What's new

gem featherweight

Okay, after my first shave with my Shovel Head, and finding that it was one of the smoothest shaves I ever had, I got to thinking about my first razor way back in high school. It was a white plastic handle GEM type with a tab on the back side of the head that open and closed the head. Real simple and massed produced stuff. I did some research and found that this was a Featherweight made in the late 50's to early 60's which puts it at the right time frame. I am thinking of getting one, but thought I would ask you all first how it shaves and if there are any quirks to it.

Featherweights don't get a lot of respect but they are smooth mild shavers and cool little razors. There are a couple of variations of the head, although the differences are minor and they shave the same. One variant is the same head as used with the G-Bar. There are different finishes and different color handles. I've got about 6 variants and there are undoubtedly more.

They're super common and dirt cheap - I don't think any of mine were over $10 and a couple were less than $5.

$fw1.JPG

Above is one of the less common ones, with an olive green handle and matte finish head, instead of the usual ivory handle and chrome or gold head.

--Bob

Top Bottom