What's new

MDC vs Haslinger

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have been reading about MDC for years here and finally pulled the trigger. The price was a few cents under $60 with the shipping. In the glass container this is some heavy soap. I often hold the tub upside down for the start of the load, but I'm afraid I will drop this one in the sink.

Aside from the beautiful, heavy glass, the first thing I noticed was how full it was. You couldn't fit another dollop of soap in there. I have read that it lasts a long time, but I've been using it for two months now and I believe anyone looking at it would call it full. It's simply amazing how little product is required. I knew the initial price shock would be reduced by the longevity, but at the rate I'm going this is going to end up an average priced soap.

I have dry skin and have always ended my shave with WH followed by balm. I find the MDC leaves a very nice finish to my skin. The shave is wonderful. NO WEEPERS IN THE TWO MONTHS OF USE. I'm a careful shaver and it's not unusual for me to go a month without a weeper, but this is a new record. I assume I will eventually earn some. But I always thought that technique was the sole supplier of weepers. I still think it's mainly technique, but I'm beginning to believe that lather can play a part. I don't think that lather will save you if your technique really goes south, but still . . .

I have the Haslinger Schafmilch soap and it comes up second to the MDC. But what surprises me is that it's a very, very close second and I purchased three of the small pucks for around $18 with shipping. The cushion is ever so slightly better with the MDC and the post shave face feel is a little better with the Haslinger. I have some fine soaps that really do a nice job, but they are a step below - and most for the same price or higher.

I am frankly amazed at the quality of this soap at this price point.

Having used both soaps, I agree with you that Haslinger provides exceptional shaving (regardless of cost). For me, Martin de Candre only beats Haslinger in the packaging department. H is that good.

Thanks for your review. MdC is still my favorite overall but I am really enjoying Haslinger's also. I am a heavy soap user and always shoot for a 4 pass shave so I probably get somewhat less shaves out of a container of MdC than most. However, I have been tracking cost per shave of about 50 different soaps over the last number of years and my average cost per shave is around $.18/shave. Even with its long life, MdC is costing me about $.29/shave but the extra dime is well worth the experience. I seldom get weepers with it and it just feels so fresh and clean afterwards. I pay about the same for Haslinger's as you do so my cost per shave works out to about $.20/shave so I guess you could say Haslinger might be a better value. If there ever was a large volume U.S. distributor for MdC where shipping could be reduced, MdC would be an even greater value. However it is what it is. For me MdC remains the luxury experience I am willing to spend a little more on. Haslinger is just a very high quality soap at a reasonable price that I am very thankful to have discovered.

I love MdC. Without question it is my favorite. Requires very little product to get a thick, very slick lather. Many complain about the post shave feel. I have had a completely different experience. I really enjoy the post shave experience of MdC. It leaves me fine clean and appropriately moisturized.

With regard to the packaging, MdC packaging is luxury. It is very hard to tell, but, the jars now are actually PETG (plastic). Not glass.

Yes, both are excellent soaps for sure. That said I don't think I'll be buying MdC again but certainly I will get more Haslingers Hoenig and Scharfsmilch.

Bob

The Martin De Candre/Catie's Bubbles type formulations lack slickness and dry my skin out.
The ingredients just don't offer much and, for the cost, I think these makers are swindling customers to a certain extent.
Haslinger is far superior.

Nice review! Thanks!

My experience is generally similar. You are comparing two top drawer products IMO!

For me, MdC wins the packaging and scent. Haslinger's wins on performance and post-shave feel!

MDC and haslinger are my two favourite soaps in shave universe, they are the only one in my re-buy list. Take it with a pinch of salt though as i tend to lean toward creams slightly but leaving in the uk there are so many great british cream ...

Top Bottom