What's new

Your favourite simpsons badger

My favorite Simpson badger brush is the Duke 3, Two Band Silvertip. To me, the knot feels similar to my SV brush in terms if softness, but in a much smaller package. It's not only my favorite Simpson, but my favorite brush overall, but then I generally prefer smaller knots.

If you want something closer to the size of your SV brush, perhaps a Chubby 2 in Two Band Silvertip would be a good choice. I've not tried one myself, but would like to based on my experience with the Duke Two Band Silvertip.

While I like Simpson's Best grade of hair (I currently have 3 of them), all the ones I've used have had a bit of scritch, so that may be a pro or con depending personal preferences.

The one I don't have yet. Seven Simpson badger brushes (1 Best, 5 Super, 1 Silvertip Two Band, all Chubbies, all recent production) and they are/were either not very good or just OK. None of them is/was as great as their price. None. Same for my experience with their customer service, not as great as the price of their brushes, IMHO.

Trying my luck with Shavemac now.

That's too bad they didn't work out for you. I have zero experience with their recent production examples. All the Simpsons brushes I had were from many years ago now. If the quality has taken a hit, that's really unfortunate.

FWIW I do recall some issues folks had around the tail end of independent ownership and right after they were taken over by Vulfix. After that the quality seemed to be fairly consistent, at least for a few years.

What was wrong with the brushes out of curiosity? Also, why did you buy 7 of them if they weren't for you or the quality was off?

I hope Shavemac works out for you. I think they make good stuff and may give them another shot down the line. This time it would be a synth brush though.

I own a dozen recent Simpsons and have never had a quality or shedding issue.

I did have one "shedder" from them, years ago. After a couple of weeks and attempts of combing the brush out to see if it would calm down, the vendor replaced it no questions asked. This was a long time ago though, and I'm not sure how a vendor or Simpsons themselves would deal with the same problem at this point in time.

What was wrong with the brushes out of curiosity? Also, why did you buy 7 of them if they weren't for you or the quality was off?
I think this could be discussed in the other thread dedicated to the brand, I don't want to drag this discussion too off topic. I wanted to post my opinion and say why I do not have a favorite, simply none of them had the wow factor I was expecting.

I am just posting this picture because I have it with me, to give an example of my experience. Two CH2 Super. The one on the right is OK. Not GREAT but it is a good brush. Maybe a little scrubby if you force it a little too much on your face, but Simpson discourages it, so that does not count. The one on the left, less hair (it was even noticeably lighter on the scale), lesser quality hair, scrubby, prickly and finally not even well handcrafted. I think the picture says it all. Again, same brush and technically same GREAT price.
Why seven brushes? Well, shaving is a necessity, a pleasure and a hobby. This is the "hobby part". I wanted to explore the brand and get my own opinion about their brushes. I actually wanted to like them. I may even buy a Manchurian in the future, just to get the complete picture.

comparison CH2 Super.jpg

I think this could be discussed in the other thread dedicated to the brand, I don't want to drag this discussion too off topic. I wanted to post my opinion and say why I do not have a favorite, simply none of them had the wow factor I was expecting.

I am just posting this picture because I have it with me, to give an example of my experience. Two CH2 Super. The one on the right is OK. Not GREAT but it is a good brush. Maybe a little scrubby if you force it a little too much on your face, but Simpson discourages it, so that does not count. The one on the left, less hair (it was even noticeably lighter on the scale), lesser quality hair, scrubby, prickly and finally not even well handcrafted. I think the picture says it all. Again, same brush and technically same GREAT price.
Why seven brushes? Well, shaving is a necessity, a pleasure and a hobby. This is the "hobby part". I wanted to explore the brand and get my own opinion about their brushes. I actually wanted to like them. I may even buy a Manchurian in the future, just to get the complete picture.

Interesting. The one on the left looks like it has some darker, potentially scritchy hairs mixed in. If that is truly the case, I would not have been satisfied either with a brush like that. Certainly none of the nicer badger brushes I owned, including a Tulip 3 2-band, had anything like that in them.

Quite honestly, you're a lot more committed than I would be. Had my first experience with Simpsons been bad, I would have given them one more chance. If that second chance did not do the trick, I would have simply moved onto another brand.

FWIW I am done with expensive natural brushes these days. I kept a few natural brushes but sold several nice ones off. I doubt I will ever buy another $200-300 brush ever again.

Just for curiosity, I was tempted by a synthetic Simpson with a pretty emerald green handle. It was inexpensive, but if I am not satisfied I will plainly say so.

I don't have a Simpson's that I dislike, however -
Favorites - as in ones I reach for most:
Commodore x3, followed closely by Duke3 or Chubby2 - All in Best

Strictly face latherer

Two band silvertip for me (face latherer). None so far have disappointed me (although I am not a brush cognoscenti so perhaps my standards are not that high). I am gradually replacing my few Simpson Manchurians with 2BS as I find appealing examples (providing I have discretionary funds at the time of opportunity). The only 2BS I have sent packing was a CH2 but that's because being a slow learner I kept on trying — and failing — to like a Chubby handle.

I only own a Duke 3 in best. Can confirm a tiny amount of scritch as @cvac stated earlier, but unlike him I like it. Knot size is ideal for me, also a fairly dense knot. It does not shed.

One of the main reasons I like it is the little bit of scritch. If I wanted to avoid that I'd just reach for one of my synthetic brushes.
Probably my second favorite brush from them. I don’t mind the small amount of scritchiness in their best grade knots

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My favorite is a vintage Polo 8 with the two-band super of the good old days. Followed by two Manchurian, one is a M6 and the other a Tulip 3. I also have a Tulip 3 in the three band super which took months to decently break in and lose its scritch.

I've never looked at Simpsons site in detail before. There was always a problem with it. Fixed now.
What a choice. Its like looking into a large sweet shop!
I have SV badger and chubby 2 synthetic, but thought I'd treat myself to an early Christmas present l! No budget in mind but not synthetic.
What's simpsons owners favourite brush and why .. I both bowl and face lather.
I'd very highly recommend the two band silvertip hair.
Perfect combination of backbone and softness, with great flowthrough.
I feel the perect size for it is 23-27mm (Duke 3 or Chubby 1 for the smaller size, Chubby 2 for the bigger)

Attachments

• IMG_8586.jpeg
    IMG_8586.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8478.jpeg
    IMG_8478.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
Within 2 years of joining, I had 9 Simpsons (all in Best), 3 Rooney silvertips, Saville Row, Thater 2 and 3 bands, and others. I always liked Simpson brushes. When I wanted to treat myself, I would email Mark, and ask him to pick me out a brush based on my current likes. With shipping, it was more expensive ordering direct than ordering from a US vendor, but Mark said he'd pick me out a good knot and didn't disappoint. I still have a Rover and Duke1 in regular use. Love that Rover handle and thick knot.

I'm at work right now so no pics:

Duke 3 in Best; nice but too small
Chubby 3 in Best
Chubby 2 in Best; past favorite
Chubby 2 In Super; current favorite
Chubby 2 LE Ivory Swirl in Sovereign
Chubby 2 Butterscotch In Platinum Fibre; Serious Contender.

marty

I decided on the MAJOR M1 in super, and love it after only 3 shaves.
Beautiful to look at, high quality in every sense. I'd no intention to go as small as a 17mm knot, but it feels SO much larger on my face and makes large amounts of creamy lather. Do load heavily and enjoy the shave.

1000000510.jpg
^This is hands-down the best Simpsons brush I've ever owned. Purchased earlier this year in June, I think, direct from the Isle of Man.

They advertised the badger hair as High Mountain Manchurian Badger, it's a 24MM x 52MM loft.

Wicked soft, great backbone, without question the best face lathering brush I own.

The hair is a lot less scritchy-scratchy than a 2013 Manchurian Badger PJ3 I owned once upon a time. Just simply perfect.

Top Bottom