short loft, small knot brush, but exceptions can be made. Basically that leaves me SOC boar, wee scot, special and case in pure and special in best. the 620 is out of stock, but will surely be restocked after a while

The SOC is probably the softest boar I own after being broken in!

The Vulfix as is my understanding and someone can correct me... are proprietary to Simpson. The handles are lower quality but the knots are the same. I own a Vulfix 660 Large and it is a little floppy but a great bowl lathering brush. I would not hesitate to buy another Vulfix.

And to add I shaved with the Vulfix today! You can see a pic in my shave journal.

Simpson is owned by Vulfix. My handles by both makers are the same in quality. I've heard some are different. I think the Vulfix could work for face lathering since it might spread excess lather all over. My Vulfix 2234 opens up like a hand and holds a big glob of soap in the middle. After reading reviews, I went with the Berkeley as the cheapest brush that would hold together.

Just a question. How are the vulfix pure badger brushes?

Had one....once for about a week. That was as soon as I could get shed of it. One of the nastiest brushes I have ever had the misfortune to use. Cheesy plastic handle, knot had the same feel as my Oral B60.

However, the two Vulfix brushes I have owned, both in Super Badger, were superb brushes. I would buy another for sure. I just really don't need any more brushes.

Last edited:
Much too many to choose from! What is your price range, what size and characteristics are you looking for in a brush?
+1. This is truly spot on. There are a large number of great brushes out there at every price point. It really comes down to how much you want to spend. Since you mentioned Simpson, I have the Duke #2 in Best Badger and find it to be wonderful!!!

I love Simpsons brushes but, personally, if my budget only stretched to a pure badger then I'd probably look at boar instead.

My experience is that best grade is where you really start to get the experience of a good badger brush and I could wholeheartedly recommend a Simpson Berkley for your needs, as someone else has above, even if it does require a bit of flexibility for your budget.

Yep! In that price range you should also consider a Berkely and Colonel (my prference is best not pure badger)!

Ok i got the special in best, as it seemed the logical entry brush into the simpson world, definetely looking at the colonel as my next purchase though. or maybe the wee scot

Top Bottom