What's new

Returning To DE Shaving After A Long Absence

I started shaving circa 1967 and my first razors were a Gillette Tech and a Gillette Adjustable TTO, which I no longer have. Somewhere in the mid 1970's I got a Gillette twin track and used that for around 10 years. In the mid 1980's I got a Norelco electric razor and used that for four or five years and then went back to the twin track. At some point I replaced the original twin track with a pivot head twin track and use that up to the present.

A week or so ago I decided to give DE shaving a try again. I still have an unused Colgate mug soap and an unused Surrey Deluxe Natural Boar brush that my sister gave me in the mid 1990's as she was unaware that I no longer used DE razors.

Tonight I received a bakelite handle Gillette Tech made in the late 1940's which I got off of Ebay and which is in great shape. Soon I will get a Schick Korona from the same source, and a couple of more Colgate mug soaps, a Burma Shave mug soap, and a couple of Williams mug soaps. I've also ordered a synthetic bristle brush. I ordered a Dorco Prime Starter Set from the Dorco web site but that didn't work out as I received a bunch of womens multi-blade razors and other womens shaving gear instead. Dorco says I can keep the women's razors and they will re-send the Prime Starter Set.

Once I get the Korona I will clean and sanitize both it and the Tech and then commence DE shaving again. I'm looking forward to it. Next weekend will be my first DE shave in approximately 40 years. I shave every other day and will probably continue using the twin track weekday mornings when I shave as I am pressed for time to get ready to go to work. Or, I may start shaving in the evenings with a DE before I go to bed. :001_smile

Last edited:
I started shaving circa 1967 and my first razors were a Gillette Tech and a Gillette Adjustable TTO, which I no longer have. Somewhere in the mid 1970's I got a Gillette twin track and used that for around 10 years. In the mid 1980's I got a Norelco electric razor and used that for four or five years and then went back to the twin track. At some point I replaced the original twin track with a pivot head twin track and use that up to the present.

A week or so ago I decided to give DE shaving a try again. I still have an unused Colgate mug soap and an unused Surrey Deluxe Natural Boar brush that my sister gave me in the mid 1990's as she was unaware that I no longer used DE razors.

Tonight I received a bakelite handle Gillette Tech made in the late 1940's which I got off of Ebay and which is in great shape. Soon I will get a Schick Korona from the same source, and a couple of more Colgate mug soaps, a Burma Shave mug soap, and a couple of Williams mug soaps. I've also ordered a synthetic bristle brush. I ordered a Dorco Prime Starter Set from the Dorco web site but that didn't work out as I received a bunch of womens multi-blade razors and other womens shaving gear instead. Dorco says I can keep the women's razors and they will re-send the Prime Starter Set.

Once I get the Korona I will clean and sanitize both it and the Tech and then commence DE shaving again. I'm looking forward to it. Next weekend will be my first DE shave in approximately 40 years. I shave every other day and will probably continue using the twin track weekday mornings when I shave as I am pressed for time to get ready to go to work. Or, I may start shaving in the evenings with a DE before I go to bed. :001_smile
Where did your sister get the Boar brush, and are you going to sell the ladies shave gear you inadvertently received?

I don't know where my sister got the boar brush. She lived in Charlottesville, VA in the mid 1990's so she probably bought it at a drug store or department store in Charlottesville.

As for the ladies shave gear, if Dorco doesn't take me up on my offer to send it back to them if they pay return shipping I don't know what I will do with it. My wife has no interest in it. I have two nieces who live in Japan and I might send it to them but it will cost me approximately $25 to do so and they may not be interested in it either.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

[MENTION=109952]Steve H[/MENTION] We are so glad you are here! Thank you for sharing with us your shaving adventure! It sounds like you have a great amount of experience and you would be a great addition to B&B. Poke around the forum and see what people are talking about. I am sure you have a wealth of knowledge you can share with us. Welcome to Badger & Blade!

Great stuff, I now shave in the evening with time on my side i find it far more enjoyable then rushing bleary eyed.
Welcome back to the joy of shaving.

I used to shout /And rant and rave/ But now I use / My / Burma-Shave.
I haven't heard anyone reference Burma-Shave in years.
Welcome to B&B Steve :thumbup1:

Top Bottom